Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why don't your parents just buy a private insurance plan then?

They could buy a really good one like Greatday brags about having.
I guess like most American's they couldn't afford private hc. Why is ok for them and the rest of those without coverage can go pound sand?

What I am curious about is how many of you that are against health care reform self define as Christian? I am non-believer myself but aren't you always talking about helping the less fortunate? Or do you only want to help if it doesn't cost you money? Some of the anti-health care reform banter I am hearing/reading is not very Christian and at times, downright mean.

15:11For the poor will never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt surely open thy hand unto thy brother, to thy needy, and to thy poor, in thy land.

How about we take away the tax exemption status of churches and give those tax dollars to the health care reform fund? I imagine we would get tons of money just from the LDS and Catholic churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
I dont want the governemnt RUNNING health care

I do want the government to REGULATE health care so people are not ripped-off

I do want the government to REGULATE (ie rules and regulations) to fix some of the problems with our health COSTS (ie unneccessary lawsuites, high costs etc)

our government ALREADY spends 540 billion just on medicare/medicaide....and thats for only 20% of the country and its not FULL CARE.........take that number by 4 times and that is what this will ending up costing the taxpayer YEARLY....2 trillion (and maybe more)

Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
TM....yes, Medicare approved supplements can be purchased that can only contain options approved by Medicare.
They do raise the out of pocket costs into the range you find unacceptable for insurance coverage though.

jojajn
You are correct.
I should have said Medicare qualified persons over age 65.
My disabled daughter is extremely grateful that her 'old' insurance company is primary to Medicare
"anyone" qualified for Medicare should also include those 65 and older.

yes, Im' aware the supplements to add services above what medicare offers would make it expensive. That is a given.

But ATLEAST those over the age of 65 ON FIXED incomes have HEALTHCARE coverage.. even if at acceptable minimum standards. That's the point. The wealthier of the population will ALWAYS be able to afford above and beyond. ..things like private rooms, etc.

It's not about, nor never has been about EVERYONE being able to have the absolute CADILLAC of care..but it IS about everyone being able to have a MINIMUM standard of care.

BIG difference.

Without medicare, as expensive as it is on the elderly as it stands, MOST would NEVER be able to afford a "private" plan outside of medicare that now working families can't even afford.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I dont want the governemnt RUNNING health care

I do want the government to REGULATE health care so people are not ripped-off

I do want the government to REGULATE (ie rules and regulations) to fix some of the problems with our health COSTS (ie unneccessary lawsuites, high costs etc)

our government ALREADY spends 540 billion just on medicare/medicaide....and thats for only 20% of the country and its not FULL CARE.........take that number by 4 times and that is what this will ending up costing the taxpayer YEARLY....2 trillion (and maybe more)
Did you read it? Did you look at what is being proposed in this bill .. it's NOT government run health care.. IT IS legislation setting up REGULATION for MINIMUM standard of insurance to be deemed as "acceptable" coverage.

It is an OPTION to PURCHASE a GOVERNMENT or PUBLIC option of health care which will be more affordable to some than what the private sector offers. Especially when you consider that medicaid/medicare operates at a 5% overhead vs. a 30% overhead of public run insurance companies.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
TM....yes, Medicare approved supplements can be purchased that can only contain options approved by Medicare.
They do raise the out of pocket costs into the range you find unacceptable for insurance coverage though.

jojajn
You are correct.
I should have said Medicare qualified persons over age 65.
My disabled daughter is extremely grateful that her 'old' insurance company is primary to Medicare

Faced with proving his statement it looks like greatday must have gone out to check his clam pots again
Please reference your claims!!! When we divorced, my husband was over 65. He still had to prove to Medicare that his previous primary insurance no longer covered him.

Again, I ask you to reference you claim. I believe your claim that people over 65 must have Medicare as their primary insurance is totally false.

REFERENCE YOUR CLAIM!!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
What I am curious about is how many of you that are against health care reform self define as Christian?
I don't know of many people who oppose health care reform. What many oppose is the WAY some are proposing to reform health care. There is a difference

As for the "public option" I mentioned - I may have been mistaken - like others, I cannot find a reference to it being pulled from the bill. I do find a ton of references to opposition to it being in the legislation - with the Blue Dog Democrats leading the charge.

I apologize for evidently being mistaken

Old 08-07-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
They could buy a really good one like Greatday brags about having.
One thing to keep in mind jojajn - is that the premiums for health insurance vary, at this time, from state to state. A plan in AZ that might cost 400 a month might be 1000 a month in New York (I don't know if these are actual numbers - I'm just illustrating).

So, the policy that I have might be totally out of reach say to you because of where you live.

And please, keep in mind that although I'm old enough for Medicare - I can't get it. I have to purchase my own private insurance plan.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I don't know of many people who oppose health care reform. What many oppose is the WAY some are proposing to reform health care. There is a difference

As for the "public option" I mentioned - I may have been mistaken - like others, I cannot find a reference to it being pulled from the bill. I do find a ton of references to opposition to it being in the legislation - with the Blue Dog Democrats leading the charge.

I apologize for evidently being mistaken

BTW.. those "Blue Dog Democrats". .. have you SEEN the payouts they have received in the form of Campaign contributions from Health insurance companies??

Olbermann: Legislators for sale - Countdown with Keith Olbermann- msnbc.com

Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
BTW.. those "Blue Dog Democrats". .. have you SEEN the payouts they have received in the form of Campaign contributions from Health insurance companies??
Yes.

Have you seen the "payouts" to Barney Frank from the Banking industry - and Frank is one of the Congressman responsible for the mortgage crisis.

So, your point is????

Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Please reference your claims!!! When we divorced, my husband was over 65. He still had to prove to Medicare that his previous primary insurance no longer covered him.

Again, I ask you to reference you claim. I believe your claim that people over 65 must have Medicare as their primary insurance is totally false.

REFERENCE YOUR CLAIM!!

Over 65 and not covered under an employer policy.
I do now remember going through this with you before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies