Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you like to see Obama do about marijuana.
Make it completely legal for use, growth, sale, and trade. 73 70.19%
Make it legal for use, but restrict growth and sales to government run agencies. 10 9.62%
Make it legal for medicine only, remain illegal to any not medically inclined to use it. 8 7.69%
Completely illegal, no use whatsoever! 13 12.50%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,654,999 times

Advertisements

Now come on folks, just "chill out" a minute before you go on the attack. This isn't an Obama attack thread. This is a thread about Obama and his stance and comical statements about marijuana. Now we all know our fresh, young president used marijuana in the past. In fact, he actually had the guts to admit he inhaled unlike his political collegue Bill Clinton. He seems like a man of the times when talking about marijuana, a man who actually realizes it isn't a dangerous substance.

He also made it clear why he wouldn't want to see marijuana completely legalized. And that reason is one we are all very familiar with. Problems with regulation. I believe he is a man caught between a rock and a hard place on this issue, plainly seeing the possible values of marijuana but not wanting to appear "soft" on drugs. Like when he states he did use marijuana, but he isn't "proud" of it. I say "come on Mr. President, you have nothing to be ashamed of"

So come one, come all, and share with us your feelings about marijuana and Obama's stance on the substance. Do you think he should demonize the substance more, or would you like to see Obama take some steps to "decriminalize" the substance as he said in this first clip. Keep in mind, he never said "legalize it!" which is sort of a drag for me But he does seem to have a progressive view on this substance that has been demonized since the 1930's by politicians and lobbyists who simply didn't want to compete with the amazing cannabis plant. All views are of course welcome, whether pro or con, but keep it respectful. Now, let's get down to business and stop blowing "smoke"

YouTube - Barack Obama on Marijuana Decriminalization (2004)

YouTube - Barack Obama and Medical Marijuana (interview Q&A)

YouTube - Barack Obama Yes I inhaled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:28 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,218,879 times
None of the above, I would like to see pot legalized and be allowed to grow up to 6 plants for personal use.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,993,301 times
Besides collecting tax revenue, legalization of pot would be able to stimulate the snack industry.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,443,530 times
We are working towards decriminalization. He already did this as far as states that have Medical Marijuana. (For those who don't know, the federal government will no longer arrest those that sale or use for medical purposes in states where that is legal)

It will come, slowly but surely. What you see now, are the people who want Marijuana to stay illegal, are those attacking Tobacco products. They realize that the argument is good that, "If Tobacco is legal, why is Marijuana illegal?". They are now attacking the users at the base of this argument. It will be easier for those who want to keep Marijuana illegal to do so if Tobacco is also illegal as well.

Personally, I want it complete decriminalized, but I'd be happy with being able to grow for my personal use without fear of prosecution.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,654,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
None of the above, I would like to see pot legalized and be allowed to grow up to 6 plants for personal use.
That was covered under the first choice my friend. Completely legal to use, grow, sell, and trade. So come on back and give us a vote.

PS. To all users, this can't turn into a big fun picture thread. Copyrights have to be observed. So stay on topic, and post links to your fun Obama pics. Do not post them here, because they will be deleted for copyright.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,993,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It will come, slowly but surely.
Oh God, not another "give him a chance, wait and see" response.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,218,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
That was covered under the first choice my friend. Completely legal to use, grow, sell, and trade. So come on back and give us a vote.
Not really, I don't believe I should be allowed to sell or trade that evil weed, just grow it for personal use! And to verify up to 6 plants I meant per person.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,244,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Now come on folks, just "chill out" a minute before you go on the attack. This isn't an Obama attack thread. This is a thread about Obama and his stance and comical statements about marijuana. Now we all know our fresh, young president used marijuana in the past. In fact, he actually had the guts to admit he inhaled unlike his political collegue Bill Clinton. He seems like a man of the times when talking about marijuana, a man who actually realizes it isn't a dangerous substance.

He also made it clear why he wouldn't want to see marijuana completely legalized. And that reason is one we are all very familiar with. Problems with regulation. I believe he is a man caught between a rock and a hard place on this issue, plainly seeing the possible values of marijuana but not wanting to appear "soft" on drugs. Like when he states he did use marijuana, but he isn't "proud" of it. I say "come on Mr. President, you have nothing to be ashamed of"

So come one, come all, and share with us your feelings about marijuana and Obama's stance on the substance. Do you think he should demonize the substance more, or would you like to see Obama take some steps to "decriminalize" the substance as he said in this first clip. Keep in mind, he never said "legalize it!" which is sort of a drag for me But he does seem to have a progressive view on this substance that has been demonized since the 1930's by politicians and lobbyists who simply didn't want to compete with the amazing cannabis plant. All views are of course welcome, whether pro or con, but keep it respectful. Now, let's get down to business and stop blowing "smoke"

YouTube - Barack Obama on Marijuana Decriminalization (2004)

YouTube - Barack Obama and Medical Marijuana (interview Q&A)

YouTube - Barack Obama Yes I inhaled
I have never smoked it or do i plan ever to. That said if you tax it and make it legal you at least cut down on some of the criminal activity and have a source of funds

Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM

52,947 posts, read 34,785,895 times
i'm with memphis; decriminalization should be the first step.

http://ladyjohn.files.wordpress.com/...a_youth_04.jpg

Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Oh God, not another "give him a chance, wait and see" response.
An effort has to be made by the states first. That's how the US got rid of Prohibition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies