Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:36 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
NHS could cut 6,500 nurse jobs as recession bites | News | Nursing Times

In this article it states that 6500 Nurses will be potentially laid off in Britain, despite the negative effects it will have on patient care.
Once government takes over a health care system, it is vulnerable to the same budget cuts as every other governmental department when the inevitable reckoning of wasteful government spending can no longer be postponed.
Governments are painfully negligent when it come to budgets and fiscal responsibility, and yet we have proponents of socialized medicine are adamant that government is the answer.
After all they have shown us how wonderfully they can run the VA hospitals. Just ask any Gulf War Veteran about the compassionate, timely care they receive.
At 4:44 Goes to Rosebud Reservation and a woman talks about her son and his treatment at the Gov run healthcare facility on the reservation.

Glenn Beck Clips 08-19-09 Seg2- Indian Reservations: Don't Get Sick After June! Gov. Money Gone

YouTube - Glenn Beck Clips 08-19-09 Seg2- Indian Reservations: Don't Get Sick After June! Gov. Money Gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
That still does not tell me what is going to cost me to be insured.

Unless you are saying it will cost me $5000.00 to insure myself and my wife..

That's more than I was paying for our group policy at work...
You should be smart enough to know that a cost to a specific individual cannot determined on the spot and even in the current system it takes adjusters to determine that. However on average it costs about $2500 per person in Britain and about $6000 in the US. Now I am not sure what your insurance is or if you have any, but chances are while you may not pay that much now, if you get sick or need a special treatment for something, you will either see the higher ends that make that the average or go without.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No, for the millionth time, we don't want to establish a national health service where doctors and nurses are employed by the government. The issue is to provide health insurance for the public.

Why is this so hard to understand?
I want national health service. I don't want insurance, I want health care when I need it and I want that for everyone.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
thats the problem obama wants to correct that. nurses are greedy and need to share in the misery
wtf?!?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Because of the recession, the hospital which is the largest employer in the county is laying off nurses even as they complete an expansion of their facility.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Is that a good thing? A job that critical which is in such low demand. Why are so many nurses voluntarily leaving the current system?
Nurses are leaving the current system because of increased stress, long work hours, mandatory on call, mandatory working on weekends /holidays /nights, inadequate pay and benefits, combative patients, physical strain (lifting/pushing/pulling), working short staffed, etc.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
And here nurses can get a job in 5 minutes in the private system. Tell me what system is better!
Nurses get laid off here in the US. Here's a discussion board for nurses talking about it:
RN's getting laid off??? - Nursing for Nurses

A nurse was laid off during surgery (during surgery by mistake):
Nurse laid off while aiding in surgery - UPI.com

Also reported by Fox:
FOXNews.com - Nurse Called Out of Surgery, Laid Off - Incredible Health

If you do a search with nurses laid off, you'll get hits.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM

Nurses are in demand. There will always be a need for nurses.
AACN - Media - Nursing Shortage Fact Sheet

<LI class=textn>In the July/August 2009 Health Affairs, Dr. Peter Buerhaus and coauthors found that despite the current easing of the nursing shortage due to the recession, the U.S. nursing shortage is projected to grow to 260,000 registered nurses by 2025. A shortage of this magnitude would be twice as large as any nursing shortage experienced in this country since the mid-1960s. In the article titled The Recent Surge In Nurse Employment: Causes And Implications, the researchers point to a rapidly aging workforce as a primary contributor to the projected shortage.

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Governmental layoffs of nurses or any health care provider is one of the things that I fear would happen with a UHC. What would we, as patients, do if we need medical care during a recession when jobs are being cut and there isn't enough nurses (or doctors) to care for us? This is a question that has not been satisfactorily answered by the proponents of UHC.

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
It's hard to understand because I have asked a couple of times here on CD how much it will cost me for that public insurance policy and no one has answered me yet. Maybe you have the answer.
I have no idea nor do I think that anyone else does either. I suspect that the price of the proposed "public option" will be subject to considerable market analysis. Also, a great deal depends on what other cost reducing policies that will be included in the final bill. The Congressional Budget Office predicts that premiums should be around 10% less than what is available through public insurers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies