Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times

Advertisements

All quotes originally posted by reconmark

Quote:
Not a single women was allowed to contribute in any way to the Declaration of Independence, nor were any of my ancestors (Blacks) nor Native Americans nor any other race of people living on this continent at the time.
Yes it was definately a small elite group of white men who crafted this document!
So, your esteemed Dr. May is wrong on this point.

These men may have believed they were divinely inspired and they may have been but the fact remains that they decided who would receive these rights.
While your words ring true, it is a misguided effort to prove that from your viewpoint, the man spoke unwisely. Yes, it is true that when that document was written, certain people did not get to put their vote in or help with the writing. Nor were any normal people. It was indeed written by a group of aristocratic white men. He never disputed who "wrote" the document, he simply stated that according to the document, all men are given their basic human rights by God, not by those writing the document. And while at the time the accepted social order of things meant women, slaves, American Indians, etc. were excluded from those God given rights by the evil workings of men, it made the words no less true. Even if you don't believe in God, the fact remains that your right to live as a free entity are not given to you by any man. They are yours, period. And that is the point of the words in our founding documents. Now were those men speaking mostly on their own behalf. Yes. Does that change the meaning of those words today? No. These men's vision simply surpassed their capacity to truly understand the meaning. Over time we have remedied their short sighted vision and allowed those words to assume their true place. The man did not misrepresent the document by any means, he is just operating on our modern perception.

Quote:
This constitution was NOT originally drafted with any intent to protect or benefit people of color.
It took numerous Amendments before it represented "ordinary Americans" or attempted to protect their rights under it.
He was wrong again.
This statement is right on the money. These men did not write that document with people of color in mind. But as I stated above, they simply didn't realize what those enlightened words actually meant for the future of this country. Their perception was limited, while ours is now so broad. Their intent doesn't matter, because their written words surpassed their actual ability to understand their meaning. Once again, the man isn't wrong.

Quote:
This is too stupid to even answer!
How about YOU supply a link to this statement!
I agree. I would also like to see some actual video or audio of these statements. I have heard President Obama say some things that didn't quite sit right with me, but I haven't heard him say the things stated in the OP.

Quote:
Links for all of this propaganda available??

I didn't think so.

Again it's a mis-informed, indoctrinated black man some people put on a pedestal in order to try to give some valdity to a bunch of non-sense!
Again, I agree, I would like to see some actual evidence of these claims.

And I believe the "black man" is getting so much attention because the general idea is that "all" black people support Obama no matter what. I for one know this isn't true, I just had a conversation with a "black man" that I work with and he does not support Obama's healthcare bill. He is just a regular guy, drives the material delivery truck, and likes having the freedom to make his own choices where his body is concerned. Just a regular guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:18 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Wow. A black man agreeing with right wing Republicans is so special that it demands it's own thread.
Keep in mind that there's several posts a day claiming that conservatives and town hall protesters are really just racists in disguise; just look at my thread about those that disagree with Obama are called racists for exhibit A. The fact that a black conservative is speaking out against this is a big deal, if only it will stop one person from throwing out the "r" word so flippantly.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Keep in mind that there's several posts a day claiming that conservatives and town hall protesters are really just racists in disguise; just look at my thread about those that disagree with Obama are called racists for exhibit A. The fact that a black conservative is speaking out against this is a big deal, if only it will stop one person from throwing out the "r" word so flippantly.

Its ONLY a big deal because like others, he's resorting to statements that CAN NOT be backed up. Its ONLY a big deal because he's resorting to claiming the President made STATEMENTS that were NEVER made. His race is ONLY a big deal, because the OP made it a big deal by mentioning he was BLACK. Maybe every person who speaks for or against the President, their race should be included no matter what.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
At the TEA PARTY, a black man, Dr. Donald May, delivered this message from the courthouse steps in Lubbock TX .
Funny that first they say "a black man" and then they say his name.

If he was white, nobody would know that he exists

Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
just look at my thread about those that disagree with Obama are called racists for exhibit A.
can't find it

Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Why is this in Gy2020's post title?
Quote:
Dr. Donald May, black minister speaks at Lubbock, TX Tea party
Dr May doesn't look like a black man. And does not appear to be a minister.

(photo)

http://blogs.lubbockonline.com/conservative/about-the-author/ (broken link)

Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:

(photo)

http://blogs.lubbockonline.com/conservative/about-the-author/ (broken link)
Hmmm....now that is interesting.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
They just make stuff up.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Reads2Much,
I'll have to differ with your reading and "modernist" interpretation of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

Again the U.S. Constitution was NEVER meant to afford people like me the protections and rights of "citizens".

Blacks were not considered human they were considered as property and had no expectations of constitutional protections.
Later on "Amendments" were put in place to give me the rights and privileges of citizenship, but we both know the reality of that practice of institutional Jim crow that officially lasted up to my lifetime.

The Doctor was wrong, the amendments were designed to protect me not the constitution.
While this may seem an insignificant distinction to you, as the saying goes "the truth is in the details".

The Declaration of Independence falls due to the same argument.
If a group was originally,purposely excluded from membership, you can't go back and change it retroactively and make the statement that from the very beginning those who were originally excluded really weren't because someday in the future society would become wiser.

In my opinion the doctor was wrong on all the points I originally mentioned, we simply have a different perspective on it.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:

(photo)

Mr. Conservative » About The Author (http://blogs.lubbockonline.com/conservative/about-the-author/ - broken link)
One drop rule!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies