Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times

Advertisements

September is supposed to see a few bank holidays of a week or two. Make sure you have some cash on hand in case your bank closes for a couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 PM

512 posts, read 861,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NewsFlash..the Chinese are NOT buying the Treasuries in great quantity anymore..Ben Bernake and the Fed are now the main purchasers.

7-year - The Fed Buys Last Week's Treasury Notes - Aug. 6, 2009 | Blogs at Chris Martenson - 7-year, Auction, Chris Martenson's Blog, Fed, Shell Game, treasury
I saw this last week and got the chills.

So, what happens when Asia hits the bottom of the tank, China calls in our debt, and we can't pay? Do you think this will happen before or after a UHC bills passes?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:59 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have go to dig this up but I believe there was an amendment attached to a passed bill (maybe the defense bill) that allows the FDIC to get more infusion of cash without having to get Congress' approval. I remember reading that amendment and thought..nice stealthy move on their part.
Tax cheat Timmy still had to ask Congress to lift the $12 trillion national debt ceiling in order for the FDIC to access the additional cash they are going to need. Treasury sells more securities to the Fed (as previously noted, other countries are no longer buying our debt), the FDIC gets their cash, the national debt tops the previous $12 trillion ceiling.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Tax cheat Timmy still had to ask Congress to lift the $12 trillion national debt ceiling in order for the FDIC to access the additional cash they are going to need. Treasury sells more securities to the Fed (as previously noted, other countries are no longer buying our debt), the FDIC gets their cash, the national debt tops the previous $12 trillion ceiling.
Obama is well aware of the situation and he goes to Town Hall forums and assures people that he can fund his health care reform. He is a bald faced liar.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I modified my original post with this article link. Still digging for the amendment though. If they don't have to go to Congress to ask for more money then it would not make the MSM. Confidence game people, confidence game.

Bill Seeks to Let FDIC Borrow up to $500 Billion - WSJ.com
"The FDIC would be able to borrow as much as $500 billion until the end of 2010 if the FDIC, Fed, Treasury secretary and White House agree such money is warranted. The bill would allow it to borrow $100 billion absent that approval. Currently, its line of credit with the Treasury is $30 billion."

Old 08-14-2009, 07:05 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
And we're sitting here debating UHC as if there isn't another foot about to drop. I don't think people realize how screwed we are.

Let me ask you something. Do you hold any truth to the belief that the dollar will not collapse because the US is in better economic shape than most other countries?
You know Cleo, I've been wondering this myself...We're not immune to it..

Old 08-14-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I am aware that the Chinese are not buying our debt as they had in the past. That didn't stop Hillary from going there to try to persuade them to buy more of our debt.
Do you wonder if she groveled? I mean, I remember reading about her pleading that we were good for it and gave them her We're A Villiage speech (of course I'm paraphrasing for those who might want a link from me) but I can't imagine Hillary begging for anything.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
September is supposed to see a few bank holidays of a week or two. Make sure you have some cash on hand in case your bank closes for a couple of weeks.
I've been reading and researching this for a while. Now, let's say the banks close for a week. Are you guys understanding it that, when they reopen, we could see the value of our money dropping as much as 40%? I'm not well educated in finances and the history of our economy as much as I'd like to be, which is why I'm asking all these questions.

BTW, love the links. They give me a great start to finding this stuff on my own.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
This is an interesting link.
Federal Reserve Wants to Debase the U.S. Dollar

Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Further discussion on this forum:
One Of Three Down; Is The FDIC Still Solvent? [Ticker] - MarketTicker Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies