Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:59 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,552,367 times

Advertisements

For over 2,000 years marriage was between a man & a woman.

Now, it's between men & men and women & women.

Within a few years adults will be able to marry children.

Within 10 years people will be able to marry animals.

Within 30 years people will be able to marry robots: In 2050, your lover may be a ... robot - Yahoo! News (broken link)

It's just the natural progressive way we do things.

(BTW, I stole the link from the relationships forum. So kudos to the poster who originally placed it there)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 10:26 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,143,304 times
People who buy into the idea of having relationships with robots haven't watched enough sci-fi movies. That or far too many--hard to say.

And your post is generally absurd...just saying.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
marriage with robots and dogs is a great idea, this means men will be treated much better and with far greater fidelity. divorce will plunge and will be more voluntary (75% now filed by women). and even at 1/2 million bucks per robot much cheaper than current marriage system. great news.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,645,386 times
Yes, because an adult and a child are exactly the same?!
If you truly believe that then you are either a fool or a pedophile.
Or your poodle is nervous

Old 06-15-2008, 10:39 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,413,285 times
While he takes the point to an extreme, I'll agree...it is a point nonetheless.

The more deviance we find acceptable in our society, the more strange behaviors we tolerate as normal, our sense of what's decent and good in our world will change, by degrees.

Some things that are accepted in society now were unacceptable years ago. Some of this is good (i.e. civil rights, etc.) but some I believe not so good...

And we should keep in mind that tiny steps we think that don't affect us, can affect other things. And suddenly when we say "Let the gays get married in California, that doesn't affect me", we find that California marriage is recognized in the entire country. So someone who is Gay-Married in CA, moves to West Virginia and those folks have to change their laws, insurance regulations, etc. to recognize that two women are now married.

So, every little bit of deviance we tolerate, will be taken a step further and further until there are no "norms" in our society. Everything's perfectly okay.

My own opinion of course, and I'm sure I'm alone in feeling this way, so feel free to disregard.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:13 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,857,057 times
the funny thing is this. even if they allow gays to get married and it's recognized by the state, it really isn't recognized outside the gay community. I mean, I could care less who gets married, but I would never look at 2 men and think they were actually married. marriage, just another excuse for the government to make you get another license.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:19 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,444,128 times
Baloney. If a MAN marries a MAN, or a WOMAN marries a WOMAN and they are both of consenting age, they are not hurting anyone. If however and adult tries to marry a child, doesn't matter if they are same sex or not, that should be illegal. Same goes for animals, they are unable to give CONSENT.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-15-2008, 11:23 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
For over 2,000 years marriage was between a man & a woman.
Or, in many traditions during that time frame, between a man and women.

Quote:
Now, it's between men & men and women & women.
Not only that but between people who don't even have to be of the same race, what's the world coming to?

Quote:
Within a few years adults will be able to marry children.
Like back in the old traditional days of yore.

Quote:
Within 10 years people will be able to marry animals.

Within 30 years people will be able to marry robots: In 2050, your lover may be a ... robot - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Within 10 years the Muslims will have taken over America and instituted sharia law, remember? They definitely won't allow that, you right wing types can't have it both ways now.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:33 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,345,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Baloney. If a MAN marries a MAN, or a WOMAN marries a WOMAN and they are both of consenting age, they are not hurting anyone. If however and adult tries to marry a child, doesn't matter if they are same sex or not, that should be illegal. Same goes for animals, they are unable to give CONSENT.
How about a MAN marrying ten MEN. Or three WOMEN?

As long as they are all of consenting blah blah blah they're not hurting anyone, right?

And you never mentioned ROBOTS...

Old 06-15-2008, 11:40 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
How about a MAN marrying ten MEN. Or three WOMEN?

As long as they are all of consenting blah blah blah they're not hurting anyone, right?

And you never mentioned ROBOTS...
Outlawing polygamy or marriage to robots wouldn't be discriminatory in the same way not letting gay people be married is-- you're not saying anyone can never be married. With robots, being a social outcast is a much more malleable condition than sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies