Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is wearing a fur coat morally the same as attending a dogfight?
Yes 16 24.24%
No 50 75.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times

Advertisements

If people did not attend dog fights it wouldn't be long before the breeders and promoters would be forced out of business saving thousands of dogs every year from terrible pain and suffering. I realize that dogfighting is now a felony in every state, but profit often overcomes risk, particularly in the case of career criminals.

But dogfighting activities can be kept quiet. No one knows if the woman they see in a restaurant attends dogfights. Fur, on the other hand, could be kept a secret, but if it were it would lose its attraction. The only reason people wear fur coats is so that others will see them. If people didn't buy fur coats, the market would collapse. There would be no incentive for trappers to set traps for furbearers, traps that also catch dogs, cats, and other animals. Trapping literature actually suggests that trappers kill any pets they capture and hide the remains. They do realize that they have a public relations problem.

Fur farms are not good places for animals. If they ceased to exist, the sufferings of millions of animals every year would end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
There are lots of different types of "fur" coats. I have a coat made from sheep, its a shearling coat. That means they slaughter the sheep with the wool still on it, so that when they tan it, it retains the wool. I used it in Michigan because of the cold winters. It is a fur coat.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are lots of different types of "fur" coats. I have a coat made from sheep, its a shearling coat. That means they slaughter the sheep with the wool still on it, so that when they tan it, it retains the wool. I used it in Michigan because of the cold winters. It is a fur coat.
Which presumes that the slaughter of the sheep in the first place is more justified than a dog fight.

One could argue that fur farming and dog fighting are both equally virtuous, because their purpose is commercial gain, which is the only yardstick by which "good" is measured, and all commercial gain is equally meritorious.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Which presumes that the slaughter of the sheep in the first place is more justified than a dog fight.
You do not slaughter a sheep to get the wool.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

One could argue that fur farming and dog fighting are both equally virtuous, because their purpose is commercial gain, which is the only yardstick by which "good" is measured, and all commercial gain is equally meritorious.
However, you can eat the sheep when its slaughtered. Are people who wear leather working gloves evil like Michael Vic to? I don't remember people eating Mink, but I could be wrong about that.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You do not slaughter a sheep to get the wool.

YouTube - Sheep Shear

more people should watch u tube^^^^

Old 08-04-2009, 09:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
However, you can eat the sheep when its slaughtered. Are people who wear leather working gloves evil like Michael Vic to? I don't remember people eating Mink, but I could be wrong about that.
If you wish to declare that Michael Vick is evil, you need to offer some evidence to demonstrate that. This is the Great Debates forum. Is everybody "evil" if they engage in an enterprise that is technically illegal? Is every prostitute, every poacher, every tax evader, every recreational drug user a person of "evil" nature, as distinct from the virtuous who never break the law?

You can eat a horse when it is slaughtered, too, except that, in its infinite and infallible wisdom, our legislature has made it illegal to eat horse meat, which would make it "evil". It is evil to eat a horse, but virtuous to make glue from it.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,909 times
wear synthetic furs for gods sake!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ_5fwyH6no

very graphic vid not for the weak!!!!!! if you have a real fur coat and don't know where it came from please watch this vid.. this is one of literally hundreds of vids on the subjet.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
wear synthetic furs for gods sake!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ_5fwyH6no

very graphic vid not for the weak!!!!!! if you have a real fur coat and don't know where it came from please watch this vid.. this is one of literally hundreds of vids on the subjet.
You know what that tells me. ITS CHINA, what do you expect? Buy American Fur. My shearling coat is American made.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post

YouTube - Sheep Shear

more people should watch u tube^^^^
And? Your problem is what? They trimmed the sheep? They do that to dogs to, ITS CALLED GROOMING. Literally thousands of facilities nation wide that people pay to have that done to their dogs.

It doesn't hurt the sheep, it doesn't hurt the dog. Freaking PETA morons, god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies