Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,036,762 times

Advertisements

My question would be, why does it bother you? It's not intended to insult you, so what's the problem? Speaking as a personal opinion, I think you're causing your own grief. I knew a Korean girl who got irritated when others spoke Korean to her - made no sense.

Hispanic speakers actually appreciate when you speak their language. Mind you, a quick glance at my profile will clear up and misconceptions about the fact that I am not of Hispanic decent. However, I can understand Spanish quite well and speak it enough to get by, so yes, when I go to the taco shop I'll greet the guy with a few Spanish lines, and they appreciate it. I know Hispanic women who know I do that and will greet me in Spanish.

At the end of the day, as a personal opinion, I believe that your reaction to someone talking in your own language is unnecessary. If you prefer to talk English then do what you've been doing and reply in English, but taking it personal is pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,588,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
People can tell I speak English, I know they can. They just like to speak vietnamese to me on purpose... It just irritates me.
If you think THAT'S irritating, wait until you encounter the incredulous soul who assumes you CAN'T speak English...it does happen, sometimes to people whose GRANDPARENTS were born in California. That, TOO, can be a "bummer".

Old 08-08-2009, 10:01 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,969,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
My question would be, why does it bother you? It's not intended to insult you, so what's the problem? Speaking as a personal opinion, I think you're causing your own grief. I knew a Korean girl who got irritated when others spoke Korean to her - made no sense.

Hispanic speakers actually appreciate when you speak their language. Mind you, a quick glance at my profile will clear up and misconceptions about the fact that I am not of Hispanic decent. However, I can understand Spanish quite well and speak it enough to get by, so yes, when I go to the taco shop I'll greet the guy with a few Spanish lines, and they appreciate it. I know Hispanic women who know I do that and will greet me in Spanish.

At the end of the day, as a personal opinion, I believe that your reaction to someone talking in your own language is unnecessary. If you prefer to talk English then do what you've been doing and reply in English, but taking it personal is pointless.
Honestly? It's because I'm hard to get along with and easy irritable. Every little thing irritates me these days. It's just an additional thing that gets on my nerves.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
If you think THAT'S irritating, wait until you encounter the incredulous soul who assumes you CAN'T speak English...it does happen, sometimes to people whose GRANDPARENTS were born in California. That, TOO, can be a "bummer".
i don't think this could happen to me because I look "too young" and I look very hip and trendy.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,652,573 times
its not an attack. they are trying to be helpful.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,125,610 times
Oh I can not STAND this. I look seriously Anglo and people ALWAYS speak to me in English. I mean seriously, WTF???

Old 08-16-2009, 02:54 PM

4,919 posts, read 3,383,568 times
They do the same with me. Unfortunately I can't speak nor understand Vietnamese so I have to English back rofl

Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 PM

9,913 posts, read 10,861,387 times
Quote:
I'm Vietnamese and I went into a Bank of America branch to take care of some business. The viet teller could tell that I was viet also so he started talking to me in Vietnamese.... I was like WTF (to myself) and I proceeded to respond to him in English.

Why do people assume that I want to speak Vietnamese to them just because I'm Vietnamese? I look young btw, like I'm in my 20's and this guy was young too.

This was in a public place of BUSINESS. I can understand if I was a really elderly person who looked like they couldn't speak english or if I didn't speak english, but why would someone assume that just because we're the same nationality we should start speaking our own language in a place of business?

I just think it's bizarre and annoying. Every time someone does this to me I always just ignore them and respond back in English. I can understand if it was in a Viet restaurant or something but this was inside Bank of America and this guy speaks English.

It really irritates me when people do this. I just wanted to vent.
Because our assinine obsession with political correctness, dictates it.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Because our assinine obsession with political correctness, dictates it.
It's not political correct to start speaking in your native language in a public place of business. I would think it's more pc to speak ENGLISH.

I think it's politically INcorrect for another Viet person to start speaking Vietnamese to me. They could be assuming that I don't speak English or that I'm not Americanized which is offensive to me.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:12 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,036,762 times
Quote:
Honestly? It's because I'm hard to get along with and easy irritable. Every little thing irritates me these days. It's just an additional thing that gets on my nerves.
Okay...then again, personal opinion...that you're fickle and easy to irritate, is not their fault. I would honestly recommend some soul searching to find out why you act that way and attempt to remedy it. "Meet yourself" as I like to call it. Because once you do, I promise you will sit back and laugh at the way you behaved towards something so trivial.

I could see if it were some redneck attempting to speak Viet to you. That might be considered offensive depending on the reason they're doing it. But if it's their first and/or second language and they think you might appreciate said language, of course not knowing whether it's your first or second language either, why let it get to you? Like the song says, Breath, Stretch, Shake, and let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies