Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Actually I don't get a lot of that type of e-mail. For that matter, I'm pretty lucky in that I just don't get a lot of spam.

The e-mails I was referring to were the e-mails posted here on this site. The "I just received this from a 'friend' and it's true" type of threads.

You don't see many like that started by liberals... which I'm glad about.

Just seems odd that conservatives use it as much as they do and you rarely see an e-mail posted by a liberal.
I think it's because those e-mails are targeted towards a certain mindset. I do wish that the posting of them here was discouraged; this forum is supposed to be for political discussion and not a depository for these bogus e-mails that feed off the ignorance and gullibility of the rabid right.

It does seem that most of those who tend towards the left here have somewhat better communications skills than those who continually post those e-mails, and are therefore able to make their points without relying on spam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Honestly, it seems to me that I see a lot of e-mails from the right, usually bogus, that get circulated around and somewhere along the line, responded to with the facts.

Why don't liberals do more of that? Why not let them scramble a little?
I have an opinion (or perhaps an observation) about this. Liberals tend to look carefully at issues, consider things from all sides, before coming down for or against an issue. Not all of them, of course, but I feel safe in saying most. Unlike conservatives who "go with" the emotionial, dare I say "hateful" argument, without putting any independent thought, much less actual research, into the equation. Again, for those conservatives out there who I very much respect (and you know who you are) not all of you, just the "general trend". . .

Old 08-25-2009, 03:39 PM

195 posts, read 427,247 times
Quote:
Honestly, it seems to me that I see a lot of e-mails from the right, usually bogus, that get circulated around and somewhere along the line, responded to with the facts.

Why don't liberals do more of that? Why not let them scramble a little?

Its easier to spread hate and deception amongst other hateful people in trying to convince them to join them. in other words, the Right is spreading hate because things are not going their way.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:40 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Well, so do I... but you see the difference?

Liberals have better spam filters?

Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Right-wingers as a group have higher attractions to forms of top-down authoritarianism. This makes them more vulnerable to demagoguery via any means. E-mail, websites, AM radio...it doesn't really matter. It's all part of the same vibe of unity and belonging through a common, structured dependency.

Liberals simply don't have that gene...

Old 08-26-2009, 09:52 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
I also think conservativism is a much more absolute value system - the whole "you're either with us or against us" worldview. If their leaders can convince them someone is "against us", then they can rally the tribe against that person. That's what's happeneing to Obama.

In contrast, liberalism is a value system of nuance. Nobody wants absolute government control, but people are much more open to considering increased spending for a greater good (whereas conservatives see all increased spending as bad, unless it's military or gay monitoring).

Thus, why liberals prefer a more balanced NPR perspective and conservatives prefer to have their ideas regurgitated to them through talk shows, emails, etc...

There's simply a much larger degree of critical thinking and nuance from the liberal side, which is both good and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies