Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:56 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I know it's not an offense. I said "assuming it is made an offense if you wish." That's also why I put "offense" in quotes. (The First Amendment would prevent criminalization of this sort of action, but I want to hear what that poster hypothetically thinks would be appropriate.)
Ok... sorry I should have known what you meant by the quotes.

I don't know the law but I would assume (yeah, that's dangerous) that there would be repercussions if the same sign were displayed in a place of business or non-private property area. So whatever repercussions those are, I think would be applicable here.

Does anyone know what kind of result that would lead to?

I would guess that the federal Civil Rights law would come into play but I don't know how.

Thanks.

Hopefully someone knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 04:02 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
I could care less what flag is waved in celebration of whatever holiday. By your standard you would also like for all Irish Americans to stop waving their Irish flags to celebrate St. Patricks day! And doing so is comparable to a sign: "Hispanics Keep out". Oh but no, you only have a problem with Mexican flags, so please ban all Cinco de Mayo celebrations effective immediately Oh I would love to see you in NYC in the summer!! There's a parade just about every weekend. Parades to celebrate just about every heritage there is, but you'll probably have a heart attack because they wave foreign FLAGS!! THE HORROR!!

Going back to the OP, this sign is insulting. It'stargeting a certain ethnic group, she's a racist bigot who thinks that all Hispanics are illegal. If she has a problem with Illegals she could just as easily put up a sign: "Illegals Keep Out".
I didn't say I wanted them to stop waving their flags, I just asked why CNN was all up in arms about this when she is CLEARLY not violating any laws. It is a double standard. The Mexicans and every other ethnicity waving their flags in this country never get criticized by CNN or any other media network about them offending other people who don't like them waving their flags.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:08 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
I feel sorry for this woman because it shows than even with all the opportunities that we are given in this country, some people still choose to remain totally ignorant and uneducated. It bothers me because in Texas, there are many 4th and 5th generations Hispanics who are just as American as any other race. In fact, there are many Hispanics in the military right now making the ultimate sacrifice so that she can have the right to spew her ignorant nonsense. Truly, an example of an unenlightened, ignorant person who should rather be ignored than understood.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:46 PM

79 posts, read 94,200 times
Someone will give this old white bigot racist women Obama care and put her out of her misery because she is to old. I wonder what would happen if I put a sign on my house no blacks allowed?

Old 07-25-2009, 04:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
its about behavior but everybody wants to talk about skin tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies