Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM

9,901 posts, read 10,850,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
It's not political correct to start speaking in your native language in a public place of business. I would think it's more pc to speak ENGLISH.

I think it's politically INcorrect for another Viet person to start speaking Vietnamese to me. They could be assuming that I don't speak English or that I'm not Americanized which is offensive to me.
evidently you dont understand what political correctness is, who do you think is for or against english only, or putting up signs in 12 different languages in public places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:17 PM

20,186 posts, read 23,907,534 times
I think its you Jackie, most people don't have a problem and it really isn't a problem... however for you its a "pet peeve"... saying its "other people's fault" is sort of disingenuous... One could say, why did they talk to me in english when they know that I am vietnamese, do they think I some other race or don't speak the language? You react to it with your own personal pet peeves... most people don't have that as a pet peeve...

Old 08-16-2009, 07:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,544,556 times
Quote:
I'm Vietnamese and I went into a Bank of America branch to take care of some business. The viet teller could tell that I was viet also so he started talking to me in Vietnamese.... I was like WTF (to myself) and I proceeded to respond to him in English.

Why do people assume that I want to speak Vietnamese to them just because I'm Vietnamese? I look young btw, like I'm in my 20's and this guy was young too.

This was in a public place of BUSINESS. I can understand if I was a really elderly person who looked like they couldn't speak english or if I didn't speak english, but why would someone assume that just because we're the same nationality we should start speaking our own language in a place of business?

I just think it's bizarre and annoying. Every time someone does this to me I always just ignore them and respond back in English. I can understand if it was in a Viet restaurant or something but this was inside Bank of America and this guy speaks English.

It really irritates me when people do this. I just wanted to vent.
Well, I'm Swedish and the extremely rare cases I get to speak Swedish to someone over here I gladly do it.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I look extremely americanized and sophisticated. I am sure the bank teller KNEW I could speak English, he just thought that since we were of the same nationality we must have some special bond and speak in our language or something.

When I don't know someone, I don't know them. I am not going to like them more or feel "closer" to them just because we have the same nationality. I HATE it when people act like they "know" me because we're of the same background. It's condescending and patronizing.

The real problem here is the fact that she thought you were Vietnamese first. You were offended!! I have never heard of anybody being offended for something like that. WOW!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:33 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,309,916 times
It sounds like you're trying to get away from your roots and be more assimilated, as it were.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,686,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
It sounds like you're trying to get away from your roots and be more assimilated, as it were.
LOL, I can't wait for some jerky here to call you a Twinkie...

Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,588,293 times
they are looking for a connection with me.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:21 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,838,611 times
Quote:
I'm Vietnamese and I went into a Bank of America branch to take care of some business. The viet teller could tell that I was viet also so he started talking to me in Vietnamese.... I was like WTF (to myself) and I proceeded to respond to him in English.

Why do people assume that I want to speak Vietnamese to them just because I'm Vietnamese? I look young btw, like I'm in my 20's and this guy was young too.

This was in a public place of BUSINESS. I can understand if I was a really elderly person who looked like they couldn't speak english or if I didn't speak english, but why would someone assume that just because we're the same nationality we should start speaking our own language in a place of business?

I just think it's bizarre and annoying. Every time someone does this to me I always just ignore them and respond back in English. I can understand if it was in a Viet restaurant or something but this was inside Bank of America and this guy speaks English.

It would be more bizarre if you spoke no Vietnamese. Doing business in a bank should be English if it is in a mainly English area. So should all funcions of the government, from Town Halls to Courts, police, etc. etc. Political correctness has gone too far. If someone wants to choose to speak another language, that is their business. No one should assume you can or want to.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
It would be more bizarre if you spoke no Vietnamese. Doing business in a bank should be English if it is in a mainly English area. So should all funcions of the government, from Town Halls to Courts, police, etc. etc. Political correctness has gone too far. If someone wants to choose to speak another language, that is their business. No one should assume you can or want to.

I think you should speak in the language your are comfortable with. Especially when you are dealing with things that you don't want to mess up. Maybe the lady at the bank felt more comfortable doing her banking in Vietnamese and were happy she found somebody, she thought,that spoke that language.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,060,835 times
Quote:

I can understand to some degree your annoyance at being stereotyped as an immigrant who does not speak English. I'm not sure exactly where in Orange County the BOA was located but I know there are some sections of OC that have large Vietnamese immigrant populations. Maybe the teller was accustomed to serving Vietnamese patrons who had limited English skills and was just trying to be helpful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies