Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
EXACTLY!!! Serving as a Senator was never meant to be a life long career.
Actually, if you go back to the Founding Fathers, Senators were not elected. They were appointed by their state governments, thus a Bill passing the Senate meant that a majority of the states had concurred. It was the 17th Amendment that changed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
There ARE term limits....it's called VOTING!

How brave and patriotic of these two (Byrd and Kennedy), when many retire they keep plugging on in service to their country.
ROFLMAO Who? sometimes you kill me. I mean this in a friendly way. Loved the post.
Unfortunately as you yourself have pointed out some voters simply vote partyline. In fact I would hazard that most vote party line.
Brave and patriotic are not words I would use to describe the Kennedy family. Corrupt, power mad, obsessed. Those seem to fit quite well. The discovery chanal did quite a piece on the Kennedy's. It put just a bit of tarnish on the myths and glammor surrounding the royal family.
Byrd? Well he is an old byrd after all.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Ted Kennedy was too ill to attend his own sister's funeral, and Robert Byrd is in bad health and is absent a lot from the Senate. Byrd is in his 90s and has served over fifty years in the Senate. Kennedy is in his late 70s, has served 47 years, and has malignant brain tumor.

Who has the authority to deem these men as too ill/mentally unstable to serve?
Kennedy has been mentally unstable for years..nothing to do with his age or health..but thats besides the point... Byrd wears his Civil War uniform to bed at night..time to retire?? Possibly

Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
True one can not be fired due to age. But people should be fired based on job performance. If any senator demonstrates the inability to do the job based on health they should be removed.
The state inwhich our Fed Gov is in demonstrates exactly why we need term limits.
Kennedy ans Specter are both examples of whats wrong with career politicians. Look back at my posts about specter. I said this about him when he was still a republican.
That's what voting is for.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
ROFLMAO Who? sometimes you kill me. I mean this in a friendly way. Loved the post.
Unfortunately as you yourself have pointed out some voters simply vote partyline. In fact I would hazard that most vote party line."""

In this country you are allowed to vote anyway you want.

"""Brave and patriotic are not words I would use to describe the Kennedy family. Corrupt, power mad, obsessed. Those seem to fit quite well. The discovery chanal did quite a piece on the Kennedy's. It put just a bit of tarnish on the myths and glammor surrounding the royal family.
Byrd? Well he is an old byrd after all.
Well, you can get up on your moral high horse and declare no other families have those problems but Kennedy HAS devoted his life to the public and has accomplished a great deal for the country....guess I'm selfish ...I care about what he did/tried to do for Americans...not what happened in his private life.
Although, Yes, it IS brave to go on in politics when your brothers are being asassinated and you have to face many other tragedies....especially when you're so wealthy you could opt out anytime.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's what voting is for.
Term limits offer a built in safe guard. Its the career politicians who are infact what is destroying this nation.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Term limits offer a built in safe guard. Its the career politicians who are infact what is destroying this nation.
"Safe guard"? Safe from what?

You're saying Americans aren't competent to vote? To choose?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Kennedy has been mentally unstable for years..nothing to do with his age or health..but thats besides the point... Byrd wears his Civil War uniform to bed at night..time to retire?? Possibly
So was said of Reagan during his second term, with visible signs of Alzheimer's affecting his job.

Having said that, mental instability isn't unconstitutional (if it were, I would put Bachmann, Palin and like on the list as well).

Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Under the ADEA one cannot be forced to retire because of age.
BTW, did you bring this up when rethugs have been in office with advanced age and failing health?

Didn't think so.
Do you often talk to yourself? "Didn't think so"....

"Rethugs"? Is that the Daily Kos or Democratic (sic) Underground new phraseology?

Thought so....

It makes no difference which party has a ninety-year old member their voting is suspect. Apparently you didn't read the comment about Thurman. "Didn't think so"......

Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Whatsa madda? Too close to the truth for ya?

I am not hijacking a thread , I am stating my opinion on why these two people should work to the death.
Truth? You wouldn't know it if it bit you on the butt. All you paid bloggers/poster make me sick. The only "truth" you know is what the DNC sends you via email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies