Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 AM

80 posts, read 277,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you disagree? Right now I know a guy who started his own business who would hire me on the spot - I keep in touch with him for just that reason. I have applications to graduate school written up and ready to mail, just in case I lose my job. I also have a business plan written up (30+ pages) and I got to know a venture capitalist personally who would loan me the cash to start the business in exchange for a % of ownership in the company.

Having backup plans is not 'insane'. It is smart.

Most successful businesses start up through money from venture capitalists or others like them. Banks are really not necessary.

I hope so too, and as I wrote above, I am making specific plans so I will never have to deal with that. I sometimes get tired of spending my free time programming for people, or writing business plans, or writing essays for graduate school, but it is worth it to have a few solid backup plans.
While it is true that having a backup plan is a good idea you're overlooking the fact that not everyone has access to the same contacts and resources as you. Not everyone went to college and not everyone knows how to put together a proper business plan.

While you may know a venture capitalist who tells you he is willing to give you money to start up a business, there's no guarantee. The next person might know a drug dealer that'll offer $500 for every load of dope that he/she delivers. Would you favor an unemployment extension or would you prefer that he/she takes up criminal activity to support his/her family?

I'm curious as to what you would do if the VC offer dried up and you were fired from your job with no severance and no access to unemployment insurance. Graduate school isn't going to pay the bills and what happens if you get your master's only to find the unemployment rate has risen while you were in school? What would you do?

Extending unemployment not only helps those who are unemployed. It also helps the local grocery store and the local gas station among other local businesses to stay in business and make a profit. As demonstrated above, it also helps keep crime in check. Unemployed people can't get welfare if they are actively seeking work. Welfare is for those who do not have the means to find gainful employment. If we turn our backs on the unemployed and there's no other lifeline to provide assistance for these 15 million people, what do you think they will turn to to put food on the table for their families?

By the way, Grainraiser wasn't suggesting that having a backup plan was insane. He was suggesting that anyone who thinks that people are lazy because they didn't have a backup plan is insane. I would have to agree with him.

Last edited by Ration; 09-24-2009 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post

I actually like this idea.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 AM

Consider this "trickle down" economic scenario:

1. Unemployment is extended and 15 million Americans now have a small amount of cash in their pockets.
2. 15 million unemployed Americans spend a portion of this money at local businesses to provide for their families.
3. The uptick in business leads the local business owners to hire more staff.
4. Unemployed workers fill the open positions.
5. The unemployment rate drops along with support for further extensions.
6. End of story

Old 09-24-2009, 08:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ration View Post
Sounds like someone is getting a bit cynical because they suddenly find themselves in a higher tax bracket since "you know who" took office. Now Mr. big shot home business boy doesn't want anybody else to get something he can't. That's really the issue here isn't it?
If you've followed my postings ever, I dont pay income taxes legally, and havent for over 7 years, ironically ever since I became self employed.
Quote:
What kind of home business do you run? I'll bet my last $20 you're one of those annoying twits who send emails to folks posting ads on craigslist asking them to check out your website for a great business opportunity only to screw people out of $50 to refer them to a drop-ship supplier that they could have found using Google. Is that how you make your money?
I own a property investment company, a distribution company, a retail company, a publishing company, a football team, (pro indoor team), dozens of land trust corporations, a consulting business, next week I'm closing on an airport, within the next few months my hedge fund will be created, btw, many of theses started with zero capital and no credit.

Name 5 businesses one can start with little startup costs, gladly,
landscaping company
internet retail
distributor
property investor
Hell, you can even start an advertising agency
Quote:
If you don't like it, tell your Senators and see how far that gets ya. So far the only correct information you have provided is that you are bitter because someone else might get something that you can't. Perhaps if you stopped banging your head against the wall you would be able to think more clearly.
Actually I dont need to tell my Senator, if I'm correct, this whole thread is about how you want people to call and beg for their senators support for higher welfare benefits.

p.s. you sound angry.. why is that, because someone pointed out facts to you?
p.s.s. just because they call it "insurance" doesnt mean its not welfare. In order for it not be welfare, you would fund your own plan, which you arent, taxpayers have to fund the plan, and the more you extend it, the more it becomes welfare.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Consider this "trickle down" economic scenario:

1. Unemployment is extended and 15 million Americans now have a small amount of cash in their pockets.
2. 15 million unemployed Americans spend a portion of this money at local businesses to provide for their families.
3. The uptick in business leads the local business owners to hire more staff.
4. Unemployed workers fill the open positions.
5. The unemployment rate drops along with support for further extensions.
6. End of story
Um, this would be the trickle up theory, which has proven time and time again that its failed. You also ignore the fact that in order for this theory to work, the money comes FROM WHO? Really, you sound like you'd be better off applying for welfare..

Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 AM

Recently there was a hearing in the Senate Finance Commitee where opponents and proponents of extending unemployment debated the pros and cons of extending benefits. Whether you're for or against this measure, the video is an interesting watch. You can view it here:

Committee Viewer

Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you've followed my postings ever, I dont pay income taxes legally, and havent for over 7 years, ironically ever since I became self employed.

I own a property investment company, a distribution company, a retail company, a publishing company, a football team, (pro indoor team), dozens of land trust corporations, a consulting business, next week I'm closing on an airport, within the next few months my hedge fund will be created, btw, many of theses started with zero capital and no credit.

Well good for you! Now with all these businesses you own, how many people do you employ or are you just making stuff up?

Name 5 businesses one can start with little startup costs, gladly,
landscaping company
internet retail
distributor
property investor
Hell, you can even start an advertising agency

I asked for 5 that can be started with NO capital. All of these require a significant startup investment. You can't even get that right and you own how many businesses?

Actually I dont need to tell my Senator, if I'm correct, this whole thread is about how you want people to call and beg for their senators support for higher welfare benefits.

p.s. you sound angry.. why is that, because someone pointed out facts to you?
No I'm not angry because someone pointed out facts to me. I'm not angry at all because you have yet to state anything correctly other than your opinion. In fact I'm quite pleased that this extension WILL pass and when it does, it'll leave a third degree burn on your rectum. I would think with all your money you would have better things to do than spend your time writing 13,000 + posts here on this site. But of course B.S.ing is your true line of business isn't it?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Um, this would be the trickle up theory, which has proven time and time again that its failed. You also ignore the fact that in order for this theory to work, the money comes FROM WHO? Really, you sound like you'd be better off applying for welfare..
Again, read before you post. It only makes you appear to be more of an idiot when you don't. The money comes from employers not you so go have a dip in the pool and cool off a bit.

P.S. Nobody with any education starts off a sentence with "Um,". Einstein said it best when he stated, "the only infinites known to man are the universe and human stupidity...and I'm not 100% sure about the universe".

Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:

Dude, yeah? Closing on an airport? I've heard that online people can claim to own anything and be anything. I happen to own a few sports teams as well. I have an active diamond mine in South Africa. And I do all of this from the comfort of my 12,000 sq ft. mansion overlooking the Palisades. Next week, I'm having a meeting with Bill Gates.

Oh yes, I'm sure you'll think that I am "jealous" of you, to which I answer "no not really". Of course, I happen to enjoy my life. But more importantly, I don't believe an iota of online boasts...

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Dude, yeah? Closing on an airport? I've heard that online people can claim to own anything and be anything. I happen to own a few sports teams as well. I have an active diamond mine in South Africa. And I do all of this from the comfort of my 12,000 sq ft. mansion overlooking the Palisades. Next week, I'm having a meeting with Bill Gates.

Oh yes, I'm sure you'll think that I am "jealous" of you, to which I answer "no not really". Of course, I happen to enjoy my life. But more importantly, I don't believe an iota of online boasts...
I'm still laughing at this one! Big bump for Riaelise! See you at the country club for a round of golf later today lol. By the way, didn't the Arena League just file for bankruptcy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies