Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:50 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The unions also get that "exemption" if they want. So one would ask why the unions are backing Obama ?
source please?? link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
source please?? link?
Here's one. There are others if you google.
What isn't clear though is if that includes ALL unions in the US, like the teacher's union.

Union workers would be exempt from Dem health care tax | San Francisco Examiner (http://www.sfexaminer.com/politics/Union-workers-would-be-exempt-from-Dem-health-care-tax_06_23-48810402.html - broken link)

Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post

$64,000 Question Asked-

FINALLY..... THE $64,000 WAS ASKED-
YESTERDAY ON "ABC-TV" (BETTER KNOWN AS THE ALL BARACK CHANNEL)

DURING THE "NETWORK SPECIAL ON HEALTH CARE".... OBAMA WAS ASKED:

[SIZE=4]
"MR. PRESIDENT WILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY GIVE UP YOUR CURRENT HEALTH CARE PROGRAM AND JOIN THE NEW 'UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE PROGRAM' THAT THE REST OF US WILL BE ON ????"..... (BET YOU ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER)....

THERE WAS A STONEY SILENCE AS OBAMA IGNORED THE QUESTION AND CHOSE NOT TO ANSWER IT....

IN ADDITION, A NUMBER OF SENATORS WERE ASKED THE SAME QUESTION AND THEIR RESPONSE WAS..."WE WILL THINK ABOUT IT."

AND THEY DID. IT WAS ANNOUNCED TODAY ON THE NEWS THAT THE "KENNEDY HEALTH CARE BILL" WAS WRITTEN INTO THE NEW HEALTH CARE REFORM INITIATIVE, ENSURING THAT THAT CONGRESS WILL BE 100% EXEMPT ! This should speak volumes to all of us.

SO, THIS GREAT NEW HEALTH CARE PLAN THAT IS GOOD FOR YOU AND ME... IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR OBAMA, HIS FAMILY OR CONGRESS...?? WE (THE AMERICAN PUBLIC) NEED TO STOP THIS PROPOSED DEBACLE ASAP !!!!... THIS IS TOTALLY WRONG !!!!!

IF YOU AGREE PLEASE PASS THIS ON ....IF NOT PLAN TO SUFFER WITH THE OBAMA HEALTH CARE PLAN ....FOR FREE.... WHILE OUR SELF-SERVING POLITICIANS MAKE SURE THAT THEY TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES AT OUR EXPENSE.
You get to keep your health care plan, so what does it matter to you? To not take credit myself, I heard this said on this forum although I forget who did: By your logic a lawmaker legislating a minimum wage should take a pay cut and be paid that minimum wage. In other words, Obama is advocating a minimum health care, not the best health care. Again, you don't have to change from your current plan to the public option if you are content with what you have. It's just to raise the minimum standard of living.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:03 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Would I choose the government health care plan? NO. I like my insurance. But, if for some reason my insurance went away, the government health plan would be a good temporary alternative.

Maybe that's what he was trying to get across. It's not the best health plan, but it's something to help out in times of need.
I agree. The point is to give the people who don't have health care SOMETHING that's better than NOTHING. Or so I thought.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:08 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
What's the problem here? OP, you have insurance, correct? Do you like it? Are you going to drop that & go to the gov provided one once it's enacted? No? Why not? Oh, because you're satisfied w/the provider your have, right? You have no reason to switch, right? You already HAVE insurance, right? So, in other words, this whole hysteria over this is baseless because as it's been pounded into the stupid thick heads of the idiots on this forum who are against the plan, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET RID OF YOUR INSURANCE PLAN!!!! THIS GOV PLAN IS FOR PEOPLE WHO CANNOT AFFORD INSURANCE IF THEY DO NOT ALREADY HAVE IT. Capisce? Did my capital letters get it thru everyone's idiotic head?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree. The point is to give the people who don't have health care SOMETHING that's better than NOTHING. Or so I thought.
Yes you can keep yours but you will be taxed to cover the government plan as well, remember that.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
What I want to know is if it will evolve through amendments to a tiered health care system, with the government at the top, then state governments, then unions, then the peasants. Cuba already has a system like this that Michael Moore completely ignored.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
What I want to know is if it will evolve through amendments to a tiered health care system, with the government at the top, then state governments, then unions, then the peasants. Cuba already has a system like this that Michael Moore completely ignored.
The bill on OpenCongress is very gray about the details of much of how this will work and what is covered and how much it will cost.
Not being specific is what feeds all this mis-information.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The unions also get that "exemption" if they want. So one would ask why the unions are backing Obama ?
If true, this is a powerful recruiting tool if I ever saw one; the only thing missing will be businesses to hire them.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,105 times
To all those people who think this bill is only going to affect those who currently don't have insurance, you are being naive.

If this bill passes, 10 years from now, private healthcare will be a "whats that?" issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies