Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:51 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Margaret Sanger was anti-abortion. It was contraception she was pushing.

You should also read the entire quote from Ginsburg from the interview.
That would take effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well yeah she was saying kill the poor. Is that somehow acceptable in your eyes?
Well, no, that wasn't what she was saying. And as a rural woman of limited means, I think I should have the same rights as a wealthy woman living in Chicago when it comes to making decisions regarding my reproductive health. Is that somehow unacceptable in your eyes?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:12 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Well, no, that wasn't what she was saying. And as a rural woman of limited means, I think I should have the same rights as a wealthy woman living in Chicago when it comes to making decisions regarding my reproductive health. Is that somehow unacceptable in your eyes?
Even Sandra Day O'Connor said it was odd that men (on SCOTUS) would make the final decision concerning women's bodies.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
"Frankly I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of."

Hot Air » Blog Archive » What did Ginsburg think Roe would do?
I'm less apt to think that she was concerned with controlling the black population so much as providing more impoverished women with the same choices as more affluent ones. She's always been a big (but short) supporter of women's rights.

To satisfy curiousities, I could just as well ask her in the next card I send

Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:

Well that is quite a stretch. Why won't you take her words at face value

"Frankly I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of."

"growth in a poulation we don't want too many of"

Who would that be?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Roe gives all women the right to an abortion. Now women like yourself want the "right" to reach into my wallet to pay for your abortion. Nice try.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Well that is quite a stretch. Why won't you take her words at face value

"growth in a poulation we don't want too many of"

Who would that be?
What population, indeed?

Surely, it couldn't be the population of women who don't want to bring another child into this world because they are ill-equipped to take care of it.

After all, who was Roe, and why would she have been representative of a "population" that Ginsberg wanted to practice eugenics upon? You accuse me of stretching? But you're trying to play the eugenics card when it involves a lower-middle-class single white woman? Who exactly has ever wanted to practice eugenics on this group of women?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Roe gives all women the right to an abortion. Now women like yourself want the "right" to reach into my wallet to pay for your abortion. Nice try.
You clearly don't have a clue. If a waitress in Mtn Home Arkansas gets pregnant, where does she go to get an abortion? There are only TWO clinics in the state of Arkansas that provide abortions. She doesn't want you to pay for the abortion, but she might actually like to keep her job. Funny thing, waitresses often don't get vacation time. And some places even require a doctor's excuse to excuse an unpaid sick day. So she has to take a day off work, just to drive to a city where she can get an abortion. And then she has to take another day off to comply with the waiting period. And the hotel costs at least a day's pay. She may have to take a third day off to drive back home. If there are any complications, bye-bye job.

The laws against abortions don't stop affluent women in urban areas from having abortions. There are at least 20 clinics in Chicago alone that provide abortions. The laws stop poor women in rural areas. Because who cares about them? Certainly not you.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
What population, indeed?

Surely, it couldn't be the population of women who don't want to bring another child into this world because they are ill-equipped to take care of it.

After all, who was Roe, and why would she have been representative of a "population" that Ginsberg wanted to practice eugenics upon? You accuse me of stretching? But you're trying to play the eugenics card when it involves a lower-middle-class single white woman? Who exactly has ever wanted to practice eugenics on this group of women?
Hey these aren't my words they are hers and they are pretty plain. She was hoping a specific part of our population wouldn't be brought into the world. She is a bright woman and has a great fund of words. She could have used them to make the point you attribute to her rather than the one she made.

Her words were clear.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Hey these aren't my words they are hers and they are pretty plain. She was hoping a specific part of our population wouldn't be brought into the world. She is a bright woman and has a great fund of words. She could have used them to make the point you attribute to her rather than the one she made.

Her words were clear.

Zing! Right over your head.

She did make my point. You just want to INTERPRET her words as advocating some sort of eugenics, without actually making that connection. If you're advocating eugenics, then there is a segment of the population that has a genetic identifier that you want eliminated. Explain what genetic group she was talking about. Otherwise, your interpretation of her words has NO foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies