Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAppleNM View Post
The unforeseen is my business and no one else's - that's kind of the point of this thread. I don't live my life under the notion of "what if", because odds are I won't be in a serious car wreck or become the victim of an errant flower pot. To force opponents of Universal Health Care into a program they do not want, need, or support - and to potentially fine and punish them for not wanting to participate - sounds like big trouble to me.
Absolutely! I agree 100 percent with this philosophy. So many "so called" illnesses are complete and utter bunk! If people were not handed medical care on a silver platter, they would be amazingly well! People with insurance go to doctors for HANGNAILS! Why? Because the insurance pays for it. Where I used to work. EVERYBODY went to the doctor for an antibiotic when they had a cold. Yet, everybody knows that antiboitics are useless on viral infections. Did that stop them? No, because THE INSURANCE was paying for it.

Insurance programs result in horrific abuse of the medical system. It's laughable. If this UHC is instituted billions of productive man-hours will be lost because of people going to the doctor because they have a pimple on their posterior, what a joke.

Prevention, being careful, not taking foolish chances, staying away from potentially dangerous situations and eating well is the best INSURANCE against having to go to a doctor. And if something untoward does happen, then KNOWING HOW TO TAKE CARE OF IT, without outside medical intervention is the best treatment in the world.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Absolutely! I agree 100 percent with this philosophy. So many "so called" illnesses are complete and utter bunk! If people were not handed medical care on a silver platter, they would be amazingly well! People with insurance go to doctors for HANGNAILS! Why? Because the insurance pays for it. Where I used to work. EVERYBODY went to the doctor for an antibiotic when they had a cold. Yet, everybody knows that antiboitics are useless on viral infections. Did that stop them? No, because THE INSURANCE was paying for it.

Insurance programs result in horrific abuse of the medical system. It's laughable. If this UHC is instituted billions of productive man-hours will be lost because of people going to the doctor because they have a pimple on their posterior, what a joke.

Prevention, being careful, not taking foolish chances, staying away from potentially dangerous situations and eating well is the best INSURANCE against having to go to a doctor. And if something untoward does happen, then KNOWING HOW TO TAKE CARE OF IT, without outside medical intervention is the best treatment in the world.

20yrsinBranson
I'm going to bet people here on CD.....nay.....even far beyond CD, would be willing to have you share how to self treat an anuerism,pancreatitis, colon & breast cancer, appendicitis, a compound fracture ....just for starters.
We'd probably even pay you.....a minute fraction of a doctors charge, of course

Old 08-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm going to bet people here on CD.....nay.....even far beyond CD, would be willing to have you share how to self treat an anuerism,pancreatitis, colon & breast cancer, appendicitis, a compound fracture ....just for starters.
We'd probably even pay you.....a minute fraction of a doctors charge, of course
Sorry, I can't see myself going to a doctor with perhaps the singular exception of the appendicitis. Although, even that is fraught with danger from our "oh so competent" medical system - as illustrated here:

Heather Harkness (16) died during surgery for appendicitis - MyDeathSpace.com (http://tinyurl.com/mejd6p - broken link)

"Sixteen-year-old Heather Harkness died Sept. 9 during surgery for appendicitis.

An autopsy found she died of blood loss after a carotid artery was cut during the surgery.
"

'nuf said.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,741 times
Quote:
Sorry, I can't see myself going to a doctor with perhaps the singular exception of the appendicitis. Although, even that is fraught with danger from our "oh so competent" medical system - as illustrated here:

Heather Harkness (16) died during surgery for appendicitis - MyDeathSpace.com (http://tinyurl.com/mejd6p - broken link)

"Sixteen-year-old Heather Harkness died Sept. 9 during surgery for appendicitis.

An autopsy found she died of blood loss after a carotid artery was cut during the surgery.
"

'nuf said.

20yrsinBranson
medical mistakes happen, nobody's perfect (not even surgeons). but that should not discourage you from seeking medical advice/attention anymore than not flying on an airplane because there was a crash recently.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I didn't want to pay for the Iraq War, but I didn't have an option.

Elections have consequences. Better luck to you in 2010.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:19 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
The government couldnt even handle Hurricane Katrina.

I certainly dont want its already too-powerful fingers having direct influence on my healthcare. Sorry, I hope this bill fails. We need reform, yes, but not more government power in our lives.

Tweak the laws with the insurance companies and drug companies, I say.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
medical mistakes happen, nobody's perfect (not even surgeons). but that should not discourage you from seeking medical advice/attention anymore than not flying on an airplane because there was a crash recently.
funny you should mention that. I haven't been on a plane since 1976 and I never will again.

I look at it this way. I'm cutting down on my chances.

Never fly in an airplane = never get killed in an airplane
Never climb a mountain = never die while climbing a mountain
Never scuba dive = never die while scuba diving.

Never go to a doctor = never risk the possablity that the doctor is a boob and will kill you.

It's just common sense if you ask me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-15-2009, 01:37 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
funny you should mention that. I haven't been on a plane since 1976 and I never will again.

I look at it this way. I'm cutting down on my chances.

Never fly in an airplane = never get killed in an airplane
Never climb a mountain = never die while climbing a mountain
Never scuba dive = never die while scuba diving.

Never go to a doctor = never risk the possablity that the doctor is a boob and will kill you.

It's just common sense if you ask me.

20yrsinBranson
As for the above or other fatal accidents....if I die in any of those, I'm with you there! I won't seek medical help then either.

You can say you don't drive, don't walk on public streets , can cut your odds and still........oh never mind.
If you SAY you wouldn't seek medical help even for any of the things I mentioned we 'll just have to take you at your word (or not believe you)

Old 08-15-2009, 02:00 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
There are those who believe health care should be a right. That statement is evidence of mass insanity or cognitive dissonance.

Let me rephrase it so it makes perfect sense.
1. HEALTH CARE (someone's labor) is a RIGHT (protected by Constitution).
2. RECEIVING HEALTH CARE (someone's labor) is a RIGHT (protected by Constitution).
3. COMPELLING someone else to do or pay for my health care is a RIGHT. (uh - no, that is involuntary servitude)
4. Giving HEALTH CARE is a RIGHT (nope - unlicensed practice of medicine is a crime).
So you see that what the government says is "health care reform" is not.

If you truly want universal health care, you need to decriminalize the giving of care, decriminalize the purchase of medicine and medical machinery, expand medical training and education, and eliminate tort liability by "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back."

But that requires a reduction in power, which the government is loathe to do.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:57 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:

"

'nuf said.

20yrsinBranson
That would be one heck of a mistake since the carotid arteries are found in the NECK and the appendix is in the lower abdomen! Something is fishy about this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies