Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 03:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yes, it is.
No. It isn't. Black and white thinking is not only wrong but dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Yes, it is.

There's a serious problem with a victim mentality in this country. Everyone feels like they're owed something just because they live in this country.

The most successful people in this world don't have degrees. They started companies from nothing. They found a need and they filled it.

It IS black and white. If something's not working for you, find something that will. Can't get a job? Create your own job.

Cut the victim mentality and take responsibility.
Institutional analysis isn't the same thing as a victim mentality.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No. It isn't. Black and white thinking is not only wrong but dangerous.
being able to tell light from darkness is a good skill.
all the falling down occurs in the grey area.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-04-2009 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 04:11 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Yes, it is.

There's a serious problem with a victim mentality in this country. Everyone feels like they're owed something just because they live in this country.

The most successful people in this world don't have degrees. They started companies from nothing. They found a need and they filled it.

It IS black and white. If something's not working for you, find something that will. Can't get a job? Create your own job.

Cut the victim mentality and take responsibility.
Agreed, but those are the 'few'.

Can't get a job create your own job? By far easier said than done. Many businesses failed miserably because of that same reasoning (and ended up worse than they started). Why do you think small businesses are struggling so much in this country.

It is quite naive to believe you can just go out and create success, without also including the numerous factors that go along with it.

I respect the will of someone to go for it, but that doesn't that person will automatically will be successful.

Hell, some businesses became successful LONG after the founder died after putting years into it.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Institutional analysis isn't the same thing as a victim mentality.
To let someone else determine your life and future means you won't have a bright future.

Nobody cares whether you succeed or fail except yourself.

Institutional analysis is a cop out and an excuse.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:16 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Agreed, but those are the 'few'.

Can't get a job create your own job? By far easier said than done. Many businesses failed miserably because of that same reasoning (and ended up worse than they started). Why do you think small businesses are struggling so much in this country.

It is quite naive to believe you can just go out and create success, without also including the numerous factors that go along with it.

I respect the will of someone to go for it, but that doesn't that person will automatically will be successful.

Hell, some businesses became successful LONG after the founder died after putting years into it.
All businesses can't be successful. Some are just bad ideas. Some weren't run properly. Some picked a service or product that had too much competition. Some didn't have any marketing expertise.

Those that fail, get up, learn from their failures and fix the problem are the ones that are successful.

Those that fail, and decide that they can't be successful are failures.

Nobody that's successful has had a "failure free" life. We just learned from our mistakes and didn't have a victim mentality.

The vast majority of businesses in this country are small businesses. Successful ones.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
The old people are the ones that have crafted the system that us young people have to work in.

If you have problems with the system and the high cost of living that is making things difficult for the rest of us you only have yourself to blame.
You work under the same system I did.. Let me know where you think it is different.

The difference between you and me is that I never blame others for my short falls.

I'll wait for you to tell me how the system was different.

I don't put the prices on products and never have.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, "company" housing. Lovely places, not!

The ones I knew about were really nice. No, I never lived in them but new people that did.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
All businesses can't be successful. Some are just bad ideas. Some weren't run properly. Some picked a service or product that had too much competition. Some didn't have any marketing expertise.

Those that fail, get up, learn from their failures and fix the problem are the ones that are successful.

Those that fail, and decide that they can't be successful are failures.

Nobody that's successful has had a "failure free" life. We just learned from our mistakes and didn't have a victim mentality.

The vast majority of businesses in this country are small businesses. Successful ones.
With all those factors you listed you would still wonder why some folks would not want to go the business-starting route?

Can you blame our youths for wanting to get a job with healthcare/benefits/higher pay rather than starting a business with none of the above?

Would you agree that starting a business isn't for everybody? (the same way college isn't for everybody)

I don't think starting a business is the great 'solver'. Hell, join the military, get a local job and move up.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You work under the same system I did.. Let me know where you think it is different.

The difference between you and me is that I never blame others for my short falls.

I'll wait for you to tell me how the system was different.

I don't put the prices on products and never have.
It's different because most of the better jobs in today's market require a college degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies