Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 09:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Maybe the "Europeanization of America" is at play here. Perhaps in the future it will be normal to live with your parents until they die, and then take over the house. Whole generations comming and going under a single roof. That scares me.
That's a scary thought but very possible. I think with so many of the 1 and 2 children families, there will be more of that. The kid will grow up knowing he/she will inherit the house and everything the parent's own so why bother getting anything themselves. Likely the parents will both work and leave the child with a sizeable stash but also want to hold onto their prize child forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Young people aren't making it on their own...Who's to blame?

PARENTS

Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Meanwhile, in the 1950s, a man would be able to afford to buy a home large enough to support a family of four on an entry-level accountant's salary.
Or a family of 7 or 8 -- but -- each child didn't have a suite-bedroom and bathroom with his/her own phone and television and dvd player and computer. Often in the past families squeezed in small bungalow style homes, children even *gasp* sharing a bedroom and a bed. People would buy humble starter homes, even live a while in a used mobile home.

Now a home has to be a McMansion, a room and bathroom for every child.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
http://www.aflcio.org/aboutus/laborday/upload/laborday2009_report.pdf (broken link)

According to this report from the AFL-CIO, young people under 35 are strugging to gain independence and make ends meet in very large numbers. 1 in three young adults under 35 live with their parents, 31% don't have health insurance and only 31% report making enough money to pay all the bills and save at least some of their income. They are burdened with student loans and are putting off traditional "rites of passage" like buying a house and having children.

So what is causing the problem? Is it the generation itself or outside pressures out of their control?
Outsourcing of American jobs. Get it?

Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELLI2L View Post
< It's always about cheap labor -
< Corporations led the feminist movement - so they could have cheap labor. . .
< Now, they just import Illegal Immigrants. . . . . .
< And that leaves EVERYONE ELSE out of work (or haven't you noticed how many I.I. are still working) while the citizens are not. . .

And yet - the citizens keep voting for the politicians who are behind all this, that same politicans controlled by the corporations. We allow our votes to be manipulated - and we keep the globalists in power and they keep enacting laws like NAFTA and fail to enforce immigration laws so that their beloved corporations can have all the cheap labor they desire.

We no longer vote smart. We should throw both the big parties out of office and elect people who represent the American people.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Now a home has to be a McMansion, a room and bathroom for every child.
And a cell phone at age 10, an iPod/Xbox/Playstation soon after, not to mention designer clothes, and a brand new BMW/Corvette/Mustang at age 16 to drive to school...

Blame parents for spoiling their children into a false sense of entitlement.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Hey, I'm 38 & I live paycheck to paycheck, have absolutely nothing in savings & can't even begin to imagine owning a home.
I was there too, things will turn around for you if you want them to and do the right things.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
6 times out of 10 it's the parents fault for giving them unrealistic expectations.
And for not encouraging independence.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Sometimes it's both--parents that created what that generation is and circumstances...

Ever hear of "helicopter parents"? You know, always hovering to make sure little Johnny never gets a bump or bruise? Soemtimes that extends during their entire life where the parent never allows teh child to struggle or fail.

I had to fire a 28 year old little boy for just failing to show up for work--more than once. I got a call from his mother about it and the next day a visit from both parents wanting me to re-hire him and then furious and threatening legal action when I wouldn't.

28!! With these types of parents, the guy didn't stand a chance.

Unfortunately, I've had a couple of similar instances since.

There have always been kids of every generation who didn't make it...it just seems more prevalent today.
WOW! Mommy and daddy can't fight all of your battles forever. That kid needs to grow up or else he'll be depended upon his parents forever.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Seriously? I don't know if I should be flattered or offended.
A while back, I had assumed that you were a guy as well until you made some comment that dispelled that myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies