Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I cook at home, drive an 11 year old vehicle, don't play lottery or gamble, don't do vacations etc. What's killing us is the uncovered medicle bills. My DH has heart disease, had a heart attack and surgery, I have MS. Every month we pay as much as we can on medical bills but, as we both need to see Dr.s and have some tests done regularly the bills keep rolling in. Even if we could afford more health insurance, we are basically uninsurable at this time. Should I just let the bills pile up and apply for assistance? I think I'll just keep plugging away trying to pay as much as I can.

If this is true, please see about applying for medicaid or SSI/medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 02:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMyBumper View Post
It's about the routine medical care that people without insurance can't get.
That is not true. Anyone can get "routine" medical care at a clinic or doctor.
That person just needs to open their wallet and pay with their own money.
But I guess that's not good enough..they want someone else to pay for their routine care.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:41 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Most hospitals have funds for those that cannot pay for medical treatment in an emergency situation. If you have large medical bills you can apply for medicaid, there is a formula to offset income as related to medical bills.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
I cook at home, drive an 11 year old vehicle, don't play lottery or gamble, don't do vacations etc. What's killing us is the uncovered medicle bills. My DH has heart disease, had a heart attack and surgery, I have MS. Every month we pay as much as we can on medical bills but, as we both need to see Dr.s and have some tests done regularly the bills keep rolling in. Even if we could afford more health insurance, we are basically uninsurable at this time. Should I just let the bills pile up and apply for assistance? I think I'll just keep plugging away trying to pay as much as I can.
You're paying hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars a month in medical bills and you're NOT GETTING BETTER. Does it take a tree to fall on you to make you realize that DOCTORS do not make you HEALTHY. How much longer are you going to throw away money on USELESS treatments that only prolong your misery and illness? My GOD why can't people like you understand that you can BE HEALTHY and cured.

I cannot believe that people are so duped that they are willing to suffer their whole lives so that doctors and big pharma can continue to get richer and richer at their expense.

It's mind boggling.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-12-2009, 02:45 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Most hospitals have funds for those that cannot pay for medical treatment in an emergency situation. If you have large medical bills you can apply for medicaid, there is a formula to offset income as related to medical bills.

Oh.. okay. in otherwords you are advocating that smoeone ELSE pay for someone else's medical care.

Is that not your argument AGAINST a socialized medical system.. that you don't want to pay for someone else's medical care??

LOL.. hmm.. so your answer is to apply for tax payers money to pay for the medical care.

Gotcha..

But be damned if we actually adopt a system where this person could have actually been paying an AFFORDABLE premium and/or contributing tax dollars toward medical care (like in the UK).... and.. paying for it himself by being a part of the system.. rather than a victim of it now forced to apply to have others pay it for him.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:47 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
My daughter called last night to say she was rushing my sister's husband to the hospital. He had some kind of nuclear test yesterday and the doctor called last night and told my sister to get the guy to the emergency room. He has a badly damaged heart. He has no insurance! Why did he have a doctor? What was he doing having a test done? Why did the doctor tell him to go to the hospital? Those who want UHC claim he will not be treated because he has NO INSURANCE. He is still in the hospital! The doctor, the hospital and everyone else knows he has no insurance. He won't work. He is in his mid 50's so is not eligible for medicare. My sister only gets about $300 a month for SS. This just can't be!!
Did he go to a private doctor's office or an urgent care center? In either case, in my area, if you have no insurance, you pay for the visit. I expect that is the case with him, as well. Now as for the cost of his hospitalization- we will all pay for that. If you sister only gets about $300 a month for SS, then I guess we have been paying for her, as well.

In any event, I don't remember any discussion about emergency treatment being eliminated for non-insureds with UHC.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

I cannot believe that people are so duped that they are willing to suffer their whole lives so that doctors and big pharma can continue to get richer and richer at their expense.
It's been ingrained into people that medicine and doctors will make them well.

"preventative" medicine is the biggest farce going these days.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke then fix it, don't take a number of drugs to cover up the ailments..fix the ailments themselves.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If this is true, please see about applying for medicaid or SSI/medicare.
We are "older" we have medicare as well as private insurance through AARP. This does not cover everything. There are always portions of each bill left that we are reqired to pay "out of pocket". Because I've not hit retirement age yet, I recieve S.S. Disability as I worked full time until I was no longer able. I could apply for medicaid as well but, I really don't want to.
It just becomes so frustrating,.. If only I could have ONE plan I paid into instead of having to coordinate several differant pieces and trying to figure out what is "covered" and what isn't.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
We are "older" we have medicare as well as private insurance through AARP. This does not cover everything. There are always portions of each bill left that we are reqired to pay "out of pocket". Because I've not hit retirement age yet, I recieve S.S. Disability as I worked full time until I was no longer able. I could apply for medicaid as well but, I really don't want to.
It just becomes so frustrating,.. If only I could have ONE plan I paid into instead of having to coordinate several differant pieces and trying to figure out what is "covered" and what isn't.
So this is your choice to pay the bills rather than apply for medicaid.
Then why are you frustrated ? You CHOSE not to apply for medicaid.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM

Okay,... spare the attacks people. I'm an advocate of health care reform. I was not ADVOCATING that someone else pay for anyone's medical care. I was simply stating that these programs exist and that in the situation cited by the OP, the ill person may be able to get some help rather than face the medical bills which WILL be coming in.
As for getting better.............. I will not get better...... I have a degenetative nuerological disease. It can be managed but it will NOT be cured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies