Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times

Advertisements

http://www.aflcio.org/aboutus/laborday/upload/laborday2009_report.pdf (broken link)

According to this report from the AFL-CIO, young people under 35 are strugging to gain independence and make ends meet in very large numbers. 1 in three young adults under 35 live with their parents, 31% don't have health insurance and only 31% report making enough money to pay all the bills and save at least some of their income. They are burdened with student loans and are putting off traditional "rites of passage" like buying a house and having children.

So what is causing the problem? Is it the generation itself or outside pressures out of their control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
http://www.aflcio.org/aboutus/laborday/upload/laborday2009_report.pdf (broken link)

According to this report from the AFL-CIO, young people under 35 are strugging to gain independence and make ends meet in very large numbers. 1 in three young adults under 35 live with their parents, 31% don't have health insurance and only 31% report making enough money to pay all the bills and save at least some of their income. They are burdened with student loans and are putting off traditional "rites of passage" like buying a house and having children.

So what is causing the problem? Is it the generation itself or outside pressures out of their control?
6 times out of 10 it's the parents fault for giving them unrealistic expectations.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,903,410 times
They are wise to refrain from reproduction. Imagine being tied down at the age of 35 ? Life begins at 41.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Hey, I'm 38 & I live paycheck to paycheck, have absolutely nothing in savings & can't even begin to imagine owning a home.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Sometimes it's both--parents that created what that generation is and circumstances...

Ever hear of "helicopter parents"? You know, always hovering to make sure little Johnny never gets a bump or bruise? Soemtimes that extends during their entire life where the parent never allows teh child to struggle or fail.

I had to fire a 28 year old little boy for just failing to show up for work--more than once. I got a call from his mother about it and the next day a visit from both parents wanting me to re-hire him and then furious and threatening legal action when I wouldn't.

28!! With these types of parents, the guy didn't stand a chance.

Unfortunately, I've had a couple of similar instances since.

There have always been kids of every generation who didn't make it...it just seems more prevalent today.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Sometimes it's both--parents that created what that generation is and circumstances...

Ever hear of "helicopter parents"? You know, always hovering to make sure little Johnny never gets a bump or bruise? Soemtimes that extends during their entire life where the parent never allows teh child to struggle or fail.

I had to fire a 28 year old little boy for just failing to show up for work--more than once. I got a call from his mother about it and the next day a visit from both parents wanting me to re-hire him and then furious and threatening legal action when I wouldn't.

There have always been kids of every generation who didn't make it...it just seems more prevalent today.
LOL, his parents came to his rescue, that's priceless.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:58 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Feminism caused it. Once upon a time a college degree meant that you were guaranteed to own a house by age 30. Now it's simply not true, and the reason is the DOUBLING of the workforce without doubling the demand. The cost of employees fell for the corporations because there was far more competition for the same positions and therefore they were allowed to keep the wages down. If only one member of every household was allowed to work, it would drive up the costs to employ someone because of the increased demand for their services as an employee.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

I had someone's mother call in sick for her two days in a row. I asked if she was unable to talk and her mother said "she can talk but she said you might not believe she was sick so I'm calling you"

Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Feminism caused it. Once upon a time a college degree meant that you were guaranteed to own a house by age 30. Now it's simply not true, and the reason is the DOUBLING of the workforce without doubling the demand. The cost of employees fell for the corporations because there was far more competition for the same positions and therefore they were allowed to keep the wages down. If only one member of every household was allowed to work, it would drive up the costs to employ someone because of the increased demand for their services as an employee.
Yes, let's go back to those days where I'd be chained to my kitchen while my kid is strapped to my back, have no voting rights & I can sit around the kitchen table w/Marge & Betty drinking Folgers & talking about how truly splendid my husband Ken is. Ahh, the good ole days!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Yes, let's go back to those days where I'd be chained to my kitchen while my kid is strapped to my back, have no voting rights & I can sit around the kitchen table w/Marge & Betty drinking Folgers & talking about how truly splendid my husband Ken is. Ahh, the good ole days!
LOl I always assumed you were a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies