Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 10:28 AM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times

Advertisements

We are turning this thread into a validation or not of having a weapon,most agree that people have a right to own a weapon.

The question is is it proper to bring one to a political rally?And to bring one to a rally in a grandstanding way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Ok, this thread has totally gone off the deep end. I am a gun owner and have a permit to carry, but come on people, there is NO reason to carry a weapon to an event where the President of The United States of America is going to be, NONE. Don't speak of your rights, there are responsibilites that go with the right to bear arms. I do not care if it is Bush or Obama, you are an idiot to carry a gun to an event they would attend, and if you do I hope they drag you off for a few days of questions and while at it a mental health evaluation, some of you might not see the light of day for a long time to come.
Casper

Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's better than doing nothing, and getting shot. If I can disarm someone with a knife, I can do the same against a gun, unless they are out of reach.
Oh Gawwwwwd! LMAO, good luck with that pard, and I pray you never try that for real. Especially if you do so because someone is merely in possesion of a weapon. On to the rallyists, this was a STUPID way to make a statement. They did not break any laws by doing so, but such antics do we gun owners no favors. I prefer a far more subtle approach, and prefer to keep the fact that I carry a weapon daily, far more private. In terms of my CCW anyway. Around here it is not unusual, or cause for any concern, to have a rifle hanging in the truck. Thats just SOP. But a ranch area and town is not a major metro area. Common sense needs to be used. That's why I have a CCW. I can be armed while on trips to the city, and not freak anyone out. Thus the term CONCEALED weapon permit.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm still claiming a right to SELF-defense. The fact that they have a weapon is a threat. And if they shoot me, they justify my case.

They never would have thought Whitman or Wesbrook was going to shoot anyone when they did so. Wouldn't it have better if someone had denied Whitman access to guns on that day in Austin?

Do you really think the mentally ill should have weapons? And since they wouldn't necessarily know that a person was mentally ill when they acquired the weapon, shouldn't we just keep people from acquiring weapons?

As a matter of fact, one's willingness to KILL another human being is a sign of mental illness in and of itself. There's no need to kill you to protect me. Hurt you real bad, perhaps, but not kill you.
Mere possesion of a weapon does NOT imply a threat , of any kind, to you or any one else. But many people, you included, obviously, think that it does.. OK, I run into you at Wal Mart, I reach for something on a high shelf, my shirt pulls up and you see the butt of my weapon. I have commited a misdeamenor at this point, as prime directive is to make sure your weapon stays concealed. But, you are saying that you would be justified in attacking me , at this point, simply because you SAW my weapon? Such a mentallity will get you in serious trouble. Possibly killed. And you would be commiting a felony. You need to take the grey matter out of the Playdough jug before you take such a position. The presence of a weapon does not imply imminent danger., and all the Aikido or whatever in the world is not going to ensure you will be victorious against an armed person, who you have just attacked, unprovoked for no other reason than they are carrying on a CCW, and had an equipment malfunction. Sheesh, what a zealous way of looking at things, and CCW holders get called paranoid?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Open carry laws or not what are these people trying to prove? I'm glad the Secret Service is keeping a VERY close eye on them.

From CNN: Multiple People Carry Assault Weapons/Pistol To President Obama's VFW Event In Phoenix, Arizona - 08/17/09

The point probably already has been made but if anyone was in possession of an assault weapon, which is automatic, he would have been arrested. Possession of machine guns--automatic weapons--is illegal.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,191,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The point probably already has been made but if anyone was in possession of an assault weapon, which is automatic, he would have been arrested. Possession of machine guns--automatic weapons--is illegal.
Still doesn't answer the question as to what these nut jobs are trying to prove by toting a gun along to a peaceful demonstration. IMHO it is simply intimidation tactics.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:27 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,976,324 times
It's stories like this that make a centrist gun owner like me cringe. I live in NJ where the gun laws are particularly draconian and I'm not a fan of them. I had to pay $60, submit to a background/mental health records check, and provide personal references in order to get what is known as a "Firearms ID Card." I have no issue with that as I believe that all people who wish to own firearms should demonstrate that they are mentally, physically, and morally fit to do so. What I do have an issue with is the fact that possession of the card by itself merely allows me to purchase long guns (rifles and shotguns). If I want a handgun I have to pay an additional amount of money and submit to an additional background check for an additional permit. One permit per handgun, one handgun per month. What the cards, permits, and background checks do not allow me to do is to carry a loaded handgun on my person or in my vehicle for protection. NJ does not permit open carry at all and concealed carry permits are only obtainable by the well connected and/or wealthy.

New Jersey also restricts so called "assault weapons" which, scary as the term may seem, are simply clones of military rifles which are NOT automatic or "machine" guns. They are no more dangerous than the average deer hunting rifle. The media loves the term "assault weapon" and never misses a chance to plaster it all over the place as in this instance. However, I can't help but feel that so called "gun rights advocates" are doing us middle of the road folks no favors by essentially saying "I don't like the government, I'm armed, and I'm going to impose my will by force." Of course on the other hand, despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to convince my more liberal friends that concealed carry is a good idea, and that "assault weapons" are not fully automatic military grade hardware. It is becoming very lonely in the middle.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:48 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
. I live in NJ where the gun laws are particularly draconian and I'm not a fan of them. I had to pay $60, submit to a background/mental health records check, and provide personal references in order to get what is known as a "Firearms ID Card." I have no issue with that as I believe that all people who wish to own firearms should demonstrate that they are mentally, physically, and morally fit to do so. What I do have an issue with is the fact that possession of the card by itself merely allows me to purchase long guns (rifles and shotguns). If I want a handgun I have to pay an additional amount of money and submit to an additional background check for an additional permit. One permit per handgun, one handgun per month. What the cards, permits, and background checks do not allow me to do is to carry a loaded handgun on my person or in my vehicle for protection. NJ does not permit open carry at all and concealed carry permits are only obtainable by the well connected and/or wealthy.

New Jersey also restricts so called "assault weapons" which, scary as the term may seem, are simply clones of military rifles which are NOT automatic or "machine" guns. They are no more dangerous than the average deer hunting rifle. The media loves the term "assault weapon" and never misses a chance to plaster it all over the place as in this instance. However, I can't help but feel that so called "gun rights advocates" are doing us middle of the road folks no favors by essentially saying "I don't like the government, I'm armed, and I'm going to impose my will by force." Of course on the other hand, despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to convince my more liberal friends that concealed carry is a good idea, and that "assault weapons" are not fully automatic military grade hardware. It is becoming very lonely in the middle.

Good gawd I would never live in NJ or any state like that.You have to get a permit for every handgun?That is a bit overkill,one for all should be enough and frankly you shouldn't need a permit at all anyway.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
It was staged, set up by a radio host....if you would have read this thread you would have seen this:

From CNN's Rick Sanchez: Man With Assault Rifle At President Obama Event Was Staged By Radio Host

YouTube - Man With Assault Rifle At Obama Event Was Staged By Radio Host
Well, if it was said on a news-atainment station, it MUST be true.

In reality, The CNN/MSNBC/Fox team is slightly less reliable than the internet for information.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What IS an assault rifle?

'Allowed'???
The 2nd Amendment....ever heard of it?

Yes,they openly state so.

Where do you get this from???

You are free to own armored vehicles,not an Abrams however.

Obama is doing the same...perhaps you missed that....and it is always wrong.
Ok, any gun that can fire more than 20 rounds in less then a minute..hows that.

who besides collectors and militias really want to have automatic rifles, tell me exactly what is the purpose?
I repeat, why would you NEED a tank? or to realistic an armored car?
...another extremist (yawn)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies