Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

This judge got a call from a lawyer demanding she keep the court oprn past 5 so he could appeal his clients execution. He did not want to appeal because his client was innocent but because "lethal injection is cruel and unusual punishment".
This judge said "court closes at 5PM and that is that" and she shut and locked the door, turned off the lights and went home- as usual. And the state of Texas gave the slimeball killer his justice that night and sent him to hell.
But now the attorney is trying to have the judge removed. The people of Texas ought to demand she stay!

Judge: Would still close before death-row appeal - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090819/ap_on_re_us/us_execution_deadline - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times
The judge's actions are not typical. Most judges in that situation, knowing that an execution is scheduled, stay late and are available for late filings. Judges are paid a salary - not by the hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
But now the attorney is trying to have the judge removed.
No. The charges were laid by the State Commission on Judicial Conduct.

"On February 19, 2009, the State Commission on Judicial Conduct charged Keller with five counts of misconduct. The commission charged Keller with dereliction of duty, denying Richard his right to access to the courts and incompetence in office. It wrote that Keller's actions constituted “willful or persistent conduct that casts public discredit on the judiciary”.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
I think the judge should have stayed. Thats my opinion though, and its not my state.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,633,285 times
Quote:
This judge got a call from a lawyer demanding she keep the court oprn past 5 so he could appeal his clients execution. He did not want to appeal because his client was innocent but because "lethal injection is cruel and unusual punishment".
This judge said "court closes at 5PM and that is that" and she shut and locked the door, turned off the lights and went home- as usual. And the state of Texas gave the slimeball killer his justice that night and sent him to hell.
But now the attorney is trying to have the judge removed. The people of Texas ought to demand she stay!

Judge: Would still close before death-row appeal - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090819/ap_on_re_us/us_execution_deadline - broken link)
Complete dereliction of duty.................the judge should be charged accordingly.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The judge's actions are not typical. Most judges in that situation, knowing that an execution is scheduled, stay late and are available for late filings. Judges are paid a salary - not by the hour.
I could understand staying late IF there was a reason for doing so. Such as "there may be questions here of guilt or innocence" or "my client is so mentally retarded or insane that he could not know what he is doing". But not for "yes my slimeball client tortured and killed a mother in front of her children but we think giving him a shot and putting him to sleep is too cruel a punishment". The judge did the right thing. I would have done the same thing.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
I would have done the same thing.

Thank goodness you aren't a lawyer much less a judge. Ruling on the motion before it is presented because you personal opinion is that the motion which you didn't hear, doesn't have the right amount gravitas!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:14 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
If there is a Hell, I hope you're enjoying it Michael Wayne Richard.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
I could understand staying late IF there was a reason for doing so. Such as "there may be questions here of guilt or innocence" or "my client is so mentally retarded or insane that he could not know what he is doing". But not for "yes my slimeball client tortured and killed a mother in front of her children but we think giving him a shot and putting him to sleep is too cruel a punishment". The judge did the right thing. I would have done the same thing.
I have to side with you on this Kev. The man was found guilty. his lawyer accepted that he was guilty, the people of Texas accept Lethal injection as an appropriate punishment for the crime of murder.
Case closed the killer got exactly what he had coming. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:15 PM

689 posts, read 743,282 times
Ya know...F that murdering rapist. Two trials...guilty x2. That argument of cruel and unusual is a stuuuuuuuuupppppppiiiiiiddddddd stall tactic and everyone knows it. Aside from someone running into the courtroom with a video tape of someone else doing his crimes or DNA test results pointing to someone else (or something else obvious), these shouldn't even be allowed. What a waste of time and money.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:17 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Totally agree with you on this one. Disbar the lawyer
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies