Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times

Advertisements

More right wing propaganda from....Robert Reich????

Ooops,looks like people are coming to grips with what is happening.

Quote:
The so-called "green shoots" of recovery are turning brown in the scorching summer sun. In fact, the whole debate about when and how a recovery will begin is wrongly framed. On one side are the V-shapers who look back at prior recessions and conclude that the faster an economy drops, the faster it gets back on track. And because this economy fell off a cliff late last fall, they expect it to roar to life early next year. Hence the V shape.
Unfortunately, V-shapers are looking back at the wrong recessions. Focus on those that started with the bursting of a giant speculative bubble and you see slow recoveries. The reason is asset values at bottom are so low that investor confidence returns only gradually.
That's where the more sober U-shapers come in. They predict a more gradual recovery, as investors slowly tiptoe back into the market.
Personally, I don't buy into either camp. In a recession this deep, recovery doesn't depend on investors. It depends on consumers who, after all, are 70 percent of the U.S. economy. And this time consumers got really whacked. Until consumers start spending again, you can forget any recovery, V or U shaped.
Problem is, consumers won't start spending until they have money in their pockets and feel reasonably secure. But they don't have the money, and it's hard to see where it will come from. They can't borrow. Their homes are worth a fraction of what they were before, so say goodbye to home equity loans and refinancings. One out of ten home owners is under water -- owing more on their homes than their homes are worth. Unemployment continues to rise, and number of hours at work continues to drop. Those who can are saving. Those who can't are hunkering down, as they must.
When Will The Recovery Begin? Never | CommonDreams.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:08 PM

79 posts, read 74,130 times
You had better be joking about this! I bloody well mean it.

A recovery has to happen, otherwise you will get millions of westerners mowing down the world in anger.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Well read the link and see his reasoning...how will the economy recover when 70% of the GDP is consumer spending?

Old 07-12-2009, 05:13 PM

I am not American. I assume that an American recovery will benefit us al.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chav View Post
You had better be joking about this! I bloody well mean it.

A recovery has to happen, otherwise you will get millions of westerners mowing down the world in anger.
And this would be stage 1 :
1. Denial

Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Look, man to man, I am being nice here, nice to you, nice to everyone here and I say what the hell are you talking about: Denial?

Since last year, my life has gone up,way up from other people, and my family. The money has been good, but I see it being squeezed by the mess that is happening all around me. I want to see the recovery, the interest rates to go up so savings will make more.

Like I said, this is my calm side. Others have seen me kick off and I tell you, at 27 and getting chest pains because of this is no laughing matter.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chav View Post
Look, man to man, I am being nice here, nice to you, nice to everyone here and I say what the hell are you talking about: Denial?

Since last year, my life has gone up,way up from other people, and my family. The money has been good, but I see it being squeezed by the mess that is happening all around me. I want to see the recovery, the interest rates to go up so savings will make more.

Like I said, this is my calm side. Others have seen me kick off and I tell you, at 27 and getting chest pains because of this is no laughing matter.
Didn't mean to offend and I see you are new here.

I think the reality is that we will not go back to the way it used to be.
I don't know what the future holds but you cannot use debt to grow and you definitely cannot spend your way out of debt with more debt.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well read the link and see his reasoning...how will the economy recover when 70% of the GDP is consumer spending?
Just like it has every time we have a recession. Maybe all the younger folks on this board have never experienced an economic downturn before, but they have happened, and we've recovered, and consumer spending was a large part of GDP then too.

Some of you deserve the "Chicken Little Award" for the most alarmist.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
More right wing propaganda from....Robert Reich????

Ooops,looks like people are coming to grips with what is happening.

When Will The Recovery Begin? Never | CommonDreams.org
Quote:
Robert Reich was the nation's 22nd Secretary of Labor and is a professor at the University of California at Berkeley

UC berkley backbone of conservatism. lol

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 07-12-2009 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 PM

Hey HappyTexan, I wasn't offended by anything you said and debt? I never had debt in my life, even my outgoings are no more then 15%,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies