Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,529,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
talking too much sense for the australian police !! they are only good for beating up Aborigines
It was reported that "Mitchell ran from the house at the officers carrying a container believed to contain fuel and a cigarette lighter." It was also said that the man had a history of violent offences.

Now let me see. Back in my cop days if someone I knew to be violent, and probably also knew to be a sniffer, had run at me with a container I believed to contain a flammable liquid and a lighter, I'd have dropped him on the spot and NOT with a taser!

I've every confidence it would have been declared a good shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,639,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
FTR, the woman who sued McD's over the hot coffee required skin grafts because she had third degree burns...
After a showcase trial, the judge awarded her exactly one dollar. (She was supposed to have enough common sense to know that a cup of hot coffee might be hot. D'oh!)

And back on topic, I think the point of this thread had more to do with his bursting into flame than being tasered. I wonder if this has ever happened before...or even been claimed.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,272,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It was reported that "Mitchell ran from the house at the officers carrying a container believed to contain fuel and a cigarette lighter." It was also said that the man had a history of violent offences.

Now let me see. Back in my cop days if someone I knew to be violent, and probably also knew to be a sniffer, had run at me with a container I believed to contain a flammable liquid and a lighter, I'd have dropped him on the spot and NOT with a taser!

I've every confidence it would have been declared a good shoot.
this is why you need a gun ban !!! lunatic gun culture !!

trumped up violence charges LOL besides he s probably been victimised all his life.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,529,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
this is why you need a gun ban !!! lunatic gun culture !!

trumped up violence charges LOL besides he s probably been victimised all his life.
I realize that this will be a real stretch for you but try hard to think before you toe the party line and prove your inability to develop individual and original thought.

I'll try hard to put this in language you just might understand.

Me cop -- Him snuffing vapors -- Me show up -- Him come running at me with flammable liquid -- me see lighter in his hand -- him capable of splashing flammable liquid on me --Him also has means to set me on fire -- Me shoot him before he has chance. Get it?!?!

No, of course you don't.

Alol criminals are merely poor, misunderstood products of an uncaring society and you wish you could hug them all and invite them to live with you.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,910,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by re1427 View Post
ah......the same people that are for killing babies are still against hurting criminals.
Who wudda thunk? ..

Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,272,668 times
how about you get neighbour's hose and hose him down?

dont they have extinguishers in unit cars?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM

20,299 posts, read 37,246,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I take it your a conservative christian?

Hundreds of people have died from being tasered. Anyone with a few firing brain cells would see that using the SAME process as an AED/Defibulator WILL cause deaths.

Tasers have also been heavily misused as well, from punative punishment for not immediatly obeying a cop (a "chase-rage" style of attack on citizens) to tasering someone to get DNA evidence in Niagara County, NY.

Tasers are certainly a valuable tool, IF USED CORECTLY, for our law enforcment officers. But their use needs to be seriously examined and highly regulated.

I suggest a full investigation every time one is deployed, much like the types of investigations used with the deployment of a service weapon, complete with administrative leave, as well as regular and heavy training in taser use,t he same recieved for firearm use.
The guy ran toward the policeman, and was told to stop. More than likely the guy was a gasoline junky (gasoline sniffer), which is rampant in AU. A lot of young people, most of which are of Aboriginal descent, walk around with a soda can-that has gasoline inside-hanging from their necks. That's their way of staying in a constant high, much like the glue sniffers in the US.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,560,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbogdan81 View Post
I think cops are taser happy - they might as well shoot them in the foot. Would cause less damage.
The new billy club, they can deliver a huge amount of pain without drawing blood, and more importantly, it takes very little effort on their part. Beating a man senseless with a billy stick, nightstick, baton is hard work, but now thanks to technology they can deliver punishment without breaking a sweat.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,641,614 times
I am no fan of tazers, but this idiot took a gas bath by his own doing. He could have burst into flames by falling onto the ground and generating a spark from his belt buckle on the concrete. He asked for it, he got it. Hard to feel sorry for him, and kind of stupid to use this as a strike against tazers. There are already plenty of valid reasons to advocate against tasers.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,419,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The guy ran toward the policeman, and was told to stop. More than likely the guy was a gasoline junky (gasoline sniffer), which is rampant in AU. A lot of young people, most of which are of Aboriginal descent, walk around with a soda can-that has gasoline inside-hanging from their necks. That's their way of staying in a constant high, much like the glue sniffers in the US.
And none of the officers had a billy club, and none smelled the gasoline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies