Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 AM

345 posts, read 643,325 times

Advertisements

Health Care Debate Based on Total Lack of Logic - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090826/sc_livescience/healthcaredebatebasedontotallackoflogic - broken link)

Quote:
Heated partisan debate over President Obama's health care plan, erupting at town hall meetings and in the blogosphere, has more to do with our illogical thought processes than reality, sociologists are finding.

The problem: People on both sides of the political aisle often work backward from a firm conclusion to find supporting facts, rather than letting evidence inform their views.
I like this article because it has something to say to BOTH sides of any partisan debate. I only stop by this forum periodically, because for every one intelligent comment or post, ten more useless partisan attacks overshadow it. Maybe people here can learn something by reading this article, but...probably not. They'll still cling to their views despite a lack of evidence and truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
It's amazing to see people debating the topic when they have no idea how hospital billing or costs work. Even worse when you see a room full of people arguing against government run health care, then the speaker asks the people who were on Medicare to raise their hands. The one I witnessed where he stated they were on it already, many were actually surprised because they didn't know.

I don't agree with the plan myself, but I'd rather debate on facts then lies and propaganda. Hatred, anger, and lies are the worst way to conduct the debate by anyone...doing so just pushes politics and debate into even worse territory.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,054,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's amazing to see people debating the topic when they have no idea how hospital billing or costs work. Even worse when you see a room full of people arguing against government run health care, then the speaker asks the people who were on Medicare to raise their hands. The one I witnessed where he stated they were on it already, many were actually surprised because they didn't know.

I don't agree with the plan myself, but I'd rather debate on facts then lies and propaganda. Hatred, anger, and lies are the worst way to conduct the debate by anyone...doing so just pushes politics and debate into even worse territory.
What is scarier the fact that some people are arguing based on lies and know it or some are arguing based on lies and have no clue?

This is what the healthcare debate is full of and is why I have abstained from arguing about the language in the bill.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

Whose fault is it that the debate is not based on facts (if, indeed, that is the case)? I blame the Dems in Congress who have crafted an 1100 page monstrosity that is so amorphous that readers have to guess at its meaning and consequences. The dems wanted to exclude from the drafting process not only Republicans but the general public, as well. That is why they planned on passing this before the August recess so that the people would be presented with a fait accompli. It didn't work out that way and now the Dems have to defend the indefensible before the American public. They made their bed. Let them lie in it. Cry me no tears about lies and misinformation or unruly gatherings of citizens.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,563 times
Any debate that involves the general public will be completely devoid of logic. It isn't limited to health care by any means.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Whose fault is it that the debate is not based on facts (if, indeed, that is the case)? I blame the Dems in Congress who have crafted an 1100 page monstrosity that is so amorphous that readers have to guess at its meaning and consequences. The dems wanted to exclude from the drafting process not only Republicans but the general public, as well. That is why they planned on passing this before the August recess so that the people would be presented with a fait accompli. It didn't work out that way and now the Dems have to defend the indefensible before the American public. They made their bed. Let them lie in it. Cry me no tears about lies and misinformation or unruly gatherings of citizens.
No, it's a systematic issue. Every since I've been born I've rarely seen a debate crafted around fact and more on emotional pleas, media manipulation and bull****.

Blaming one side is really, really stupid. Look at the Iraq war as the most egregious and recent example, the drug war would be another pretty solid example as well.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I blame the Dems in Congress who have crafted an 1100 page monstrosity that is so amorphous that readers have to guess at its meaning and consequences.
Of course you would. Big surprise there.

Having said that, did you expect a five page bill, meant to be signed into law, written in simple English for everybody to understand? Clearly, you have not seen many bills that go thru the Congress, have you?

And if nobody has read it, why are there so many making claims against it? Are they just making things up? Drawing conclusions based on selective reading?

If I can read about a quarter of it in my spare time in a 2-3 days, people who get paid for it (as your representative/senators) can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies