Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It is true that certain groups have benefited,teachers and government workers but what of the rest of the people???
It was said that no jobs were saved. I'm telling you there WERE jobs saved....

Now think about it. In what sector can the GOVERNMENT most readily save/create jobs? That's right, within the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC
There should be some stats showing how many jobs have been created,unless of course very few have....
The stat SHOULD still be there regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC
Actually the stimulus was a waste of money we do not have.Interfering in business and deciding some cannot fail is not the government's job.
The War in Iraq was a waste of money we do not have, TARP was a waste of money we do not have, and yes, quite possibly the Stimulus Bill is a waste of money we do not have....

This is our government at work.... Not JUST the Dems..... Not JUST Obama......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:38 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
I find this idea that it is better to try something even at great cost rather than to wait and see puzzling....

It is better to perhaps waste billions(or to actually waste billions as with GM and Chrysler) than to wait and see.

Remember how it was all such a rush because if we didn't do something bad things were going to happen....well it seems bad things ARE happening and we STILL spent the money(that we do not have)...

I guess if $700+ billion wasn't enough we should simply double or triple it...that will REALLY make things better.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 AM

551 posts, read 855,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
What happens??

Pretty much what would have happened without the Stimulus Package... Probably intensified a bit in my guesstimation because of the added debt....

But is it worth trying? Your opinion on that depends on whether you're assuming it's a failure already... Like I said, I believe it's going to fail, but I'm not going to crap on it prematurely.
I can answer my own question, we will be at least $787 billion more in debt.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I find this idea that it is better to try something even at great cost rather than to wait and see puzzling....

It is better to perhaps waste billions(or to actually waste billions as with GM and Chrysler) than to wait and see.

Remember how it was all such a rush because if we didn't do something bad things were going to happen....well it seems bad things ARE happening and we STILL spent the money(that we do not have)...

I guess if $700+ billion wasn't enough we should simply double or triple it...that will REALLY make things better.
Well, again it's the magic of the "We'll never really know what would have happened" that we can argue back and forth until the end of time...

Some think we would have run into economic armageddon, and some think it would have sucked, but we would have had more ingenuity as to how to make our credit markets and economy work again WITHOUT having to prop up this crappy system we have....

I don't claim to know. All I'm claiming is that we don't KNOW if the Stimulus Bill was simply a big waste of money or not. I'm not some champion of the Stimulus....

Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
I can answer my own question, we will be at least $787 billion more in debt.
IF the Stimulus Package actually stimulates growth in the economy though, then it WAS worth the effort.

AGAIN, you cannot pay back $11.5 Trillion with a broken economy. IF the stimulus package actually WORKED it would be paying back (say) $13.5 Trillion with a functioning and growing economy again....

Bottom line.... I can tell you option 1 will NOT work. I can't really say one way or the other on option 2....

Of course I don't see our government ever paying back any of it, so......

Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Just once I would like to see realistic predictions. Planning for the best case scenerio is just stupid. It is time we demand honesty from our politicians. You plan for the worst..hope for the best.. how much more simple can it be for our idiots in charge?
Because that's not what most people want to hear. They want to walk around with blinders on until they run smack into a damn wall - then they want to blame it on the government for mis"leading" them.

If he'd made a statement saying "We'd like to see the unemployment rate decrease but we're hoping that our actions will at least keep it steady or slow down the increase" people would freak out. They'd rather hear a false unrealistic prediction.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
what the people want is not to have their money wasted and our government seems to be doing just that.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I don't think there is one government program that pays for itself nevermind generate extra money.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think there is one government program that pays for itself nevermind generate extra money.
EPA- Removal of lead from gas.

Benefits much greater than costs.

Just 1 of many examples.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
All I'm claiming is that we don't KNOW if the Stimulus Bill was simply a big waste of money or not.
Based on what obama said it would do - keep UE below 8% and create immediate jobs, we now it hasn't worked.

In fact it is much worse WITH the stimulus than he said it would be WITHOUT the stimulus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies