Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:59 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,719 times

Advertisements

Father wants son's beating treated as a hate crime - CNN.com

Quote:
Brian Milligan Sr. believes his son's race triggered a brutal attack on the streets of Buffalo, New York. Milligan Jr lies in a hospital bed. The attack broke his jaw and left a 3-inch gash on his head.

Armed with a chunk of concrete, several assailants beat Brian Milligan Jr. on the back of the head on August 18, leaving a 3-inch gash. They kicked him in the face, breaking his jaw.

Bloodied and bruised, the 18-year-old managed to walk five blocks to his grandmother's house before being rushed to the hospital.

Milligan's father believes several African-Americans beat his son, who is white, because he is dating an African-American woman. He wants police to treat the beating as a hate crime. He also has criticized what he calls a deafening silence from the community, police and the national media.

"If this was a black guy who was beaten by a group of white guys for dating a white girl, people would be up in arms," he said. "There's a double standard."

Buffalo police believe a group of about 10 to 15 African-American men attacked Milligan late at night, police spokesman Mike DeGeorge said. Police have made no arrests and are still investigating the motive, he said.

Milligan Sr. says he believes the attackers are the same "neighborhood guys" who threatened his son and his African-American girlfriend because of their interracial relationship.

The younger Milligan and his girlfriend, Nicola Fletcher, who is also 18, had recently complained of an increase in insults and threats in east Buffalo, where Fletcher lives and where Milligan was staying with his grandmother, Fletcher said.

"Every time they walk the streets, people stop him and call him 'cracker' and ask her why she's not with a black guy," Milligan Sr. said.
Anyone else getting tired of the double standard against whites? If it was 15 whites on 1 black, it'd be national headlines and the black leaders would be in an uproar, as usual. Why don't they condemn this crap? So its ok for a black guy to date the fat white women but the white guys can't date the black women without getting beat up?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
There is a double standard in the media and it is wrong to not acknowledge that it does exist. But the medias double standards in regards to what it reports goes the other way as well ---- missing young pretty white teen? Tons of national television coverage. Missing young pretty black teen? Local coverage but thats it.

However what I find more troubling is the flack this guy and his girlfriend were getting for being involved with one another. I had hoped that we left this type of crap behind 20+ years ago.
Is Buffalo that far behind the times?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
This is WRONG.

I cannot believe this. And I agree that the double standard is disgusting.

I certainly hope this young man recovers. I wish that these things did not happen. Love is so rare to find and if anyone is lucky to find it, it should be respected.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post

Anyone else getting tired of the double standard against whites? If it was 15 whites on 1 black, it'd be national headlines and the black leaders would be in an uproar, as usual. Why don't they condemn this crap? So its ok for a black guy to date the fat white women but the white guys can't date the black women without getting beat up?

While I am not a big fan of Hate Crime Laws, This is a hate crime. It was racially motivated

Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Before everyone convicts these kids of a hate crime, its always worth remembering Jenna, Lousiana before you rush to judgment.

Why does the media have this so-called "double standard" in race based reporting? Because its relatively rare that groups of white guys beat up black guys. Or is it? I seem to remember hearing that the media totally ignored some "hate crimes" in the days after Hurricane Katrina.

Katrina's Hidden Race War

Old 09-07-2009, 10:09 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Before everyone convicts these kids of a hate crime, its always worth remembering Jenna, Lousiana before you rush to judgment.

Why does the media have this so-called "double standard" in race based reporting? Because its relatively rare that groups of white guys beat up black guys. Or is it? I seem to remember hearing that the media totally ignored some "hate crimes" in the days after Hurricane Katrina.

Katrina's Hidden Race War
Boy did you pick the wrong example. The media used the Jena story to make the black attackers out to be the victims in order to try to defend their actions. Several of the Jena 6 have been repeatedly in trouble with the law since then proving they were no angels.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Boy did you pick the wrong example. The media used the Jena story to make the black attackers out to be the victims in order to try to defend their actions. Several of the Jena 6 have been repeatedly in trouble with the law since then proving they were no angels.

Some people will not explain the entire story.

The Jenna 6 are thug pigs who were falsely made out to be the victims when in fact they were not at all.

I see this poster purposely leaving out that little bit of info that these attacker thugs have been in trouble over and over again ever since. Why? Because they got away with it the first time and believe it is ok.

All 6 should be in jail yet today.

OP- People are getting sick of the double standards towards whites like this. More and more is coming out showing this has been happening all along and the media has been hiding it.

Yes, this is a hate crime and some believe hate crimes can only be one way. Well, they are not one way at all.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:05 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
This definitely seems to be a racially-motivated attack which should have never happened in the first place. I can't believe that this while man was brutally beatened because he had the audacity of dating a black female! Seems our country is a long way from racial harmony if folks are still having issues in accepting an interracial couple. As this story painfully illustrates, all racial groups can be guilty of racism and it isn't just a "white thing!"

Old 09-08-2009, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post

it looks like some dumb savages can't fight one on one. Cowards.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
This is hate crime. Regardless of his or her race, I think any intelligent person can recognize this is a hate crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies