Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:37 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times

Advertisements

We have a Supreme Court nominee who made statements about feeling kinship with members of similar ethnic background. One who went so far as to say that empathy with one's background was a part of a judge's decision-making process whenever cases came up that involved people of slimilar background.

Now imagine that a case came before this judge after appointment to the SCOTUS, and the judge overturned decades of established case law in order to rule with a person of similar ethnic background. Wouldn't that be outrageous? Wouldn't that get the conservatives up in arms? Wouldn't they be horrified at an act of judicial activism that showed racial bias?

Wouldn't they? Apparently not.

Samuel Alito, an Italian-American, said this at his confirmation hearing:

Quote:
When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account.
Recently, in a case before the SCOTUS, he ruled against prevailing precedent in order to side with an Italian-American.

I guess bias isn't a question when it's a white man. Or a conservative.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
We have a Supreme Court nominee who made statements about feeling kinship with members of similar ethnic background. One who went so far as to say that empathy with one's background was a part of a judge's decision-making process whenever cases came up that involved people of slimilar background.

Now imagine that a case came before this judge after appointment to the SCOTUS, and the judge overturned decades of established case law in order to rule with a person of similar ethnic background. Wouldn't that be outrageous? Wouldn't that get the conservatives up in arms? Wouldn't they be horrified at an act of judicial activism that showed racial bias?

Recently, in a case before the SCOTUS, he ruled against prevailing precedent in order to side with an Italian-American.

Thank you for that post! Good info.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:40 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Quote:

A white man in politics can't proclaim his whiteness without being guilty of some sort of racist hate crime.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
A white man in politics can't proclaim his whiteness without being guilty of some sort of racist hate crime.
What are you going on about? You seem to be angry that you can't be openly racist.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Based upon the historical role of exerting one's whiteness, why would you be surprised? You folks who like to jump on this logical fallacy seem to dismiss , forget or at least think that the rest of us are stupid for not remembering the the historical context of such statements.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:43 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Nice way to sugarcoat it. Some of her comments have been blatantly racist. For example:

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." -Sotomayor

Last edited by arctichomesteader; 07-16-2009 at 05:52 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I don't want to hear what she says. I want to know how she's ruled. If she flaps her gums one way yet judged differently, I wouldn't have a problem with her. The only thing I appreciate with this go-'round with this nominee is no Senator Biden to ramble on about himself and baseball for excrutiating long periods of time, without asking a question.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:52 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:

You're right on the money again. Good post.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:21 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:

So you ARE admitting that Soto is biased?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't want to hear what she says. I want to know how she's ruled. If she flaps her gums one way yet judged differently, I wouldn't have a problem with her. The only thing I appreciate with this go-'round with this nominee is no Senator Biden to ramble on about himself and baseball for excrutiating long periods of time, without asking a question.
Well, now you've heard how Alito ruled. Aren't you going to speak out about it? There's more evidence now that he rules based on ethnicity than there is about Sonia Sotomayor. Wingnuts are calling her racist. Why not Alito?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies