Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times

Advertisements

Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.

Articles about obesity have been flooding the media. I can't turn on CNN lately without them going on and on about the deleterious effects fat people are having on our insurance rates.

People are actually suggesting the obese be refused certain kinds of foods at restaurants...imagine that...are we going to have to have cards with our daily BMI listed before can be seated by the maitre d'? Will my wife and I have to step on a scale before we are allowed into a restaurant? What kind of society are we turning into?

And the wave of disdain being unleashed on the obese is staggering. News shows love to depict fat tummies and rears walking by, and suggestions are made that Congress has to step in.

I don't give a damn is someone wants to pudge out, and I'm sure as hell not worried about health costs because of fat people. If Congress really wanted to help the public they would put the screws to the lawyers and come up with strict limits on malpractice lawsuits. My $85 annual medical checkup in 1995 is now $450 in 2009. That's to pay for all the people my doctor had to hire for his backoffice paperwork and his malpractice insurance.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with obese people and health insurance premiums...that's a red herring folks, and we are being told it's okay to hate fat people because it's all their fault.

This is evil, vile stuff that this country is being sold.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
I don't think anyone is advocating hatred. Reports about obesity have been in the news for a long time. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out the health risks associated with being obese.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:36 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Who hates the obese?
Personally, I encourage the obese to add on more pounds. Eat more junk food! Try to gain about 20 pounds per month. Put your skeleton and heart to the test, see how much they can take.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:41 PM

68 posts, read 111,706 times
Fat people do it to themselves and then complain about how they're treated. No sympathy here.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.

Articles about obesity have been flooding the media. I can't turn on CNN lately without them going on and on about the deleterious effects fat people are having on our insurance rates.

People are actually suggesting the obese be refused certain kinds of foods at restaurants...imagine that...are we going to have to have cards with our daily BMI listed before can be seated by the maitre d'? Will my wife and I have to step on a scale before we are allowed into a restaurant? What kind of society are we turning into?

And the wave of disdain being unleashed on the obese is staggering. News shows love to depict fat tummies and rears walking by, and suggestions are made that Congress has to step in.

I don't give a damn is someone wants to pudge out, and I'm sure as hell not worried about health costs because of fat people. If Congress really wanted to help the public they would put the screws to the lawyers and come up with strict limits on malpractice lawsuits. My $85 annual medical checkup in 1995 is now $450 in 2009. That's to pay for all the people my doctor had to hire for his backoffice paperwork and his malpractice insurance.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with obese people and health insurance premiums...that's a red herring folks, and we are being told it's okay to hate fat people because it's all their fault.

This is evil, vile stuff that this country is being sold.
This is a tired old ploy used by liberals, and the sheeple in the Democratic Party fall for it every time.

You demonize a group of people, whether its the "rich", Wall Street executives, tobacco companies, or DOW Chemical. Once the politicians have you despising the very air they breath.... it makes it easy for the politicians to pass legislation to destroy their companies, over tax them, or just write laws to unfairly single them out for some penalty or punishment, that would otherwise never be tolerated by the people, or allowed under the Constitution.

Today they are trying to pass 0bama's health insurance plan, so its all about demonizing doctors, insurance companies and the obese. Tomorrow they will want to pass energy carbon tax legislation, so the evil doers will be big oil, coal-fueled power plants, people who use electricity and drive gasoline powered vehicles.

Liberal democrats always need their sheep hating some specific group or individuals, so they can tax them, destroy them, or marginalize them and control them.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This is a tired old ploy used by liberals, and the sheeple in the Democratic Party fall for it every time.
Ah, if only the entire country could be as wise as everyone in the Republican Party. It's true: You're always right, and the Democrats are always wrong.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,220,933 times
Fat people have always been fair game, but it seems to be getting more brutal. People are scarred for life by the unkind words. And the result is that many get heavier. It's cruel and mean. I wish I could understand why people do this.

I'm sick of hearing that skinny blonde, Mimi, I think - can't find her name and the group that she represents on google, but this is her fifteen mintues, so we will know it soon enough- say that being overweight is related to a lack of "will power and motivation". Just saw her again being interviewed by Campbell Brown. IMO, people like her are causing more harm than good and helping to make it okay to judge overweight people.

Somehow I think that Oprah's battle with weight is about a little more than a lack of will power and motivation. Or the lack of access to fresh produce.

Give me the fat and fabulous over the mean and skinny any day.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
not so i love fat people
the fat die young, helpless and happy
the lean are beautiful, empowered and often mean

Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ah, if only the entire country could be as wise as everyone in the Republican Party. It's true: You're always right, and the Democrats are always wrong.
When you have lost the argument, and all else fails, you guys always resort to sarcasm and ridicule, right on cue. ROFL

Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,704 times
Well, fat people can open their own restaurants, and make them private. Members only. "Must weigh over 300 pounds to eat here. No skinny people !" We have an epidemic of obesity in this country. I don't ever recall seeing so many morbidly fat people back in the 1950's. It's not funny watching entire families literally waddle to the "all you can" eat buffets. Some of them will drive around in the parking lot in order to get a parking space close to the entrance. I see them loading up their two grocery carts with the most vile food. Cream pies, pizza, soda, cookies, baked goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies