Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:26 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It was more than a year ago. The most recent update I can find so far is from this past June. Ah, good news from July 14th. FLDS: Polygamous sect defendants have no right to challenge search, Texas A.G. says

Thank you, that is good news hopefully they put these scumbags away for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have a question... how many feel he should be locked up for life and how many believe he should receive a death penalty even with no murder occurring ?
Death penalty. Waste of resources to keep alive. Next?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:10 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""but I have to wonder, how she allowed herself to remain a prisoner for so long"""

Ya, she kidnapped herself and there was no crime comitted..

People, especially children, can be held captive with threats of death or physical harm and/or death to their families.

It WASN'T her fault. Sheesh!!!

Well she was really asking for it.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have a question... how many feel he should be locked up for life and how many believe he should receive a death penalty even with no murder occurring ?
No trial. Summary execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What I wonder - why was this guy running free after raping and kidnapping earlier?

I blame a very lax legal system most of all for what happened here.
I blame her kidnapper/rapists. Unfortunately they'll waste time and money putting them on trial. They should just shoot them and toss their bodies out for the coyotes to dispose of.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:54 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,850 times
A man's instinct for violence can never be cured

Any parent who has raised a boy will know that masculine energy and competitiveness is a fearsome force and that the presence of more than one boy in a household turns it into an arena in which the spirit of combat must be constantly held in check. The sensible family (and the well-run society) will come to terms with that rather than deny it. But over the past 30 years or so, we have somehow persuaded ourselves that we should be able to eliminate this aspect of the human condition altogether: that men, and certainly women, and ultimately the wider world would be better off if we could just suppress, or deny, the desire to vanquish the foe with which men seemed to come equipped.

Aggression was defined out of existence as a natural trait: it had to be a symptom of some social problem that could be cured such as poverty or unemployment, or else it was a psychological aberration to be treated sympathetically. Perhaps we are now ready to admit the possibility that it is with us for ever – and that we once had ways of putting it to good use.

A man's instinct for violence can never be 'cured' - Telegraph

Old 08-30-2009, 06:41 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
A man's instinct for violence can never be cured

Any parent who has raised a boy will know that masculine energy and competitiveness is a fearsome force and that the presence of more than one boy in a household turns it into an arena in which the spirit of combat must be constantly held in check. The sensible family (and the well-run society) will come to terms with that rather than deny it. But over the past 30 years or so, we have somehow persuaded ourselves that we should be able to eliminate this aspect of the human condition altogether: that men, and certainly women, and ultimately the wider world would be better off if we could just suppress, or deny, the desire to vanquish the foe with which men seemed to come equipped.

Aggression was defined out of existence as a natural trait: it had to be a symptom of some social problem that could be cured such as poverty or unemployment, or else it was a psychological aberration to be treated sympathetically. Perhaps we are now ready to admit the possibility that it is with us for ever – and that we once had ways of putting it to good use.

A man's instinct for violence can never be 'cured' - Telegraph
I generally agree with the theories set forth in the article and your opinions but in this case I would say the behavior is deviant.

This individual is 'a man'/human but something is different in his mind/soul.
Even if long discussions on the definition of violence were provided I would still believe this individual is an exception.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I generally agree with the theories set forth in the article and your opinions but in this case I would say the behavior is deviant.

This individual is 'a man'/human but something is different in his mind/soul.
Even if long discussions on the definition of violence were provided I would still believe this individual is an exception.

Its doubtful to believe that its not an issue mainly men battle with when statistics showed only a few years ago that around 95% of all crimes are committed by men, and even higher numbers of violent crime are committed by men. Crimes by women are on the increase but they don't relate as much to violence or sexual assault.
As for sexual assault, incest and so on, males again rule these crimes by a whooping 99%. Clearly this is not an exception, but these type of crimes are completely male oriented and associated with the male psyche.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Dealth penalty or life in prison?

Full castration and a life in prison is a more sever punishment. Death penalty is almost a reward to people like this.

Women should be allowed to defend themselves against any form of abuse, even by killing the assaulter without any prison term.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
Its doubtful to believe that its not an issue mainly men battle with when statistics showed only a few years ago that around 95% of all crimes are committed by men, and even higher numbers of violent crime are committed by men. Crimes by women are on the increase but they don't relate as much to violence or sexual assault.
As for sexual assault, incest and so on, males again rule these crimes by a whooping 99%. Clearly this is not an exception, but these type of crimes are completely male oriented and associated with the male psyche.
Or many have a different view when a female seduces a minor age child.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I am shocked that anyone would blame the victim in this case. Where is your compassion?
You realize he probably started raping her when he kidnapped her. No doubt physically abused her, threatened her and later her children. Her mental state had to have been unbelievable. I am sure she feared that he would find her no matter where she went and then of course she had to be concerned about if she could escape and take the children.
Kids of 11 don't know very much and he doubtless kept her restrained at first when he brought her to the sound proof building.

I assume you all have heard of Stockholm syndrome?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies