Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:56 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
20% Coinsurance after deductible will bankrupt many Americans should they get a catastrophic illness such as cancer.
Medicare is an 80/20 plan after a deductible.
Do you know that the proposed one won't be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:41 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The issue is not that you exist or not, rather that your numbers are likely nowhere near a factor to even suggest generalized policies on the populace.
I don't have a prostate - never have - never will - why should "I" pay for some under/un insured person who does - I mean using your logic - only numbers make a person a factor in generalized policies. And PWP (people with prostates) are "only" half the population - I think we call them "men"

BTW - what is your percentage of the population that is affected should we care about? Because I can assure you that if you (or your child) are one of the "x" percent with the "Z" disorder it will become of utmost importance that it be covered

Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I believe I read on here that some people believe they will be FORCED to get a goverment plan if health care reform gets approved.
NOT TRUE! you will be able to keep the insurance you have if that is what YOU like.
Not completely true. If you are an employee, you will have to follow what your employer does. If your job decides to pay the penalty instead of purchasing health insurance you'll have to go with the public option. You will be expected to pay 12% of your income to purchase health insurance.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:55 AM

To all that bring up things like "if it was your child"
Don't you think there might be another solution that addresses the situation those people are in?
Not that I am saying this is the answer but why cannot the Medicare or Medicaid program be expanded to include anyone that can prove they cannot be insured by a private company?

Why can't insurances companies be mandated to add to their offerings a very basic catastrophic capped prmium policy?
Why do our State insurance boards keep approving rate increases for companies posting record (or any extreme) profits?
Many things are wrong that don't require a complete reworking of the system.
Many of the things wrong have been caused by or done in collusion with our government.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Not completely true. If you are an employee, you will have to follow what your employer does. If your job decides to pay the penalty instead of purchasing health insurance you'll have to go with the public option. You will be expected to pay 12% of your income to purchase health insurance.
I also believe that is the minimum ......better coverage will cost extra.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
a mere 1% of respondents think there's nothing wrong with our current health care system. That makes it a practically universal opinion that the system is broken. Follow the links. . .
A disingenuous statement at best. I'm a physician and I would never state "there's nothing wrong with our current health care system" But it's one thing to state desired change and another thing entirely to say our system needs to completely overhauled to socialized medicine Yes, people wanted change but they didn't want socialized healthcare either. The polls also show the majority of Americans (83%) are satisfied with our current system. This poll is probably in light of the changes Obama wants so Americans wanted to make it clear the majority are content overall but would like to see changes but not an overhaul.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

A disingenuous statement at best. I'm a physician and I would never state "there's nothing wrong with our current health care system" But it's one thing to state desired change and another thing entirely to say our system needs to completely overhauled to socialized medicine Yes, people wanted change but they didn't want socialized healthcare either. The polls also show the majority of Americans (83%) are satisfied with our current system. This poll is probably in light of the changes Obama wants so Americans wanted to make it clear the majority are content overall but would like to see changes but not an overhaul.
Please do not accuse me of being disingenuous if you haven't actually followed along. I realize this thread is long, but that doesn't excuse you for making allegations that are patently false. Since you apparently missed it, I'll refer you back to post #25 in this thread, wherein I posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61

The debate isn't about whether or not it needs fixing, it's about how it gets fixed.
Quote:
The net result of these observations about the way U.S. healthcare works is that Americans generally believe the system is highly troubled: 14% say it is "in a state of crisis" and 59% think it has "major problems." Only 26% believe it has minor problems and a slight 1% say it does not have any problems.

Gallup - Perceptions That the System Is Broken
As I said, it is nearly universally agreed that our current health care system is broken.
So, I backed up my claim with a cite. So far, nothing you have said makes my statement wrong or disingenuous. Now where's the cite for your contentions?

Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Bottom line, the insurers will apparently still make out like bandits since our elected officials do not work for us but for them:

The Health Insurers Have Already Won - BusinessWeek

Robert Greenwald: Fight Back Against Health Insurance Lies

Last edited by TigerLily24; 08-07-2009 at 01:52 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If the Feds would remove the barriers they put up that keep the insurance companies from selling across state lines, your premium would very likely drop quite a bit.
If we would support Health Care Reforms, we wouldn't have to be concerned with which state we lived in, as all of us could have equal coverage.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:42 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If the Feds would remove the barriers they put up that keep the insurance companies from selling across state lines, your premium would very likely drop quite a bit.
You are exactly correct. Also, it would reduce the regulatory nightmare that adds to the costs (overhead) of the insurance companies - having to deal with 50 States individually is one of the reasons their overhead is so high compared to Medicare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies