Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Who knows and who cares? Not me. In fact I am starting to think that the rest of the United States would be better off if we had never had a civil war. Let the south go. Don't need them. Maybe all the cons can move to 3 states- Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas- and they can form a country of their own. That way we can be happy and they can be happy too. We are really better off without each other. Hell, I will even toss in Kansas to them if it will help!
Apparently you need "them". You made the decision to move to GA didn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Apparently you need "them". You made the decision to move to GA didn't you?

I thought we settled this

Old 09-06-2009, 07:20 PM

841 posts, read 2,261,252 times
I'd laugh and quite frankly i won't be surprised and won't give a ****

Old 09-06-2009, 07:59 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Excuse me? Your tax dollars subsidize WHAT in my state of NC at any higher rate per capita than the most populous states?

Let me inform you: the Federal dollars my state takes in are needed to fullfill FEDERAL MANDATES.
While, you are partially right, the programs the state of North Carolina are in large part federally mandated. The truth is, you receive MORE federal tax money than your state pays in by far. And this is a rule among almost all southern states except Texas and Georgia. And before you get too happy. For every $1 they are taxed, they receive 94 cents and 96 cents respectively. On the other hand New york and California only get back 79 cents for every dollar they spend.

The top 10 "donor" states are all blue states. In fact Texas and Georgia are the only traditionally red states that have the right to complain about federal taxes. The rest of you, shut up.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/sr139.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-06-2009, 08:44 PM

Is the country better off split in two? The answer is absolutely no. Is it fun to think about what it would be like if it did split? Yes. Which side would be better off? Liberals have more people, more money, more technology, and more manufacturing. It would be a preferred trading partner with the entire world. And I'm sure many areas of the world would praise us for cutting off relations with those republicans of the south who start all the wars and try to push their conservative religious agendas are the rest of the very liberal world.

The south would be a barren wasteland of poor farmers, with crumbling infrastructure(no tax dollars), vast disparities in education, and the huge minority populations would eventually bring the south more in-line with the North. But then, would we want to take you back?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,206 times
The south would not want to go back, Why, we have the sunshine, large farms, oil and minerals the most shipping ports, and by the way a lot of guns and we know how to use them.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
I'm for bringing our troops home from Texas now

Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Is the country better off split in two? The answer is absolutely no. Is it fun to think about what it would be like if it did split? Yes. Which side would be better off? Liberals have more people, more money, more technology, and more manufacturing. It would be a preferred trading partner with the entire world. And I'm sure many areas of the world would praise us for cutting off relations with those republicans of the south who start all the wars and try to push their conservative religious agendas are the rest of the very liberal world.

The south would be a barren wasteland of poor farmers, with crumbling infrastructure(no tax dollars), vast disparities in education, and the huge minority populations would eventually bring the south more in-line with the North. But then, would we want to take you back?
There is no reason why the two countries can't carry on a trade.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
The south would not want to go back, Why, we have the sunshine, large farms, oil and minerals the most shipping ports, and by the way a lot of guns and we know how to use them.

Lets see, Mexico has sunshine and I'm not too keen on moving there.

Large farms? Well 1/3rd of all food produced in the US comes from CALIFORNIA. Mostly fruits, vegetables, and dairy. A lot of meat and grains come from the midwest. While most of our seafood comes from the northeast and west coast(the gulf is a cesspool because of the poor water quality from runoff of the mississippi). So the south has fattening beef and high carb grains, and the liberal states have healthy seafood and fruits and vegetables. Sounds perfect.

Republican areas do have a lot more resources but because the per capita consumption of energy is almost 3x higher in texas than in california and new york, its not as uneven as you think(grats on your big houses, big cars, and huge sprawl).

All liberal states are actually NOTHING but ports. You have the northeast(atlantic), the rust belt(all next to the great lakes), and the northwest(pacific). Vermont is the only liberal state that doesn't have a port.

And grats on your gun, I'm sure when your economy collapses. You can use that gun to go hunting and catch your own food. And think about what great quality of life you have because you own a gun. /clap

Old 09-07-2009, 11:39 AM

20,342 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadeluxe View Post
I think you underestimate how bad it is for so many people. As they watch millionaires turn into multi-billionaires as their unemployment runs out, they understand the system is broken beyond repair. Not everyone is going to put up with it for much longer. Most of you will, but thank god not everyone.
I think you grossly underestimate the number of people that go to work, own a home, pay their rent on time, pay their other bills on time, save some money, donate some money, own one or more cars, take a vacation, have cable tv, have a PC and non-dialup internet connection, eat out, go to the mall, particpate in a hobby, volunteer at church/school/sports/Scouts and are just too damned busy taking care of their children to make time for some armed revolution.

Just my opinion, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies