Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
AARP has launched a huge multimillion-dollar ad campaign to push for reform now — not later — and to dispel any myths out there about what exactly reform will do.
SOURCE

Quote:
AARP Makes Big Push For Healthcare Reform

Don't put the brakes on health care reform. AARP, the nation's most powerful seniors' association, launched a multimillion-dollar campaign this morning to debunk so-called myths surrounding the health care debate. Founded in 1958, AARP has 40 million members in offices in all 50 states.
Leaving no media format untapped, AARP's 'myths versus fact' advertising will run on national and local television and radio, in print publications and online. In an attack against largely conservative ideas, AARP is attempting to dismantle the notions that health care reform is not affordable to fix right now, equals the end of Medicare, and will lead to a government takeover as well as rationed care.
SOURCE

Hmm...This is getting interesting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Backlash is building against the bitterness and lying of the right-wing?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Why doesn't AARP just come out and support the concept?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Just a little, tiny bit, maybe

Bad when you think seniors are one of the bastions of the conservative party, I know the old folks in my family were.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 PM

My grandmother never liked being lied to....she didn't care who you were. I suspect that sentiment runs throughout the senior community, sure wouldn't want to be the rw'er on the other end of it....

Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
AARP and the health plan August 11, 2009

Put the line above in as a search and you may find much different information.

Just copy it and paste it in your search window.

I had a reason for looking this up. I have heard from three different sources that the AARP got very upset and walked out of a meeting and I wanted to see what was out there on the internet. Several newspapers reported that the AARP was not supporting the health plan at 3:32 this afternoon. If you google the line above you will probably find the same information. There seems to be a lot of confusion. I guess time will tell. I hope they have not been bullied into supporting it when it is really not good for seniors.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Just a little, tiny bit, maybe Bad when you think seniors are one of the bastions of the conservative party, I know the old folks in my family were.
Just tell the grannies that if we don't pass reform, that THEY will have to pay the direct costs for their kids, and especially for their grandkids; THAT will get the old folks' attention, big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Why doesn't AARP just come out and support the concept?
I think they just did.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
AARP and the health plan August 11, 2009

Put the line above in as a search and you may find much different information.

Just copy it and paste it in your search window.

I had a reason for looking this up. I have heard from three different sources that the AARP got very upset and walked out of a meeting and I wanted to see what was out there on the internet. Several newspapers reported that the AARP was not supporting the health plan at 3:32 this afternoon. If you google the line above you will probably find the same information. There seems to be a lot of confusion. I guess time will tell. I hope they have not been bullied into supporting it when it is really not good for seniors.
In an attack against largely conservative ideas, AARP is attempting to dismantle the notions that health care reform is not affordable to fix right now, equals the end of Medicare, and will lead to a government takeover as well as rationed care. SOURCE

Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Just tell the grannies that if we don't pass reform, that THEY will have to pay the direct costs for their kids, and especially for their grandkids; THAT will get the old folks' attention, big time.

I think they just did.
Actually they didn't. I think they are being cowardly. Come out in favor of Obama's idea (because there is no plan) and see how their members react.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
AARP not as easily swayed like the AMA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies