Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:30 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for contributing to this great thread. When I watched the segment I knew it was one side but I admit I was very concerned. my general view is that there must still be a concept of profit making in healthcare as I agree with Tossel in that it promotes research and advancements. But there also must be a plan (option) so every citizen has the opportunity to acquire affordable health coverage. I hope the compromise happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:32 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I Watched John Tossel's take on the potential pitfalls of Government Healthcare. This is no "Your grandparents will die" media scare tactic. It was an honest take on what Government run Healthcare will look like.

click on the video "Healthcare: Does Canada Do It Better?" :

Watch '20/20' Friday Nights at 10 p.m. - ABC News

http://blogs.abcnews.com/johnstossel/2009/07/47-million-uninsured.html
That guy is the king of the straw man argument.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Thank you all for contributing to this great thread. When I watched the segment I knew it was one side but I admit I was very concerned. my general view is that there must still be a concept of profit making in healthcare as I agree with Tossel in that it promotes research and advancements. But there also must be a plan (option) so every citizen has the opportunity to acquire affordable health coverage. I hope the compromise happens.
Why should there be profit? What's wrong with private non-profit? You can still make a decent salary, and the profits get plowed back into the business. Most research takes place at universitites, which are either private non-profit or government run (University of Colorado, etc).

Old 08-01-2009, 06:43 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why should there be profit? What's wrong with private non-profit? You can still make a decent salary, and the profits get plowed back into the business. Most research takes place at universitites, which are either private non-profit or government run (University of Colorado, etc).
To me Profit creates competition. Competition creates better products.
Why would that not apply to healthcare insurance?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
It MOST DEFINITELY applies to heathcare

Old 08-01-2009, 07:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Did you buy your own health insurance or are you an an employer plan?
I buy my own. No employer plan

Mother / Father both died of cancer / heart disease

Old 08-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Because it doesn't. I can't tell you why, but it doesn't. They just out-do each other to see who can deny the most people. That's the competition, not who can provide better service.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Katiana, thanks very much for this information. I will definitely check into this, and appreciate you providing it. There is a lot of misinformation going around about the proposed plan. Peace to us all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In my state, a full time student can stay on their parents' policy until age 25. Perhaps some of the agencies that work with special needs kids can tell you what the law is in your state, carolac.

I think the idea that special needs people will not be covered is a scare tactic. I saw that other thread, and there was a lot of stuff taken out of context there.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:52 PM

272 posts, read 295,683 times
Eeeeezy,

I'm an early childhood teacher with a BA degree. I taught for the last 35 years. I'm the one you leave your children with when you go off to your job where you have health care provided by your employer. My husband is self employed. I had employee paid insurance loved it, I have individually paid insurance and up until a few years wouldn't have complained about it either. However in the last few years my rates have gone up $1200 avg a year with less coverage and and the one time I use it a year for a blood test requires an arguement for them to pay $425 dollars out of the $9000 premium I pay them each year. I'm worried that I'm not going to afford it and then when I really do get sick they aren't going to pay for it. I'm not lazy and my husband works very hard physically for his money. So the next time you leave your child or someone else leaves their child at pre-school that teacher doesn't have health care because the owner of that school can't afford it. Or of course they could raise the cost of day care and then maybe be able to afford insurance for their employees. Of course you wouldn't like that either. If all us pre-school teachers were to get off our lazy a..... to get that so called better job you talk about who are you going to have teaching what to your child. Don't presume you know so much and your better than the rest of us your just an arrogant SOB.

Last edited by canear; 08-01-2009 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: fix wording

Old 08-01-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Katiana, thanks very much for this information. I will definitely check into this, and appreciate you providing it. There is a lot of misinformation going around about the proposed plan. Peace to us all!!
You're welcome. Have a good weekend (what's left of it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies