Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 07:01 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times

Advertisements

I am wondering about what the sources of staunch anti-americanism is around the world. I suspect that it varies by region. However, I would like to hear what other think about my basic theories (so others can exand on them) and come up with additional ideas of their own.
In Latin America, I believe that much of it has to do with the belief in the "dependency theory" that theorizes that the countries of the south are too economically tied to the all-powerful to develop on their own. Of course, historical reasons are also in existance (ex. our early 20th century involvement in the region has given the region this belief that the US controls everything around the world). However, it appears almost as if the US has turned into the regional scapegoat for all of the regions problems.
The Islamic world...Ignorance of our culture. Our culture is so alien to them I believe that this has much to do with it. I have to reject the theory that US foreign policy is the source due to the fact that Anti-foreign sentiment in the Middle East and Islamic World. Most European countries are more pro-palestine and have had much different relationships with the Islamic World than the US...however, Europeans would NOT be spared from the hatred of the Islamists.
In Europe, I believe that much of it has to do with two reasons...The left-of-center ideology of Europe is one (the US is more conservative than the US in many areas). However, I really do believe that it is almost "chic" to bash the US. Everyone else does it, scholars, journalists, politicians...why not join in?
What does everyone else think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Bascailly once you become the top dog people start to blame all the problems on you.The british and the french were hated for centuries around the world and still are. It goes with the territory and you just have to take it with a grain of salt especially with the record of many og those that critise.Look at the middle eastern countries druing WWII and you will see that many supported Hitler and nothign as changed much since then.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
The Islamic world...Ignorance of our culture. Our culture is so alien to them I believe that this has much to do with it. I have to reject the theory that US foreign policy is the source due to the fact that Anti-foreign sentiment in the Middle East and Islamic World. Most European countries are more pro-palestine and have had much different relationships with the Islamic World than the US...however, Europeans would NOT be spared from the hatred of the Islamists.
US foreign policy IS the culprit. The issue with the middle east (hence, mostly Islamic) countries started in years just following WWII, with formation of Israel, but most importantly, the US role in Iran for oil. Up until that time, Iran was a successful democracy, and a close ally. But, the coup supported by the Brits and the USA in 1953, has had a lasting impact.

In addition,we're also paying the price of our actions during the cold war. Afghanistan and Pakistan come to mind. In the former, we created and supported Al Qaeda to defeat USSR. We also affected democratic set up in Pakistan by continuously supporting dictatorship in Pakistan, and today it is mostly a failed democracy and a breeding ground for Islamic extremists. The Pakistan debacle mostly started in the Nixon years when he supported Pakistan's denial of results from democratic elections (which ultimately led to birth of Bangladesh). Nixon supported genocide and oppression of East Pakistanis (1971) by supporting Pakistan waging war against India.

Foreign policies is all it comes down to.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:46 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
If foreign policy is so powerful, why not just take over Israel and give it to the Palestinians? I would be willing to risk the great loss of Israel in the effort to maybe make friends with an entire region of the world instead of a tiny settlement of squatters.

I would think that most of the "smart" guys would say that Israel has a major stabilizing effect on the region. Really? Again, really? That is why we see all the countries of the middle east becoming more moderate and democratic right?

The fact is that the area is so "stable" that eliminating Israel could be the best thing we have done for US/Middle East relations in that area ever. We are responsible for putting the squatters there, what have we gotten in return for our continued support? A whole region of the world hates us.

And we continually turn a blind eye to Israeli expansion to make the hatred grow. Really, what is our interest in an Israeli State? So we have a tiny hated occupying nation that likes us and an entire region that hates us for being their friends. I don't see the logic of defending the squatters anymore. Furthermore, their aggressive expansion makes them no better than any other invading force in the world. We should send troops to stop them from taking any more palestinian land.

Just my opinion, nothing more.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascailly once you become the top dog people start to blame all the problems on you.The british and the french were hated for centuries around the world and still are. It goes with the territory and you just have to take it with a grain of salt especially with the record of many og those that critise.Look at the middle eastern countries druing WWII and you will see that many supported Hitler and nothign as changed much since then.
When "top dogs" start acting like rabid puppies, who can blame their victims for hating them ?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:57 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
I've been told for 8 years that it was Bush's fault.

Now Obama is president. Certainly that means this country is suddenly loved... wasn't that part of more than one of Obama's campaign speeches? Wasn't he going to "unite" us all and "improve" the way we are viewed internationally? Or has he just discovered that we were thought of even worse than he realized back in January, so now the numbers are actually better though they look worse?

*Really, people - I need a smilie that laughs while rolling around on the ground*

BTW... I don't really think it's funny. I think it's horribly tragic that so many fell for Obama's false promises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies