Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:11 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times

Advertisements

This thread is not to bash Ted Kennedy. For those who will miss him or want to discuss him there are multiple threads going on about him.

This thread rather should be about remembering a young woman whose life was cut short as a victim of another's wealth and privilege, and whose name has been trampled in the name of the "greater good." May her memory be a blessing.

Again, please, do not turn this in to a Ted Kennedy bashing thread. A conversation about the dangers of treating fellow citizens like royalty and inequality before law seems like a much better way to honor her memory.

And for those who feel compelled to flame me for posting this without knowing her personally, first ask yourself if you knew Ted Kennedy and if that should prevent you from having an opinion about him.
--

<image copyright Soylent Communications>

(from Wikipedia)
Kopechne, born in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, was the only child of insurance salesman Joseph Kopechne and his wife, Gwen. The family moved to New Jersey when she was an infant. She attended parochial schools growing up.

After graduating with a degree in business administration from Caldwell College for Women in New Jersey in 1962, Kopechne moved to Montgomery, Alabama, to teach for a year at the Mission of St. Jude as part of the Civil Rights Movement. In 1963, she moved to Washington, D.C., to work as secretary to Florida Senator George Smathers. Kopechne joined New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy's secretarial staff, following his election in 1964. There she worked as a secretary to the senator's speechwriters and as a legal secretary to one of his legal advisers. Kopechne was a loyal and tireless worker for Robert Kennedy, in March 1967 having stayed up all night at his Hickory Hill home to type a major speech against the Vietnam War as the senator and his aides such as Ted Sorenson made last-minute changes to it.

During the 1968 U.S. presidential election, she helped with the wording of Robert Kennedy's March 1968 speech announcing his candidacy. During his campaign, she worked as one of the "Boiler Room Girls", an affectionate name given to six young women who worked from a central, windowless location in Kennedy's Washington campaign headquarters. They were vital in tracking and compiling data and intelligence on how Democratic delegates from various states were intending to vote; Kopechne's responsibilities included Pennsylvania. Kopechne and the other staffers were politically savvy; they talked daily with field managers and also served as conduits for policy statements being distributed to strategically-located newspapers.

Kopechne was devastated by the June 1968 assassination of Robert Kennedy and could not return to work on Capitol Hill. However, as her father later said, "Politics was her life," and in December 1968 she used her expertise to gain a job with Matt Reese Associates, a Washington, D.C., firm that helped establish campaign headquarters and field offices for politicians and was one of the first political consulting firms. She was on her way to a successful professional career.

She lived in the Georgetown neighborhood with three other women. She was a devout Roman Catholic with a demure, serious personality, rarely drank much, and had no reputation for extramarital activities with men.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
REPEAT THREAD: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...y-mary-jo.html

Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
No, it's not. I want to start a meaningful conversation about remembering Mary Jo and finding meaning in her death amidst the coverage of Kennedy.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
No, it's not. I want to start a meaningful conversation about remembering Mary Jo and finding meaning in her death amidst the coverage of Kennedy.
Uh huh.

Quote:
This thread rather should be about remembering a young woman whose life was cut short as a victim of another's wealth and privilege, and whose name has been trampled in the name of the "greater good."

Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
Quote:
OK. You go first.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
OK. You go first.
Well, technically I did when I started the thread...

Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 PM

Do you seriously not see that you did in your first post exactly what you said was NOT the point of the thread?

Quote:
This thread is not to bash Ted Kennedy.
And then...

Quote:
This thread rather should be about remembering a young woman whose life was cut short as a victim of another's wealth and privilege, and whose name has been trampled in the name of the "greater good." ... A conversation about the dangers of treating fellow citizens like royalty and inequality before law seems like a much better way to honor her memory.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
Quote:
Well, technically I did when I started the thread...
OK, I'll be more specific - you start - how do you "find meaning in her death amidst the coverage of Kennedy."

Old 08-26-2009, 08:36 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
I grieve for both the family of Mary Jo and that of Michael Douglas, whom people seem just to want to forget.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
OK, I'll be more specific - you start - how do you "find meaning in her death amidst the coverage of Kennedy."
It's a danger for all of us when an individual is trampled in the name of the collective good.

If the young woman's memory can be kept alive, it will serve as a warning to all of us not to throw an individual under the bus in the name of the greater good - because that one one individual might be you, or your wife, or your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies