Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,580,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
All true. The naysayers are actually smart enough to understand that, but are more intent on denying others the same thing and/or are more intent on making the President and his party fail. Most of the GOP health care debate is about divisive politics and winning back the White House, nothing more, and those people do NOT care one single bit how many of us die from lack of insurance.
Mike, once again you impress me.

You are great! Once again, you hit the nail on the head where it hurts most.

OUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,846,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup, there are plenty of very stupid Americans to be sure - and the folks spreading the BS know it - in fact they are COUNTING on it.

Ken
Tell you what Ken. You fight your fight, we'll fight ours. Calling people names especially when you are referring to more than 50 percent of the population makes you a donkey.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,506,087 times
the problem here is we will be "throwing out the baby, with the bathwater", or "jumping from the frying pan into the fire"

which would you rather have insurance companies that can be REGULATED by the government and the people protected.... or GOVERNMENT making and DECIDING what your doctor can and cant do????

which is worse people..... many companies which COMPETE against each other, make profits for EVERYONE, and you have a CHOICE......or an UNCONTROLLABLE GOVERNMENT which operates in DEBT daily.

yes health care is costly....it is a service which you pay for......on the otherhand, look how many DIE at VA clinics..........make you think do I want a too costly GOOD care, or a HIGHTAXED crappycare????

this isnt a republican -vs- democrat thing....this is a few vs many thing......200 million have health insurace and are atleast ok with it...only 50 million dont and a portion of them CAN AFFORD it but CHOOSE not to.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,348,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Tell you what Ken. You fight your fight, we'll fight ours. Calling people names especially when you are referring to more than 50 percent of the population makes you a donkey.
Then maybe you should consider fighting your fight with FACTS instead of stupid scare tactics spreading outright lies and deceptions - and trust the American people with the TRUTH.

Ken

Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,846,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Insurance is a contract, just like buying a house, a car, or executing a multi-million dollar contract between two entities. One has to KNOW what is signed, and what the exclusions and conditions of the contract means. Ignorance of the content of a contract cannot be used as a defense.

Just because a claim was denied initially by an insurance company doesn't mean it was not refiled and paid. Many claims filed by doctors are filed incorrectly, are coded improperly, and have to be refiled. Happens every day.
This is the only thing that I have heard doctors complain about. They simply want the process more streamlined and uniform. This would save large amounts of money.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM

26,228 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Fraud, waste and abuse? Are you kidding me? IMO, corporate world is WAY WORSE than the government. How many deadly cars has GM been allowed to sell to the public? How many GENERATIONS has the tobacco industry killed MILLIONS of people with their deadly products, lies and cover ups? How many cases of whole towns being ruined and rivers polluted by corporate dumping of toxic wastes? How many Superfund sites are WE now cleaning up behind the corporate criminals? How many "masters of the universe" on Wall Street got multi-million dollar bonuses to ruin the financial markets, and KEEP getting billions in bonuses? How many kids have died of e-coli in tainted hamburger? How many times are people ripped off by bait and switch schemes, con artists on craigslist, bogus boiler room phone banks scamming the elderly, home repair scams, the list goes on and on, but someone wants to whine because his mail ended up in the wrong box. Oh poor boy, here's a tissue, maybe mommy will give you a donut....

The DEATH panel already sits in an office building and works for YOUR insurance company.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,842,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup.
It happens EVERY SINGLE DAY.
The whole "bureaucrats are going to make the decision whether you live or die" argument is meant to sway the stupid and ignorant who are too dumb to know that that situation IS ALREADY THE CASE.
And you want to know something?
The tactic works.
Sadly there are PLENTY of stupid and ignorant people out there.

Ken
This scare tactic works too. So many people have already experienced such poor treatment from their insurance companies that, when they are falsely told this bill will make the situation even worse, it scares the living daylights right out of them!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,842,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the problem here is we will be "throwing out the baby, with the bathwater", or "jumping from the frying pan into the fire"

which would you rather have insurance companies that can be REGULATED by the government and the people protected.... or GOVERNMENT making and DECIDING what your doctor can and cant do????

which is worse people..... many companies which COMPETE against each other, make profits for EVERYONE, and you have a CHOICE......or an UNCONTROLLABLE GOVERNMENT which operates in DEBT daily.

yes health care is costly....it is a service which you pay for......on the otherhand, look how many DIE at VA clinics..........make you think do I want a too costly GOOD care, or a HIGHTAXED crappycare????

this isnt a republican -vs- democrat thing....this is a few vs many thing......200 million have health insurace and are atleast ok with it...only 50 million dont and a portion of them CAN AFFORD it but CHOOSE not to.
We have tried the insurance company competing thing for years. They screwed us. I am ready to make them compete with a public plan.

BTW, why do you think it is that insurance companies don't mind "competing" with Medicare?

Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,240,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Beyond the 50 million without any insurance, there are those of us who have a really good insurance plan, like me. I'm in a good spot right now. But I'm not stupid enough not to be able to see that if my husband loses his job (he's been layed off twice in 5 years as it is) or if he wants to progress in his career by taking a new job, both of us take the chance of losing everything, since we both have back issues that would be deemed pre-existing conditions.

Does this seem acceptable to anyone? ALL of us WILL , at some time or another, develop some sort of health condition - either us or one of our children. And when that happens, all you can do is pray that your current job lasts forever. What are the odds of that? Let's face it, the odds of that are NOT GOOD. And forget about trying to better yourself by taking a new position. The risk of financial ruin due to uncovered medical issues are all too real.

This level of vulnerability is truly wrong. It is ruining countless families and prohibiting people from being able to get ahead. Too many people are choosing to put their head in the sand and are pretending that they will never be caught in a predicament where one medical issue could bankrupt them. I wish people would wake up.

Totally agree songgirl. I am in a similar boat as you. I am self employed and carry great insurance for my wife and I (at the low, low price of $1,002.00 per month). The problem is that we want/need to make a cross country move in the near future where I will be going to work for someone else. This new employer has very good insurance, however my wife has a serious undiagnosed back problem that really needs attention now. If she goes to see a doctor now, and is diagnosed with something that will require any kind of treatment, we can kiss the new insurance goodbye as you know how they feel about those pesky pre-existing conditions. We can't make the move yet as we have a few properties to sell here before, so until that happends (which could be who knows how long) she is just trying to deal with the pain as best she can. This is just insane to me. This is the system we have now. You can't tell me we are not at the mercy of the insurance companies. Again, this is the system we have now. Oh yeah, this past year our premiums skyrocketed because my wife and I both turned the ripe old age of 45. No history of illness or disease, but because we are so friggen old now, we are being tapped to the point it is almost impossible to pay for.

Last edited by dookieboy; 08-11-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,348,170 times
All I'm asking is for HONESTY in fighting the health care proposals. If the health care proposals are really that bad, it shouldn't be hard to do. The fact the opponents constantly resort to LYING about the proposals is simply proof that they have few LEGITIMATE complaints - either that or they are too lazy to bother doing the research to determine the actual issues.

And as I said, they are COUNTING on the public in general to be too stupid and/or lazy to fact check what they are being told.

I don't think it's too much to ask for HONESTY in the criticisms.

Ken

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-11-2009 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Removed off-topic posting that was deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies