Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
No wonder the resident kooks are eager tout Switzerland's healthcare system , but are conveniently silent on it's citizenship laws.
I am one of the "resident kooks" I guess you are referring to, b/c I think the Swiss healthcare system is worth taking a look at - even if we modified how we created a system based on it.

Everyone in Switzerland pays the same amount for healthcare monthly - but there are add-on plans that one can choose to pay more for.

I like the plan but would suggest a sliding fee scale, based on one's income, rather than everyone paying the same.

That would make up the "public option" plan that many people want.

As for being "conveniently silent" about immigration laws in this country - I am not silent on that. We need to close the borders, we need to take a hard look at allowing anyone born here to be a citizen, and we need to address the issue of non-citizens who have been living here for a long time. We can't just deport folks who have been here for decades. We have to allow them a legal method of becoming citizens.

I am not in favor of deporting everyone by any means. I am in favor of making sure no one is sneaking across the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 AM

201 posts, read 240,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
religious or racial, it's still bigotry. I think you have us confused with Stormfront.
Lets see its Europe, not Iran, Its a European People not Middle Eastern People,They are predmoinately christian nations, Not muslim. So no its not bigotry its wanting their nations back. I bet if it was the other way around noone would be bitching.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
By that logic, America is for the Native Americans. Should all people of European ancestry go back to Europe?
Indians did not make america great, they did not make buildings,settle land,turn this country into a great land. Whites did. Why is that always you liberals argument?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,317,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am one of the "resident kooks" I guess you are referring to, b/c I think the Swiss healthcare system is worth taking a look at - even if we modified how we created a system based on it.

Everyone in Switzerland pays the same amount for healthcare monthly - but there are add-on plans that one can choose to pay more for.

I like the plan but would suggest a sliding fee scale, based on one's income, rather than everyone paying the same.

As for being "conveniently silent" about immigration laws in this country - I am not silent on that. We need to close the borders, we need to take a hard look at allowing anyone born here to be a citizen, and we need to address the issue of non-citizens who have been living here for a long time. We can't just deport folks who have been here for decades. We have to allow them a legal method of becoming citizens.

I am not in favor of deporting everyone by any means. I am in favor of making sure no one is sneaking across the border.
Let's see, in favor of government administrated health care,draconian taxes for those with an income to pay for those who don't and amnesty for all existing illegals..mmmm yes that would classify you as a kook and thankfully in the minority.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I wish we had something like that but it would never work in America.

We have to much dead weight from people who feel entitled to a middle class way of life without having to work.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Let's see, in favor of government administrated health care,draconian taxes for those with an income to pay for those who don't and amnesty for all existing illegals..mmmm yes that would classify you as a kook and thankfully in the minority.
ROFL!

No wonder this country is having screaming matches at Town Halls.

You just twisted what I said into something very different than I presented.

I didn't say anything about amnesty for all existing illegals. I don't happen to think that is what needs to happen at all.

I didn't say a thing about taxing everyone to pay for other folks' healthcare. I plainly stated that for those who wanted a public option, everyone could pay for it based on their income. PAY FOR IT - NOT GET TAXED FOR IT. People pay PREMIUMS already.

And as far as government administered healthcare, I said nothing about that! I said a "public option" which could be administered by EXISTING insurance companies, now couldn't it?

May I remind you, both Medicaid and Medicare are "government administered healthcare." So are you against Medicaid and Medicare? Evidently you must be, since you got your pants in a wad about the mere idea of "government run healthcare."

SO who is the kook?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I wish we had something like that but it would never work in America.

We have to much dead weight from people who feel entitled to a middle class way of life without having to work.
It would work. All we have to do is enact it. You can't eliminate dead weight unless you work at it.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:59 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Muslim is not a race, therefore they are not being racist! Every time you bleeding heart liberals get your panties in a bunch you immediately pull out the race card to make you feel better.

Bleeding heart liberals? THAT's laughable considering the fact it's the bleeding heart NeoConfuseds who believe it the duty of the US to spread democracy in other lands while deeming domestic US issues as unworthy of US investment of time and $$$.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Wow, good for Sweden. Common sense making a return? PC policies are ruinous, hopefully Sweden is successful in their endeavor.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Wow, good for Sweden. Common sense making a return? PC policies are ruinous, hopefully Sweden is successful in their endeavor.

Its Switzerland not Sweden lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies