Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:49 AM

454 posts, read 796,118 times

Advertisements

I'll work up some outrage for this after we dispose of legacy points and preferences granted to elite prep school students.

Oops, my class is showing! :blush:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
This topic was discussed on the Michael Savage show, and he was just ranting about the way in which some liberals think even with matters concerning their own children.
Awesome!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:54 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
he was just ranting

Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
It seems like a baited question.

You have no real way of knowing if another student is less qualified. They may have gone to public school and gotten average grades but perhaps the college considered other criteria.

As someone pointed out, not everyone gets into the college of their choice, but there are plenty of good schools around.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
A liberal thinking mother of a college aged student was asked did she think it was fair or right for her child to be denied admission to a good university over a less qualified minority student? She unequivocally stated yes it was fair because that minority student, unfortunately, has not had the same opportunities as her priviledged child, and thus it would be fair for that less qualified minority to be admitted into a good university.

Is this madness or not? I am a black male, and I believe in fairness for all. But I was just floored when I heard that this liberal thinking mother give, basically, a politically correct answer while denying her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have. I don't understand the logic there at all.
I think it is a perfectly reasonable answer. Clearly this mother knows that her child will be fine wherever he goes to school. She also may consider that this is the ONLY opportunity that this 'less-qualified' student has to attend college, while her child may have been accepted at several other 'good' schools.
I guess I don't understand why true altruism is a bad thing nowadays.
I mean, doesn't the Christian right want us to be more like Jesus?
I certainly can think of no better example of Christian behavior than what this woman has demonstrated in her answer.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I see no links, and it sounds like you pulled this story out of your ass in order to make "liberal thinking" sound illogical. I am a "liberal" (socially far left but fiscally just left of center) and I think the mother's answer is ridiculous. I don't believe it is true, but even if it was, it does not exemplify "liberal thinking" at all. Ask a good cross-section, say 1000 people, and then come back and report their answers.
I guess I need to start with you since I am speaking out of my booty...ROFLOL

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I think it is a perfectly reasonable answer. Clearly this mother knows that her child will be fine wherever he goes to school. She also may consider that this is the ONLY opportunity that this 'less-qualified' student has to attend college, while her child may have been accepted at several other 'good' schools.
I guess I don't understand why true altruism is a bad thing nowadays.
I mean, doesn't the Christian right want us to be more like Jesus?
I certainly can think of no better example of Christian behavior than what this woman has demonstrated in her answer.
I perfectly understand your point, and I am all for altruism. But there seems to be this idea that guilt is supposed to be some how imposed on people who happen to be white and priviledged so that standards are lowered for the sake of having equality for all--especially if you are liberal.

In my opinion, that's a slap on every minority's face if the only way we can achieve equality is by lowering standards to make up for the achievement gap. All that I am saying as a black man who grew up in the inner city, Compton CA to be exact, where my education compared to my fellow classmates in college was anything but standard, I had to learn how to shape up or ship out of that university that opened the doors for me probably at the expense of a more qualified person. Now with that said, that university investment in me obviously paid off, but again my motivation and determination to succeed as well as having a praying family helped me graduate out of the university of California's system.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
A Liberal Mother's Logic

...sounds logical to those with common sense.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
A liberal thinking mother of a college aged student was asked did she think it was fair or right for her child to be denied admission to a good university over a less qualified minority student? She unequivocally stated yes it was fair because that minority student, unfortunately, has not had the same opportunities as her priviledged child, and thus it would be fair for that less qualified minority to be admitted into a good university.

Is this madness or not? I am a black male, and I believe in fairness for all. But I was just floored when I heard that this liberal thinking mother give, basically, a politically correct answer while denying her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have. I don't understand the logic there at all.
I'm curious...where and when did this take place? Was it a conversation with someone that you had in real life?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
The Michael Savage show. Does that come as any surprise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies