Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:37 PM

149 posts, read 830,800 times

Advertisements

Millinions of people become US citizen every year.
So what if a natural-born US citizen abandon their US citizenship and become citizen of the other country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 07:38 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
So what if a natural-born US citizen abandon their US citizenship and become citizen of the other country?
I believe the U.S. allows dual citizenship.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
If a person felt that they could gain a higher quality of life in another country and had the freedom to move, then I see nothing wrong with it as long as they use legal channels to immigrate to the other country.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:43 PM

What irks me is when new immigrants show disrespect for their new country after immigrating. I think immigrants should do what they can to assimilate into mainstream society in their new country and make it their home. This includes learning the language and respecting our land.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I think immigrants should do what they can to assimilate into mainstream society in their new country and make it their home. This includes learning the language and respecting our land.
I wish there had been talk boards in the 19th Century so we could read nativist making this argument about immigrant Irish Catholics and Italians.

Dude the US is now and has always been about amalgamation not assimilation. We take as much from our immigrant fellow citizens as we give. With each new wave of immigration American culture changes and when it ceases to change it will stagnate and die.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:08 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I wish there had been talk boards in the 19th Century so we could read nativist making this argument about immigrant Irish Catholics and Italians.

Dude the US is now and has always been about amalgamation not assimilation. We take as much from our immigrant fellow citizens as we give. With each new wave of immigration American culture changes and when it ceases to change it will stagnate and die.
Have you forgotten those immigrants put learning the language on the top of their list. You didn't see them waving their native country flag while begging for immigration rights.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

What opportunities will exist for immigrants to improve their lot in life if they don't learn the language of the land?

Old 12-25-2008, 08:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
I would consider that an act of betrayal. It is one thing- and quite fine with me- for a person to accept citizenship in another nation but it is quite another thing to renounce your citizenship in the United States. Very very few people who become citizens of the USA renounce their citizenship in the country they were born in. Even those who fled oppresion in places like the USSR remained citizens. Renouncement is like telling your country that you hate it and no longer wish to be a part of it.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:42 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Legal immigration traditionally involves changing citizenship from one country to that of another. That is as it should be, and that's how it's usually been done, in the past. No 'betrayal' involved, but a life-changing decision to 'put away the old' and 'begin the new'.

I do NOT, however, agree with the concept of 'dual citizenship', because I believe that citizenship in its very definition implies SOME measure of loyalty to the country of which you're a citizen. You can SAY you're loyal to TWO countries...or to three, or to ten...but at some point, you must choose. What happens if a "dual citizen" has duties to BOTH countries, and there's a conflict? He'd have to choose sides...at which point, he'd be loyal to ONE, and disloyal to the other...possibly even guilty of treason.

You can have a Visa card, AND a Mastercard, AND an American Express card...but these things don't require any 'loyalty'. You can drink Coke, AND drink Pepsi, without conflict..because these things require no commitment. But you can't swear loyalty to the laws of ONE country, and agree to 'put it above all others'.....and do the same thing for a second or a third country, too. At some point, someone's getting short-changed.

Dual citizenship, IMHO, can work ONLY if being a 'citizen' really means nothing more than the right to share a nation's 'goodies' and 'freebies'. It's possible that this is now how citizenship is defined..(obviously some people think this way). If THAT'S the case, then by all means, become a citizen of as many places as you wish...the more, the merrier.

If, however, citizenship involves loyalty and 'duty', then you can't "be one thing" and still "be another".

Old 12-25-2008, 08:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Legal immigration traditionally involves changing citizenship from one country to that of another. That is as it should be, and that's how it's usually been done, in the past. No 'betrayal' involved, but a life-changing decision to 'put away the old' and 'begin the new'.

I do NOT, however, agree with the concept of 'dual citizenship', because I believe that citizenship in its very definition implies SOME measure of loyalty to the country of which you're a citizen. You can SAY you're loyal to TWO countries...or to three, or to ten...but at some point, you must choose. What happens if a "dual citizen" has duties to BOTH countries, and there's a conflict? He'd have to choose sides...at which point, he'd be loyal to ONE, and disloyal to the other...possibly even guilty of treason.

You can have a Visa card, AND a Mastercard, AND an American Express card...but these things don't require any 'loyalty'. You can drink Coke, AND drink Pepsi, without conflict..because these things require no commitment. But you can't swear loyalty to the laws of ONE country, and agree to 'put it above all others'.....and do the same thing for a second or a third country, too. At some point, someone's getting short-changed.

Dual citizenship, IMHO, can work ONLY if being a 'citizen' really means nothing more than the right to share a nation's 'goodies' and 'freebies'. It's possible that this is now how citizenship is defined..(obviously some people think this way). If THAT'S the case, then by all means, become a citizen of as many places as you wish...the more, the merrier.

If, however, citizenship involves loyalty and 'duty', then you can't "be one thing" and still "be another".

I disagree with that. My wife is loyal to Canada and to the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies