Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 02:23 PM

38,007 posts, read 22,187,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Practical truth can be deduced, proven, shown to be by its parts. Perception is irrelevant in this process as the process itself exists to remove or lessen the influence of bias. This is exactly why the scientific method exists. This is why logic exists. These are the tools which are no longer being used to assess a claim.

My response is concerning the youth no longer being taught these key tools to find the practical truth of an issue.

look at the responses here. Fallacies after fallacies. The reasoning to proclaim for instance AGW being true by many posters are assumptive and emotional claims.

I have posted many times discussing these topics with many different people. The result often comes down to them being ignorant of basic logical process, of the very topic to which they claim supports their position.

If I ask why AGW is true, I get fallacies such as "consensus". If I show quantified evidence as to an error in one of the key foundations to the a certain position, for instance the surface records. I get more fallacious responses of source credibility or author association.

While there are also arguments equally fallacious on the other side, the point is that both are wrong in their application of reasoning.

This thread uses weather as a means to claim climate and yet the only difference between weather and climate is time. Also, if you read into the science, much of the same things you accuse posters here of in terms of disagreeing with an AGW claim is common place in the research to which you claim makes it true.

The science is not settled and the more and more people show that it is not, show flaws in it, and bring about uncertainty concerning the research, the more emotional fallacies of rebuttal are made concerning urgency, common sense fallacies, personal attacks, and simply plain ignorant denial. That is right, I see more denial from those who support AGW than those who do not. I see it in tons of research where it is shown that the method, data, or conclusion is measurably flawed and the researcher blows it off with assumptive excuses such as "it won't change anything" and then proceed to hide their data from those who would aduit them.

The IPCC has been found to be extremely biased in its reports and its procedures as have many of the key researchers whose work is the foundation for AGW. Many of these political organizations are corrupting the science to fit their agendas and the researchers are capitalizing on politics to sell their work.

All the while the youth fall victim to fallacious appeals to authority and are told not to question, but to accept out of an emotional appeal.

The problem is not with parents, it is with the stupid kids and adults who are responsible for their own decisions on information they "choose" to accept because it falls into line with whatever political position they hold.

Different year, same old Salem Massachusetts.
Once we look into the motives behind people who support AGW as a cause for great alarm and call for a need for immediate government action, the more skeptical we should all be, and the more we should scrutinize their claims, and the more doubt we should cast on the sincerity of their claims and the more dubious of their sources for data we should all be. If they start to demonize those who dare to disagree with their claims and motives, the more skeptical of their claims we should be.

Last edited by Wapasha; 07-27-2009 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just a thought...

Climate change, whether man-made or a natural occurrence, will increasingly make life for all living things more challenging and disrupting.

We'll be seeing more drought, crop destruction and food shortages, habitats turning into deserts, islands engulfed by water, populations displaced, more forest/grassland fires, floods and other extreme weather occurrences. All these things are happening right now.

Are we fiddling while Rome burns, so to speak? Pointing fingers and arguing causes?

Hadn't we better be doing something other than arguing--like preparing?

This argument is another "showcase" moment for the rightwing in this country, to reveal their pathologies and their ignorance.

Climate Change is a huge issue, and its happening, and we have to try and control it while the rightwing echochamber of FOX/Limbaugh blast daily a counter argument that, even though they know nothing of science and have been rightwing shills their entire journalistic lives, they are taken seriously by their listeners.

So not only do we have climate change to contend with, we also have to contend with ignorance and denial. It's quite a challenge and I seriously hope we have a government that takes it seriously. I have my doubts still under Obama about anything meaningful being done. It's too late to talk about it. That time is past.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You're just wrong. And you're making things up. When does mistake just become a lie?

Here is AAAS' latest statement,

Climate change and sustainable energy supply are crucial challenges for the future of humanity. It is essential that world leaders agree on the emission reductions needed to combat negative consequences of anthropogenic climate change at the UNFCCC negotiations in Copenhagen in December 2009. At the same time, agreement is needed on actions to ensure basic energy services are available to all of the world’s people.

http://www.nationalacademies.org/inc...-climate09.pdf

There is unprecedented agreement among scientists that anthropogenic climate warming is a pressing problem.
So now I'm a lair for for disagreeing with you?

So humans are responsible for the warming that took us out of the little ice-age?

BTW, the IPCC is part of a political group, seeking power and influence, and not interested in the truth. I completely ignore anything these people have to say.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM

769 posts, read 888,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Climate Change is a huge issue, and its happening, and we have to try and control it

This really showcases the narcissism of the left. Control the earths climate? While we are at it why don't we stop the next earthquake. I implore you to read into the research done by the IPCC yourself. Their models "predict" future climate with +/-500% errors as clearly stated in their research. That means if their models say it could increase by 3 degrees, that same model is saying that it could also increase 15 degrees, or -15 degrees, our data isn't accurate enough to state which. We can't even predict the climate and you suggest controlling it.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
This argument is another "showcase" moment for the rightwing in this country, to reveal their pathologies and their ignorance.
LOL, so your argument as it always seems to be "It's righwing thing". Ok we get it:

YouTube - Klavan On The Culture

Damn I love that video.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Climate Change is a huge issue, and its happening, and we have to try and control it while the rightwing echochamber of FOX/Limbaugh blast daily a counter argument that, even though they know nothing of science and have been rightwing shills their entire journalistic lives, they are taken seriously by their listeners.

So not only do we have climate change to contend with, we also have to contend with ignorance and denial. It's quite a challenge and I seriously hope we have a government that takes it seriously. I have my doubts still under Obama about anything meaningful being done. It's too late to talk about it. That time is past.
If you can open your eyes for a minute, you'd see that many, if not all of us who skoff at Owl Gore, would like to see a cleaner world, we'd like to get off coal and gasoline. We want a measured intelligent approach to new technologies, because no matter the amount of negative or positive influence more CO2 may have, the pollutants that go along with them are not a good thing.

We just do not want the fanatics forcing us to run us all off a cliff, at the point of a gun, in the form of draconian federal mandates, laws and punishing taxes.

If the earth is going to implode, because of CO2 induced warming, which I disagree with, what freaking good will it do to go about brutally punishing America, if the developing nations refuse to cooperate, in fact when they will exceed our CO2 contributions?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:50 PM

769 posts, read 888,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If the earth is going to implode, because of CO2 induced warming, which I disagree with, what freaking good will it do to go about brutally punishing America, if the developing nations refuse to cooperate, in fact when they will exceed our CO2 contributions?
Because it is a world wide progressive tax system.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,072,488 times
Quote:
So now I'm a lair for for disagreeing with you?
No about the scientific agreement on anthropogenic climate change.

Quote:
So humans are responsible for the warming that took us out of the little ice-age?
Nobody ever said that. It's called a strawman and is used by people trying to perpetuate lies.

Quote:
BTW, the IPCC is part of a political group, seeking power and influence, and not interested in the truth. I completely ignore anything these people have to say.
That's kind of a so what. I quoted AAAS as one of many scientific professional societies that have virtually all endorsed the reality of anthropogenic climate change and the need to take immediate steps.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
This really showcases the narcissism of the left. Control the earths climate? While we are at it why don't we stop the next earthquake. I implore you to read into the research done by the IPCC yourself. Their models "predict" future climate with +/-500% errors as clearly stated in their research. That means if their models say it could increase by 3 degrees, that same model is saying that it could also increase 15 degrees, or -15 degrees, our data isn't accurate enough to state which. We can't even predict the climate and you suggest controlling it.
I didnt suggest controlling climate, I suggested reducing greenhouse gases and researching alternative energy (wind, solar, geothermal, battery, alternative fuels, etc..) because these greenhouse gases are proven to contribute to climate change by their very chemical properties.

No one can control the weather but if our lifestyle is contributing to its change, which it is, we need our governments to pursue alternatives.

And most governments are the reason in the first place and act for financial gain which is in contrast to preventing it. They in fact are profiting from it.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
If you can open your eyes for a minute, you'd see that many, if not all of us who skoff at Owl Gore, would like to see a cleaner world, we'd like to get off coal and gasoline. We want a measured intelligent approach to new technologies, because no matter the amount of negative or positive influence more CO2 may have, the pollutants that go along with them are not a good thing.

We just do not want the fanatics forcing us to run us all off a cliff, at the point of a gun, in the form of draconian federal mandates, laws and punishing taxes.

Dont even bring up the name Al Gore. I am concerned about climate change and NEVER think about what Al Gore is doing, or saying. He has been a spokesmen in times past, but who really cares what hes doing now? This problem is bigger than anyone, and it trumps politics. It's not about partisan bickering, its about the earths climate changing, and getting warmer. It's happening 2 to 3 times faster at both poles than it is towards the equator, but if it reaches the level it is at at either polar region in our latitude in North America, you wont be complaining so much then I would guess. But by then its likely too late, and the damage could be irreversible. We dont know exactly what will happen. Many studies suggest climate refugees, and some reports are its already happening in the South Pacific. No one knows what it will bring, but why not act beforehand before the worst of it happens?

Education is key. Disinformation is rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies