Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree, I've long considered the vast majority of Congress to be a bordello where all virtue is for sale; bring money, get a loophole.

Meanwhile, I've corrected the title of this thread to show "REP" instead of "SEN."
Thanks for correcting my gaffe, an honest mistake but nonetheless a mistake, thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Criminal acts should be prosecuted as just that, criminal acts.

This has nothing to do with providing health care to a sick individual that requires treatment. As I said elsewhere, I do not want my karma carrying the load of refusing medical treatment to a sick child no matter what their legal status happens to be. I say provide the care and let the bean counters figure it out after the fact.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:16 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Criminal acts should be prosecuted as just that, criminal acts.

This has nothing to do with providing health care to a sick individual that requires treatment. As I said elsewhere, I do not want my karma carrying the load of refusing medical treatment to a sick child no matter what their legal status happens to be. I say provide the care and let the bean counters figure it out after the fact.
I hope dogma runs over your karma with the quickness. Its easy to throw around the "sick child" argument and get everyone all "wee wee'd" up about it. But while your focusing on a sick child, the bean counters are taking more of your paycheck. My sympathy runs out when my bank account is affected. I have no sympahthy (NONE) for illegals. We are a nation of laws. Don't like it? Go back to Mexico and come back legally.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

The left is so into "we should be like the rest of the world" crap. The British Parliament acts like this all the time. Guess we like their healthcare plan, but to the heck how they treat their Prime Minister!
LOL I know, some of these people should watch the British Parliament on C-SPAN sometime, it makes our Congress seem quiet as a library.

(I'm not implying I want our system to be like the British, just sayin'...)

Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
My "premise" is a fact of life for people who read analytically. Qualifiers are key to interpretating accurately any data or claims arising from that data.

The fact is that this bill is still in the draft state. "Voted down" is a misleading comment. There is not an intention to insure illegal immigrants.
The health care reform bill specifically mandates insurance. The Democrats voted down an amendment that would require citizen verification to obtain such insurance and/or funding for such insurance. The intent is to insure illegal immigrants. That intent will only be disproved when Congress adds a citizen verification requirement, as medicaid has.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
I like this

"That's what the GOP now is: the worst aspects of the old Democratic party combined with a nihilism that is only eclipsed by its catastrophic governance for the past eight years. Defeating these morons and actually creating a discourse for reform is what we elected Obama to do. But they still insist on doing it to themselves, don't they? That's the silver lining."

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
It is that Obama is telling a lie , not what the lie was.
Does it bother you that he lies and the proof is available for you to read ?
It would bother me if he lied but I have not been able to figure out what the lie is supposed to be. If you know exactly what he lied about and can show how it is a falsehood, please do so. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Not only did Democrats not even read the HR3200 bill, they also didn't read the Congressional Research Service (CRS) report.

Obamacare won't cover illegal immigrants? Yes it will, says Congressional Research Service

Congressional Research Service Report on HR3200 (http://ryanjames.us/HR3200NonCitizen.pdf - broken link)

Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Not only did Democrats not even read the HR3200 bill, they also didn't read the Congressional Research Service (CRS) report.

Obamacare won't cover illegal immigrants? Yes it will, says Congressional Research Service

Congressional Research Service Report on HR3200 (http://ryanjames.us/HR3200NonCitizen.pdf - broken link)
Guess Wilson was calling the CRS a liar.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The health care reform bill specifically mandates insurance. The Democrats voted down an amendment that would require citizen verification to obtain such insurance and/or funding for such insurance. The intent is to insure illegal immigrants. That intent will only be disproved when Congress adds a citizen verification requirement, as medicaid has.
We could argue all day about "intentions" and get nowhere.

The facts according to the Yahoo fact-check column cited in another thread:

THE FACTS: The facts back up Obama. The House version of the health care bill explicitly prohibits spending any federal money to help illegal immigrants get health care coverage. Illegal immigrants could buy private health insurance, as many do now, but wouldn't get tax subsidies to help them. Still, Republicans say there are not sufficient citizenship verification requirements to ensure illegal immigrants are excluded from benefits they are not due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies