Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times

Advertisements

Goldman Sachs is one of if not THE most corrupt businesses on this planet.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I dont think they have to be corrupt -- the money game is "corrupt" all by itself. I dont see any indictments being handed down.

This says it all as far as Im concerned about people who live and breathe money:

"The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."

THE DAILY BANTER.COM: Goldman Sachs: Criminal Enterprise

(That link also has a quote from Noam Chomsky, you might like him, txboomerang )

But Im sure their profits are legitimate. Their every step is scrutinized -- and they're so big and so successful they dont need to break laws.

The problem is they're SO big and powerful -- they and a few other financial beasts -- that they can affect the fates of nations. But that's capitalism.

You're not criticizing capitalism, are you?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:52 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Good for them! Long live capitalism! Woo Hoo!!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Goldman Sachs made a killing off the bailout of AIG, since Goldman was one of AIG's largest counterparties. The government stepped in and ensured that AIG's debts were paid out at an incredible 100 cents on the dollar.

And now Goldman apparently has people believing they made all this profit just by "being smarter" and "making good trades."

Well sure, it's a pretty "good trade" when you regularly cycle your former CEOs into the Treasury Department...

I hope no one here is actually fooled by this particular scam, though it appears some are.
At least someone gets it - but as for the others, i guess you can get fooled all the time.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:24 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I wish I had a job where I was paid no matter how bad my performance and got a fat bonus every time I actually did what I was hired for.

I guess it's just another example of our modern society's tendency to reward mediocrity.
Get into politics then Joe....that's the fast track for big money for slackers

Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I agree A lot of blood has paid for their money.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Good for them! Long live capitalism! Woo Hoo!!!!
“I, for one, would like to know why Goldman Sachs and other Wall Street firms were allowed to abscond with so much of the rescue money that AIG received from the government,” said economist Ed Yardeni of Yardeni Research Inc.

A rapid rebound for Goldman Sachs - The Globe and Mail

Old 07-14-2009, 04:47 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
well, of course they had a good quarter. They're the smartest investment firm in the world. People and businesses are going to trust their money to them ESPECIALLY in iffy times.
i think you might get an argument whether they were the smartest firm on wall street or the most connected firm on wall street.....

Old 07-14-2009, 04:55 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Goldman Sachs is not a wealth producing enterprise it’s a wealth stealing enterprise, be you and investor, client, or the taxpayer, they steal the wealth from you and to give it to them.
Goldman was humbled along with the rest of Wall Street when the financial markets froze last year. As a result, it lost money in the final quarter, a rarity for the bank. Along with other big banks, it was compelled to accept billions of dollars in federal aid, which it paid back last month.

But not the $13 billion Sachs got funneled through AIG, or the $28 billion big it borrowed on the cheap on you and me via the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
Sure Goldman was humbled when the financial markets froze, and they had to pick the peons pockets for $10 billion in pennies, but unlike the rest of Wall Street Goldman blames you for it. So now in move of enormous up yours-manship with a virtual monopoly on the commodities markets Goldman prepares to say Vuck you, with huge profits, made on the money you lent them and gave them without wanting to, while you clip coupons and edge towards the unemployment lines.
(bank implodometer)

by the way,2009-07-14 — housingwire.com

"Goldman Sachs Group (GS: 150.36 +0.62%) posted strong $3.44bn net earnings for the second quarter of 2009 (Q209) DESPITE A $700 MILLION DOLLAR LOSS ON COMMERCIAL MORTGAGES.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
This is my first post and I thought I would spare you my long winded commentary. I am posting a link on Goldman Sach's and how they have the upper hand on manipulating the market.
The article shows how they fuel and profit on bubbles such as the dot.com and housing. They are front and center on the next bubble which is going to be cap and trade after our leaders pass the bill.
Here is something that the {R} of the forum might be shocked by, here is a teaser talking about our good friend Hank Paulson form the Bush admin :

Back in 2005, when Hank Paulson was chief of Goldman, he personally helped author the bank's environmental policy, a document that contains some surprising elements for a firm that in all other areas has been consistently opposed to any sort of government regulation. Paulson's report argued that "voluntary action alone cannot solve the climate-change problem." A few years later, the bank's carbon chief, Ken Newcombe, insisted that cap-and-trade alone won't be enough to fix the climate problem and called for further public investments in research and development. Which is convenient, considering that 'Goldman made early investments in wind power (it bought a subsidiary called Horizon Wind Energy), renewable diesel (it is an investor in a firm called Changing World Technologies) and solar power (it partnered with BP Solar), exactly the kind of deals that will prosper if the government forces energy producers to use cleaner energy. As Paulson said at the time, "We're not making those investments to lose money."
The article is a very lengthy read but is worth the effort. And I will worn you that I am not educated but would appreciate any feed back to debate or learn from. Go here :
The Great American Bubble Machine | Corrente

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies