Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:13 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Apparently, she doesn't understand secular government. Not all of her would-be constituents are Christian. People who want to use government positions to force their religion on the American people are shameful and un-American.

I think the zoo should put Anna Falling on exhibit.

She was voted in by the majority.

Not all of Barney Frank's constituents are loons, yet there he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Hmmm, I think most American cities have enough issues to deal with that a mayor could stay really busy every day without dreaming up of personal religion motives to push through.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
She was voted in by the majority.

Not all of Barney Frank's constituents are loons, yet there he is.
Barney Frank is a decent, intelligent man with years of service to his country. You're silly words of denuciation are about as intelligent as those of the Townhall Taliban - and probably just as ineffective.

On another note - everyone knows the dinosaurs were killed off by DEATH PANELS!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:54 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Is there anything that doesn't insult the Christians anymore?

"TULSA, OK -- A mayoral candidate has resurrected a controversy over Creationism at the Tulsa Zoo.

A push to exhibit the Christian story of creation at the Tulsa Zoo failed four years ago. Republican candidate for Tulsa mayor, Anna Falling, is bringing the issue front and center."

Mayoral Candidate Mary Falling Wants Creationism Exhibit - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
I read stuff like this and am thankful I'm Catholic. We have no problem with evolution so long as it does not touch on the nature of man.

In his 1996 address to the Pontifial Academy of Sciences Pope John Paul II discussed evolution:

Quote:
I am pleased with the first theme you have chosen, that of the origins of life and evolution, an essential subject which deeply interests the Church, since revelation, for its part, contains teaching concerning the nature and origins of man. How do the conclusions reached by the various scientific disciplines coincide with those contained in the message of revelation? And if, at first sight, there are apparent contradictions, in what direction do we look for their solution? We know, in fact, that truth cannot contradict truth (cf. Leo XIII, encyclical Providentissimus Deus).

...snip...

In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII had already stated that there was no opposition between evolution and the doctrine of the faith about man and his vocation, on condition that one did not lose sight of several indisputable points.

...snip...

Today, almost half a century after the publication of the encyclical, new knowledge has led to the recognition of the theory of evolution as more than a hypothesis. It is indeed remarkable that this theory has been progressively accepted by researchers, following a series of discoveries in various fields of knowledge. The convergence, neither sought nor fabricated, of the results of work that was conducted independently is in itself a significant argument in favor of this theory.

...snip...

Pius XII stressed this essential point: If the human body take its origin from pre-existent living matter, the spiritual soul is immediately created by God. Consequently, theories of evolution which, in accordance with the philosophies inspiring them, consider the spirit as emerging from the forces of living matter or as a mere epiphenomenon of this matter, are incompatible with the truth about man.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Barney Frank is a decent, intelligent man with years of service to his country. You're silly words of denuciation are about as intelligent as those of the Townhall Taliban - and probably just as ineffective.

On another note - everyone knows the dinosaurs were killed off by DEATH PANELS!

How tall are you? Because the point went way the hell over your head.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,887 times
Oh man, don't remind me.

I always had problems with my model 150000000 B.C. Apatosaurus. I bought it thinking it would be a nice safe transport for my family, but there were a ton of issues and the creator never issued a single recall.

It was severely underpowered for the weight, the air intake was way too small and it would overheat all the time. And you wouldn't believe the amount of fuel this thing had to suck down to keep moving. I spent most of my day refueling the beast instead of riding it. Then one day I was running late to work and forgot to take a pit stop and it just killed over right on Pathway 1. We blocked up the trail for miles all the way down to the grasslands. To add to the misery the Triceratops Tow took the wrong pathway and had to backtrack. I didn't get to work until lunch.

I hear the newer models evolved and were much more efficient, but I had enough; I went out and got the new Stegosaurus.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Were the Flintstones Christians?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Were the Flintstones Christians?
Sure. They went to the same church as Moses.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
How tall are you? Because the point went way the hell over your head.
I've never seen you make a point that I didn't have to stoop down to understand.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I've never seen you make a point that I didn't have to stoop down to understand.

So you're short and blind. Good combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies