Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times

Advertisements

I mean, I know why we don't hear about it, but do you ever wonder why we don't hear about it? is it because it would make the politicians look like the absolute fools that they are? the more exxon makes, the more the feds take in. the feds LOVE the oil companies. of course, when talking to the lowest common denominator, the american voter, they will vilify "big oil."

let me give you a primary example. the housing bubble. we had counties, collecting taxes on houses unrealistically appraised at 2x3x the true value. they were making massive amounts of money off of this scam, where they can tell you what your house is worth, and tax you accordingly. so for two years, the county governments were getting 3x their normal income from property taxes, which normally go to fund schools. then when revenue goes back down to realistic numbers, no one has enough money. it was enough before the bubble, but it's not enough revenue now, and the teachers are getting laid off. not to mention, what the hell did they do with the surplus? I'll give ya a hint. they wasted it, just like government always does.

so next time, before you start complaining about the "record profits" for big oil, perhaps you can ask yourself, what did they do with the "record revenue?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:47 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I mean, I know why we don't hear about it, but do you ever wonder why we don't hear about it? is it because it would make the politicians look like the absolute fools that they are? the more exxon makes, the more the feds take in. the feds LOVE the oil companies. of course, when talking to the lowest common denominator, the american voter, they will vilify "big oil."

let me give you a primary example. the housing bubble. we had counties, collecting taxes on houses unrealistically appraised at 2x3x the true value. they were making massive amounts of money off of this scam, where they can tell you what your house is worth, and tax you accordingly. so for two years, the county governments were getting 3x their normal income from property taxes, which normally go to fund schools. then when revenue goes back down to realistic numbers, no one has enough money. it was enough before the bubble, but it's not enough revenue now, and the teachers are getting laid off. not to mention, what the hell did they do with the surplus? I'll give ya a hint. they wasted it, just like government always does.

so next time, before you start complaining about the "record profits" for big oil, perhaps you can ask yourself, what did they do with the "record revenue?"
And oil companies get punished for being profitable and efficient while banks get saved for being inept business disasters.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
And oil companies get punished for being profitable and efficient while banks get saved for being inept business disasters.

wouldn't it be nice to have someone in washington say, "look, we screwed up. we don't know how to manage money." but no, they would instead say things like, "well look how much money exxon made!" and the dolts eat it up.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
The government is not for profit.
Have you guys no knowledge of the government?
If not, why not educate yourselves before you post.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The government is not for profit.
Have you guys no knowledge of the government?
If not, why not educate yourselves before you post.
you are a jaded person if you think the extortionists in the government are not for profit. clearly you need to educate yourself on everything. the difference is that one profit earned, and the other is extorted. if something is not for profit, then they must have the bare minimums. guess that's why chuckie rangel has a leased cadillac the tax payers pay $1000 per month for. oh that's right, that's not from profit, that's part of the "budget."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies