Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 PM

26 posts, read 47,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
The total cost was $137, and she said that my payment now was $68, and I asked if she was going to bill me the difference and she replied, "There is no balance, that's the cost for self pay." Needless to say, I was very pleased and wanted to share that with everyone without any agenda. I literally paid half because I was self pay, i.e. cash.
That's been my experience for the 9 years that I've been without health insurance. Doctors charge me only the "Medicare rate" which is a little more than half of the insured-person rate.

I wish hospitals and pharmacies and labs did the same, but they don't. Only doctors.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
There is an increase of the number of Doctors who are discontinuing taking health insurance all together. It costs them so much to bill and collect that they are tired of it.

The patient pays cash to the doctor - the doctor gives them a receipt and the patient can seek re-reimbursement.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:56 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What do you have to hide?

All you have to do is show us a scanned copy of your bill and this will all be over. It's that simple.
Who is this "us" you speak of; and what will "all be over?" You're the only one claiming that I'm making this up. I could never imagine living in such partisan hatred. How much anger must be in your heart? Go call your mom and tell her that you love her.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
[quote=rkb0305;10371298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post

I agree. I would be ok with paying out of pocket for routine visits, but I think everyone should have catastrophic insurance.
One of my routine visits to the clinic that included bloodwork, which I need every few months to check my thyroid levels, was almost $500. That's for one visit. I for one don't have $500. cash on me.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Mmmm mine was 80 dollars with no insurance. Isnt life grand when you work direct with your doctor have doctors with conpetitive rates and choose your doctor. Then you dont need to have all those high priced taxes to create a system with will interfere with your cost and the market cost.
Give every American a choice and have them learn the facts.
Insurance companies and government work together who do think wrote the laws.
I really have a problem looking at getting or giving health care under the same principles as buying/selling a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rational_Inquirer View Post
That's been my experience for the 9 years that I've been without health insurance. Doctors charge me only the "Medicare rate" which is a little more than half of the insured-person rate.

I wish hospitals and pharmacies and labs did the same, but they don't. Only doctors.
Our office just quit giving discounts to people w/o insurance, as we have decided they have made a choice not to have it, so let them pay the full amt.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I really have a problem looking at getting or giving health care under the same principles as buying/selling a car.

Our office just quit giving discounts to people w/o insurance, as we have decided they have made a choice not to have it, so let them pay the full amt.
Actually buying a car and paying for health care is the same thng. They follow the same economic rules anyway.

And people take less money for self-pay because they get their money right away. Plus it frees up time from paperwork and stuff. Under medicare, insurance etc they have to wait for payment and do a bunch of paperwork. So they get more money. That's another rule of economics. More wait, more work= more compensation.

Basically, your office is turning away business because you don't agree with people's financial decisions. Seems pretty stupid.

All those people will do is go to another doctor. That's another law of economics. People raley pay more for something when they can walk across the street and get the same thing for less money.

If I were you I would look for another job. Whoever makes financial decisions for your company is hurting you. I'm not trying to sound like a smart arse. I'm being serious. Decisions like that will put you out of business. Unless you get a bailout. LOLs.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats all the insurance companies and government pay.. They pay percentiles of the local procedural rates of ICD-9 or UCR rates, a rate mandated by the federal government.

The hospital/doctor bills are almost a joke for those who understand that the billed rates are never the amount they expect to be paid.. bills go out as a notification that services were performed and a payment or negotiation of the bill is expected...

I broke both of my wrists last year, similar response. One hand was completely reconstructed and they even found a problem with my esophagus before I was even asked about insurance.. This was about a week after being admitted to the hospital..

Received the bills in the mail, paid and received about 1/2 off of all of the tests and procedures.. I think the total was somewhere around $4K which wasnt to bad considering the completely reconstructed my hands and they had to put metal braces into the wrists..
Well, with Obama care you'll wait in line and the problems will worsen and will cost twice as much to fix. Of course YOU won't be paying for it.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Actually buying a car and paying for health care is the same thng. They follow the same economic rules anyway.

And people take less money for self-pay because they get their money right away. Plus it frees up time from paperwork and stuff. Under medicare, insurance etc they have to wait for payment and do a bunch of paperwork. So they get more money. That's another rule of economics. More wait, more work= more compensation.

Basically, your office is turning away business because you don't agree with people's financial decisions. Seems pretty stupid.

All those people will do is go to another doctor. That's another law of economics. People raley pay more for something when they can walk across the street and get the same thing for less money.

If I were you I would look for another job. Whoever makes financial decisions for your company is hurting you. I'm not trying to sound like a smart arse. I'm being serious. Decisions like that will put you out of business. Unless you get a bailout. LOLs.
We're not turning people away, we're telling them they have to pay full fee. The fees are set b/c that is what it costs to treat these people. A lot of people get very "bonded" to their doctors (especially their pedicatricians, which is who I work for). It has not diminished our business. I have no intention of looking for another job. I only have a few years to go until I retire.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:22 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We're not turning people away, we're telling them they have to pay full fee. The fees are set b/c that is what it costs to treat these people. A lot of people get very "bonded" to their doctors (especially their pedicatricians, which is who I work for). It has not diminished our business. I have no intention of looking for another job. I only have a few years to go until I retire.
When you charge them the full fee then they will find another place to go. They should anyway.

How can you justify charging them the same price anyway. If you don't have to deal with a third-party like an insurance company then how can you charge them for that service?

It adds cost to your business to have a third-party payer. But you charge the same price to someone that declines the use of third-party payer? Sounds like a rip-off to me.

Sorry about the childish comment. Didn't really mean to direct that at you.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 PM

The owner of the business is tired of people expecting a discount b/c they have chosen not to have insurance. Many of these people are quite weathy. We have to pay the clerical people to file ins. regardless of whether a few aren't using it. We'd probably give a discount to someone who just lost their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies