Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of home schooling?
In favor 124 49.21%
Not in Favor 76 30.16%
Don't care 52 20.63%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:19 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Did you watch the video? Did you hear all the misinformation taught to that child by his fundamentalist mother?

Finally, I am not stereotyping. It is what, or lack of what, is taught to home schooled children that I am against, not who teaches.
As compared to all the "truth" taught in public schools? Like global warming?

Scientists in stolen email scandal hid climate data - Times Online

The bottom line is that the public schools need to raise their standards a little higher before they can have a good argument against home schooling. Admittedly, some home schools are failures, but public schools fail on a massive scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:23 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,855 times
My opinion - Certainly a right, even if almost entirely exercised by religious wack-jobs non-thinkers.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
LOL

Let's get real, religion and morals are intertwined. It's always the fundies that love to tout morals.

Indeed it is. It's just sad to see kids taught fairy-tales.
Quote:
case in point

lol
Quote:
You've been here long enough to know what i mean, but nevertheless, i'll spell it out for you:

Religion = fairy-tales
Quote:
I understand that 80% of Americans align themselves with some religion and no i do not have to respect any organization. I dont expect any religion to respect atheism.

As for parochial schools, Im not too familiar with them, but if they teach religion and not logical based science, then it's a shame that kids have to go through it. I dont want to take way anyone's right, be it sending your kids to a religious school or home schooling, it just find it troubling that kids are mislead.
This guy's a pristine example of exactly why a lot of people homeschool.

A) Zero tolerance for any opinion other than his own - probably learned this behavior in public school.

B) Rather than engaging in intelligent debate, belittles the opposition and dismisses their position outright - probably learned this behavior in public school.

C) Demonstrates remarkable levels of ignorance about why people homeschool, despite dozens of pages about it in this thread alone.

D) Equates "religion" with "telling fairy tales," despite being an admitted atheist, which is a religion itself.

Newsflash, Bill: Not every religious person is a creationist. Not every person that homeschools - even if for religious reasons - dismisses science or teaches creationism.

Your willful ignorance is off the charts. YOU are EXACTLY the sort of person that motivates people to educate their children themselves, teaching them how to respect others, keep an open mind and look at every side of an issue. Nobody wants their kids to end up like you - an arrogant and ignorant person with "lol" as their sole argument when debating their position.

BTW, I'm an agnostic, and religion plays no part in our homeschool curriculum. Thought you might want to consider that before hitting the "you're just another fundie" macro.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,971 times
Quote:
No I can't blame them for home schooling due to poor schools. God knows funding for education has been dismal the past 10 years!

However, I may area, the public schools are excellent. Most that home school do it for religious purposes. Which is also a top reason nationwide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
My opinion - Certainly a right, even if almost entirely exercised by religious wack-jobs non-thinkers.

As usual, a non thinking liberal who spews untrue statements...

Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Did you watch the video? Did you hear all the misinformation taught to that child by his fundamentalist mother?

Finally, I am not stereotyping. It is what, or lack of what, is taught to home schooled children that I am against, not who teaches.
Frankly, you don't have a clue as to "what" is being taught. And yes, you are stereotyping - I say this because you take one video and apply what was done in that case (without knowing the entire context BTW) - you apply what was done and try to assert that the same misinformation / same type of misinformation is taught in ALL home schooling situations. Again - you put no limiters on your stat3ement...."in this case"...... You try to assault ALL HOME SCHOOLING as being just like that video.

That is called - stereotyping jojajn.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm in favor of allowing parents to homeschool their children. However, I also think children should be given a choice once they reach a certain age if they want to be home schooled or attend a public school. I don't think a child should be denied the same education others receive should he or she choose to attend a public school once they are at a certain age in which they would be considered competent to make that decision such as 11 or just prior to the start of middle school
You appear to be making the assumption that public schools offer a better education than homeschooling does.

Let me ask you this: If the homeschooler was using state-approved curriculum and texts, would your position be any different?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
I guess that is why many colleges are actively seeking out home schooled kids. Because they are non-thinkers. While there are many home schoolers that aren't getting a good education, many are scoring much higher on standardized tests than are public schoolers.

I know a family locally, whom you would call "religious wack-jobs", whose first three children to graduate from high school were National Merit Scholars. Most public school teachers do not even know what that is. BTW...look out, they have three more to come and they appear to be on the same trajectory.

The local public school teachers often tell me how poorly educated home schooled children are. When I relate that story to them they have a blank look. Especially when I tell them that there were only 4 NMS in all of the high schools in our district. In most cases, counselors don't even bring up the possibility to their best students because they know they probably aren't well enough educated to compete.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
As usual, a non thinking liberal who spews untrue statements...
Excuse me!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Frankly, you don't have a clue as to "what" is being taught. And yes, you are stereotyping - I say this because you take one video and apply what was done in that case (without knowing the entire context BTW) - you apply what was done and try to assert that the same misinformation / same type of misinformation is taught in ALL home schooling situations. Again - you put no limiters on your stat3ement...."in this case"...... You try to assault ALL HOME SCHOOLING as being just like that video.

That is called - stereotyping jojajn.
I know many people in my area who home school for religious reasons. All of them are fundamentalist, Evangelical, Christians. They are totally opposed to any science that teaches as much as a fact, theory, or theorem, that might go against Creation or anything in the bible. This is their number one concern. I know this because they have told me personally.

I suppose their science curriculum consists of a sun revolving around a flat earth, genetics about breeding animals near striped sticks for striped offspring, plants existing before the sun, 50 million species of animals riding out a world-wide flood of epic proportions 180 days in a wooden boat, talking animals, etc...........

Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
It is what, or lack of what, is taught to home schooled children that I am against, not who teaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
As compared to all the "truth" taught in public schools?
My personal favorite:

When she was a young kid, my girlfriend's teacher once tried to tell her that the sun and the moon could not possibly be visible in the sky at the same time. When my girlfriend disputed this, she was chastised for arguing with the teacher and had to serve detention.

As an amateur astronomer, I get a kick out of this every time it comes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies