Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:42 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Seriously, why can't we go to a "loser-pays" system to put a stop to all of these asinine lawsuits?

Grad Sues College for $70,000 Because She Can't Find a Job

Trina Thompson gave it the old college try, but couldn't find work. Now she thinks her sheepskin wasn't worth her time, and is suing her alma mater for her money back.

The Monroe College grad wants the $70,000 she spent on tuition because she hasn't found gainful employment since earning her bachelor's degree in April, according to a suit filed in Bronx Supreme Court on July 24.

SHEEP-$KINNED - New York Post

I'm with her. Where can I get a lawyer to represent me? But it’s the Federal government who told us to become teachers and prosper! What a lie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
So a person gets a degree from the college that educated them in one particular field does not guarantee that some company will hire them.

She expected the college to do her leg work on finding a job.

She could have a 4.0 GPA and if there are NO jobs... then there are NO jobs period. The college is NOT to blame for any degress in the economy.

I would not hire her for minimum wage with her attitude.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
But she's "entitled" to a job and if the college cannot find one for her then it's the college's fault her and her mother will become homeless.

She represents the next generation that will rule America folks.

"The Fourth Turning" just may be a good read these days. It's about generations and changes and how the generation before them had an effect on them.

The frugal ways of depression era folks are long gone in favor of over-consuming, throw it away before it's broke folks. Savings has given way to "credit" (aka debt); it's not how much you have saved but how many cards and how high your limit is on those cards.

It's a cycle that has been repeated throughout history. It's going to happen and most likely in our lifetime. The excesses have to leave the system for it to stabilize and then start anew.

To think we can avoid it or escape it is foolish.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Colleges frequently oversell their employment statistics. Perhaps this lawsuit will serve as a basis for colleges to reform the way in which they advertise their programs, particularly career services.

As for the comments on the legal system. It's almost impossible under the current rules for civil procedure to maintain a claim that has no merit. In fact, any attorney that brings such a claim faces serious sanctions in most state and all federal courts.

As for a "loser pays" system, many states already have civil procedure rules that allow for the judge to assign reasonable attorneys fees to the losing party in conjunction with certain types of cases, like contracts disputes for example. Personally, I can't believe that anyone, other than big-businesses, would seriously want a system that requires the loser to pay all costs, given that such a rule would almost certainly wreck what little access most normal people have to the courts.

And as for all this talk about lawsuits driving up health care costs you should probably know that lawsuits account for less than 1/2 of 1% of health care costs. That argument is dead in the water.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:14 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
It all depends, some colleges do make the marketing hype that they will find you a job guaranteed.*

In 2 pt small print *Not a guarantee

In that case she actually has a case against them, otherwise it's pretty frivolous.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Seriously, why can't we go to a "loser-pays" system to put a stop to all of these asinine lawsuits?

Grad Sues College for $70,000 Because She Can't Find a Job

Trina Thompson gave it the old college try, but couldn't find work. Now she thinks her sheepskin wasn't worth her time, and is suing her alma mater for her money back.

The Monroe College grad wants the $70,000 she spent on tuition because she hasn't found gainful employment since earning her bachelor's degree in April, according to a suit filed in Bronx Supreme Court on July 24.

SHEEP-$KINNED - New York Post
Sorry, as a current college student i know that i'm at the mercy of the job market when i finish my BS in Management. It is not my school's fault if i cant find a job. A college degree is like any other investment and sometimes you dont get the return you want.

I read up on Monroe college. Just as i expected it's a for-profit institution that advertises it can find you a job. I'm sorry but if you are going to blow $70k on a BS dont do it from a for profit college. My degree will probably be more respectable than Monroe's and i might not even cross $30k to get it.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I wonder what kind of job she expects? Starting at the bottom is going to be necessary no matter what your major was.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
She'd have a better chance with suing her parents for giving her the stupid chromosome for paying that much money to attend a middle of the road ,at best, school.

She could have gone to a CUNY school for much less tuition and better academics.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Monroe College with campus locations in New Rochelle, The Bronx, and St. Lucia in the Caribbean. Given that the first 2 are in areas heavily dominated by minority students (not familiar with St. Lucia) is it possible that the school was trying to take advantage of them?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Monroe College with campus locations in New Rochelle, The Bronx, and St. Lucia in the Caribbean. Given that the first 2 are in areas heavily dominated by minority students (not familiar with St. Lucia) is it possible that the school was trying to take advantage of them?
I suspect everyone is trying take advantage of everybody, which is where personal responsibility and thinking for yourself comes into play. I wonder, does this school enroll those who can't gain admission anywhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies