Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:36 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,308 times

Advertisements

I like to make these forums a little fair and balanced. What i did not notice is a post on the TARP money yet. Okay, remember that money that Bush-Obama combined administrations lent out to those nasty banks. Well, guess what? We all are making our money back and then some. YAY Goldman Sachs paid back their TARP money which has resulted in a 23% return on investment for American Tax Payers.

How many of you were making that amount of money on your own investments?

Well, personally i'd like my tax money back now lol

[SIZE=2]"Chafing at the restrictions, and with the cash available to repay the debt, Goldman paid the government the $10 billion to cover the loan. The warrants to purchase common shares, however, remain outstanding."[/SIZE]

Goldman Sachs back in the black, pays back TARP funds | KATU.com - Portland, Oregon | National & World News

Yay and we still have warrants to purchase additional shares in the nations number #1 investment bank. This could turn into a huge return on investment for tax payers as long as Goldman Sachs stock continues to go up!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:39 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
They can pay back the dollars when the curtain is unveiled and it loses 90% of its inherent value as a currency.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:40 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Ya but....

Old 07-22-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
They can pay back the dollars when the curtain is unveiled and it loses 90% of its inherent value as a currency.

I respect your opinion even if some other things have to happen before we are in such a dire position, so what's the current inflation rate ViewFromThePeak?

If the current inflation rate has surprised 8% - 40% i'll start to worry about the value of the US dollar, but as long as the dollars loses value, it could help clean up our trade imbalances and put some exporting workers back to work, so unless we are experiencing rapid inflation, which i do not believe we are, i think you are unjust to feel the way you do. Now, i will hold your sentiment if the Fed Starts to print massive amounts of money to pay for government debt, but that is currently not happening.

You cannot have the dollar just magically loose value without a number of factors most importantly an increase in the money supply and inflation, so please thoroughly explain your response.

Wait, now we are going to complain that the banks are paying us back and our financial system for now, may have been saved from total destruction? Can we pick a side do we want the US to succeed or Fail?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:07 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,663 times
How about the money they got when they took over AIG, will the government get that money back or does it go to profit for Goldman Sachs?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
How about the money they got when they took over AIG, will the government get that money back or does it go to profit for Goldman Sachs?

SilverOne, this is an odd question. I'm not sure why the money that Goldman Sachs borrowed would someone how go to AIG or the profit that Goldman Sachs makes would go to AIG? They are two separate companies. We own AIG (we being the tax payers). We also own a rather small portion of Goldman Sachs. Personally, my position is fix AIG, and sell it back to the private sector at a profit for the rest of us tax payers. I'm pretty sure this is the plan of the government. I do not see them attempting to run this company very far into the future. However, they're looking to make a significant profit on it considering they paid 80 billion to own the business. I'm betting they'll sell the company in parts to the private sector hopefully for 110 Billion in total, so we make some sort of profit on it since we are all invested in the darn company.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:45 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post

Wait, now we are going to complain that the banks are paying us back and our financial system for now, may have been saved from total destruction? Can we pick a side do we want the US to succeed or Fail?
I'm afraid that your little "return on investment" has been re-spent 100 times over by the drunken sailor you call "president".

Old 07-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I'm afraid that your little "return on investment" has been re-spent 100 times over by the drunken sailor you call "president".

I would agree it has probably gone to pay for your social security in the near future or perhaps your medicare payment? Do we really want to get into these pointless one sided silly arguments, that hold little weight to the problems we have in America. I highly doubt any of it has gone to pay for a Universal Healthcare system that has yet to go through and be approved by Congress. It is sort of hard to pay for something that isn't even a law yet.

Forgive me if I'm jumping to conclusions on your post, but for some reason, if the money was already spent it most likely went to the two most wasteful social programs we already are finding it hard to support.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post

You cannot have the dollar just magically loose value without a number of factors most importantly an increase in the money supply and inflation, so please thoroughly explain your response.
Don't hold your breath.

Quote:
I believe you have forgotten where you are and who you are dealing with.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
U.S. Department of the Treasury (“Treasury”) has created 12 separate programs involving Government and private funds of up to almost $3 trillion...

...As detailed in Section 3 of this report, the total potential Federal Government support could reach up to $23.7 trillion...

...This support is spread among numerous Federal agencies, with the Federal Reserve System (“Federal Reserve”), providing one of the largest support packages ($6.8 trillion if each initiative were implemented to its maximum authorized level).
http://www.sigtarp.gov/reports/congress/2009/July2009_Quarterly_Report_to_Congress.pdf (broken link)

Just go the the little "find" box and type in "trillion"... Have fun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies