Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Doctor friends of mine would love it if THEY could actually CARE for patients, not some MBA deciding the level of care. I was talking to a neurologist the other day and he was telling me how when he sees a patient, he has to give them at 3 least options of care and then has to submit them to an insurance company and whichever one THEY decide they will cover, wins ... that's not right.
The problem with healthcare (and everything else) in the US is LAWYERS. Drop the rush to reform health care and instead lets focus on reforming the courts. When your doctor doesn't have to pay a million/yr for insurance and refuse patients due to lawsuit risks the health of our nation will be elevated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
please ask those canadians you know how the health care is in middle of december when all the funds for the year are gone. not emergency care, but health care.
If they are Reaganista's they will just put it on the card. Who cares about debt?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:58 AM

66 posts, read 103,272 times
Quote:
please ask those canadians you know how the health care is in middle of december when all the funds for the year are gone. not emergency care, but health care.
it works like a financial deficit my friend......the government does print money out of thin air and add on the annual deficit zeros without it actually affecting anything..

pure scaremongering

Old 07-26-2009, 06:02 AM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
The problem with healthcare (and everything else) in the US is LAWYERS. Drop the rush to reform health care and instead lets focus on reforming the courts. When your doctor doesn't have to pay a million/yr for insurance and refuse patients due to lawsuit risks the health of our nation will be elevated.
So if the doctors don't have to pay high insurance premiums they will lower the cost of medical services out of the goodness of their hearts and their altruisitic outlook on life?

Puh-leese.

That ranks right up there with the price of gas at the pump going down because we drill for more oil in the U.S. You have been trained to pay what they want. I doubt seriously many if any would choose to lower their fees just because they lowered their expenses.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:05 AM

66 posts, read 103,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So if the doctors don't have to pay high insurance premiums they will lower the cost of medical services out of the goodness of their hearts and their altruisitic outlook on life?

Puh-leese.

That ranks right up there with the price of gas at the pump going down because we drill for more oil in the U.S. You have been trained to pay what they want. I doubt seriously many if any would choose to lower their fees just because they lowered their expenses.
that's where a government regulator body is needed for "fixing" prices, especially when the taxpayer is footing part of the bill. It didnt help the Franny/Freddy fiasco obviously because the regulators (Federal Reserve) are scumbags and leechers.

But you cant tell me all medical practitioners are scumbags, which are the ones fearing a government cap on their fees

Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:

Puh-leese.

Doctor's don't set prices for their fees, nor for their malpractice insuance .. INSURANCE COMPANIES DO!! See, this is the core of the problem, insurance companies. Non medical professionals setting prices and fees for medical professionals.

I do agree on tort reform, however, but much of this is done on the state level. Wonder if a federal statute on tort reform would help ...

Old 07-26-2009, 06:22 AM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
^ Thanks for the refocus.

Now.

What value does health insurance add to medical care compared to the associated cost?

Old 07-26-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:

Puh-leese.

The insurance companies have been putting the squeeze on both doctors and the consumers for the last 20+ years while they rode the malpractice wave to the bank. Docs have been driven out of private practice by ridiculous rates even without any past suits. The result has been insurance run "medical groups" that have no choice but to submit to the whims of the insurance companies.

How can anyone not look at the last 30 or so years of medicine in the US and not connect the dots?

I would love to see our country provide healthcare to everyone of its citizens, I would hate to some half-assed plan get rushed through that will not succeed. Slow it down a little, review the situation, and actually examine what got us where we are.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,489 times
Quote:
Huh? It doesn't work that way up here. There are no quotas or budgets or anything that affects a doctor's level of care. Health care is rationed by need. If you have a strong medical need for a CT scan, a MRI or surgery then you will get it immediately regardless of the time of the year. The people who wait are those that go to their family doctor and ask for a MRI from an occasional headache that they think might be a brain tumour. They get put on a long wait list unless there is other corroborating evidence. The U.S. system is perfect for hypochondriacs who can afford pay-as-you-go healthcare. I had my own health problem and I was treated better here in Canada that I would have been in the United States even with a generous health care insurance plan. I was given complete control of my surgical choices and ultimately invented a solution of my own (parts of one choice and parts of another). Cost was never mentioned (although I did choose something that required 5.5 hours on the operating table) and my surgeon's only concern was the complication risks that I was prepared to live with. As it turned out, everything went very well and I was able to save an already damaged kidney. I have no doubt that a U.S. HMO plan would have taken the 1.5 hour surgery to remove the damaged kidney and left me to live with one healthy kidney (which is all you really need). I probably would never have been told of my other options. During the whole process, I had a ton of tests performed including multiple CT scans, MRIs, nuclear radiology, etc... As I said before, cost or budgets were never a factor.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
They're not complaining. They like their system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies